• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

BBC Ghostwatch (1992 Television Pseudo-Documentary)

ghostwatch

go to bbc .com and type ghostwatch on search bar there is stuff there on that special. :D

See FT67 for my critique of the original transmission, the opinions of a few pundits, and coverage of the furore that followed.

Some one did commit suicide as a result of watching the programme. It happened in Nottingham and was reported in the local paper 'The Nottingham Evening Post'. The young man concerned suffered with some form of mental disability and his body was found the next day in the near by 'Wollaton Park' where he had hung himself. I can't remember how but it was reported that he had said that he didn't want to live in a world where ghosts existed and the events shown in the programme actually took place. The programme and the aftermath, including this death, was covered in an article in the FT a few years ago.

Bloody repeats eh.

Spooky air of déja vu about this whole thread.

Ghostwatch was done in the Childhood Fears thread a few
weeks ago. 2nd time of telling.:eek:

Anyway the BBC are bringing Ghostwatch back as a monthly
hosted by Nick Ross and the ghost of Jan Dildo.

At the end of the show, she will turn to the camera and say

"Do have nightmares!" :eek:

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and was just thinking about posting a query about this programme, when...

I came across this thread ...

Spooky, eh?

I remember this programme well, and wondered why it was never repeated. The fact that it would be advertised as a repeat wouldn't take away from the chilling drama of it, as we're all meant to be suspending our disbelief anyway, right?

Why deprive today's children of lifelong trauma?

I knew from the start that it was fiction, but I was still scared (I was watching it alone for some reason) - I mean, the ending would have given it away if nothing else did.

No matter how clearly it was advertised as fiction, some people would just not have got it. Clear parallels to the War of the Worlds, dontcha think?

That programme scared me silly!! even though i knew it was a drama i forgot the half way through....doh!!!

EEK!

When I saw Ghostwatch with a load of workmates and friends at YHA York, we didn't realise that it was a drama at first, as we were flicking channels quite regularly to check out the Halloween stuff on them. Gradually, we realised that something weird was up on BBC 1, and as more of us finished work and came into the staff flat we shushed them and kept watching, fuelled by about 8 gallons of my homebrew cider.

One guy saw Pipes through the window (on the telly, I mean) and started shouting something like "It was there!! i saw it!!", and got a bit excited. I'm not sure when exactly I realised that it was a drama, but the credits at the end were a dead giveaway, and we all seemed to have twigged by then!

Later on, we all crapped ourselves when we opened a curtain to see two pale figures moving about in the dark courtyard outside! Luckily, it was only some American girls who'd come back late to find themselves locked out of the hostel!:eek: :eek: :eek:

i thought they would at least show a clip or two on i love 1992 but there was no trace about it.
:(

Ghostwatch Clips

cenobite said:
i thought they would at least show a clip or two on i love 1992 but there was no trace about it.
:(

There are a couple of clips (Sarah Greene's fate and Parky getting posessed) on the BBC website. Still put the wind up me after all this time, lets hope the DVD rumours are right! Given the resolution and the ability to get a crystal clear pause, we should be able to get a definative list of all the bits where Pipes puts in an appearance...

I saw the ghost watch programme on http://www.ebay.co.uk as a video by putting 'watch' into the search engine it came up amongst other things as for the quality of the tape I have no clue but it claims the video is rare if they are still selling I have no clue.

I remember watching it in 1992 and was never more scared by a tv programme before or since, my dad watched it as well but he realised much quicker that it was not real.

I can confirm the subtitles used were pre-recordered and were not live something I did not realise at the time

The boy who hanged himself had mental problems I believe as I remember his mum talking about things in an interview in the papers the ghost watch programme did not help matters but did not seem the only reason for his suicide.

Yes I can confirm Sarah Green is alive and well she was on a collectors show on channel four last year or there abouts but she was probably better off staying in that stair cupboard anyway...

:spinning

I remember this as well. I was quite young at the time and it scared me witless! I remember the bit that LucyDru is talking about - I was seeing ghosts in corners for days after that!! I felt so damn stupid when I found out it was a fake. Just shows you how easily you can be taken in....

ShaRen :)

Christ am I the only person here over 30 or just a heartless unimaginative cynic?!!! Ghostwatch was HYSTERICAL. I mean it was fairly well done etc and Parkenstein et al. added a certain pseudo-gravitas but scary? convincing?!! heh heh it had me in stitches .... nothing quite like PRESENTERS trying to ACT to have you rolling about in the isles!!!
In short ... great show .... no prizes from this lizard for realism!
:)

As I have read on a thread, you are not the only one over 30. There are people 50+ who use this.

lucydru

lucydru said:
As I have read on a thread, you are not the only one over 30. There are people 50+ who use this.

lucydru
...like me. (And I still have most of my own teeth and can wipe my own bum.)

I was pretty well informed on the paranormal when I saw the programme, which actually reinforced the apparent reality of it for me, because the researchers and writer had done a good job, including numerous little details that don't occur in the average horror story. But it veered away from reality for me when a woman researcher mentioned ley lines, which seemed rather out of character for this supposed scientist.

But still an excellent programme.

(Ley Lines would make a good thread by themselves - I'm agin 'em!)

My mother always finds the film slueth pretty scary, it's that sailor doll in the background that always looks like it's moved to view them talking.

As for a novel, well I think those who have said that a feeling of helplessness is pretty frightening - but hows about something political, the idea that a majority of people vote against something, try to get something debated but nobody wants to talk about it or listen?

I find that scary sometimes, the idea that stuff like memworth hill, echelon etc won't be debated, ok we have to have secrets but you can bet that our enemies know far more than the tax payers 99% of the time..which is probably the point..

Jolly

ghostwatch

begging query,has anyone got a copy of this?if so would they be willing to get a copy to me.im willing to cover costs,etc.

its just that this weekend i've been talking about it & my copy was wiped by accident years ago.
my email is [email protected]

i found a website about it a while ago. I'll try to find it again. The BBc will not let it be repeated!!!!
Oddly the thing that scared me the most was the picture above the fire place.
BTW the bbc do say now it was a spoof.
I also think there is an internet group of fans!!

ghostwatch and stuff 26 oct

U.K horizons may be repeating it on friday 26 oct as part of their ghost night as they are screening a programme with the same title-it may be worth checking out as with the rest of the stuff thats on.

Although I now feel foolish to admit it Ghostwatch did freak me out at the time. I'd just got in from a gruelling 12 hour journey & was living in a house that had seen a fair bit of poltergeist activity over the past few months & I was SCARED :eek!!!!:

Try http://www.ebay.co.uk they had videos of it for sale but may not or will probably not do so now, just stick ghostwatch into the search engine and see what comes up

If no luck there go to http://www.bbc.co.uk and type in ghostwatch it may take you to ghostwatch related sights other than whats on the bbc servers

Finally if still no luck there are posts on ghostwatch in the forum (way back in them) which has links maybe you will find something there

hope this helps!

Is Ghostwatch even available in the American video format? I see it on ebay every once and awhile, but after getting burned for 30 bucks on the Star Wars Holiday special, I'm very wary of badly dubbed bootlegs.

Ogopogo said:
Is Ghostwatch even available in the American video format? I see it on ebay every once and awhile, but after getting burned for 30 bucks on the Star Wars Holiday special, I'm very wary of badly dubbed bootlegs.
i got a copy from e bay.its not perfect but it omly cost a fiver so not bad considering the bbc will never probably release it.

I finally saw GHOSTWATCH

Do you envy me? I know I do.

Not bad. Definitely better than the Bland Witch Project. But I can't believe anybody thought this thing was real. What was the deal with it supposedly being linked to a suicide or two?

*shriek* No! i've only just got over reading the other threads on Ghostwatch.

I was 11. it scared the living shit out of me, and even the thought of it still gives me the creeps! i tumbled it was fake about half way through, but that didn't stop the fear.
as for people who weren't eleven thinking it was real, it just goes to show the power of Michael Parkinson.
How was the acting in it? i can't remember

If that's the programe I think it is, my mum told me it was fake before I watched it. (Right, that's her on the list along with Iain Lee and Daisy Donavan for telling the end of Sixth Sence before I got to see it!lol ;) ) Did it have Phillapa Forester or some other brunett bird in it too?
Mind you, the end gave it away quite a bit anyway didn't it? Camera panning across a now deserted studio with a high wind and lots of paper flying around. :rolleyes:

spoilsport mother! mine threatened to turn off before the end, but i managed to persuade her that it would be much worse for me if i never knew what happened!

It had Sarah Green in it, and Mike Smith and Criag Charles. and yeah the ending was shite, but the sheer terrifying-ness of the rest of it made up for that.

I saw it and knew it was a fake but it was really chilling at the end even when knowing that.

Btw Ogopogo, I thought the Blair Witch thngy was quite good but when I saw it at the Cinema, the end (when the cast list comes up) was made more amusing by a bunch of 13 yr olds who'd sneaked in with fake ID shouting "IS THAT IT?" :D

I think I was 14 when I saw Ghostwatch. It was good, especially right at the end when Parky was walking along singing lullabys...haha.
As for the Blair Witch Project over-hyped, snot dripping into a camera isn't scary..."Oh no, it's throwing stones......RUNAWAY" oooh so creepy.

I was about 11 when i saw it and realised it was fake when a very unconvincing ghost of a cavalier or somesuch walked through the childrens bedroom.
I think what made it seem so real was that it was trailed as such and ( I think) it was on the BBC which in thoses days still had some credibilty and we wouldn't have expected such lies except on April the 1st.

But more to the point how did you get to see it?

Back