• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

BBC Ghostwatch (1992 Television Pseudo-Documentary)

I second that. I never saw the program, only read about it in the papers the following day. Spill. How did you get to see it? :)

Let's just say that Ebay is your friend, regardless of video format.

Video and DVD release at some point?

LATEST NEWS

8 APRIL 2002 EXCLUSIVE!

GW TO BE RELEASED ON VIDEO AND DVD

A DISTRIBUTOR HAS CONFIRMED DIRECTLY TO THIS WEBSITE THAT THEY HAVE SECURED RIGHTS TO RELEASE GHOSTWATCH ON DVD AND VIDEO.
AT THE MOMENT WE HAVE NO IDEA ON RELEASE DATES ETC - PLEASE VISIT THIS SITE AGAIN FOR MORE INFORMATION AS IT COMES THROUGH TO US!

As of July 14, I have received no more information

You can get a copy for £2 from all the usuall film pirates or give neil a PM as he does a little service selling fortean documentry's i got 18 docs for £20 of him, thats little over a quid a doc!

GHOSTWATCH: worst show on Earth ?

Just got hold of an average quality copy of GHOSTWATCH from 1992 (BBC2) after originally recording over my copy, but what a pile of $*#@!!! I can't understand all the fuss....I couldn't even understand the fuss when I originally watched it when I was 17. Badly acted is an understatement! Why do the presenters, Mike Smith, Sarah Green etc try to act ? I realise it was all a hoax but it somehow obtained cult status...tragic considering the amount of far scarier, and realistic shows around.

Ghostwatch has always been a popular subject on this board
because many saw it at an impressionable age. It messed with
their minds.

It was never repeated and there was the true and very sad tale
of a disturbed young man who became obsessed by it and killed
himself. Its unavailability on video just seemed to add to the
mystique.

But you are right. It really wasn't at all convincing, if you saw it
or review it as an adult.

Worst programme, though? Hardly! :rolleyes:

When I first watched it I thought it was quite well done and convincing up until the last few minutes, where it just got plain silly!

What you have to remember watching it now is

a) You know it's a hoax so it loses a lot of its power

and

b) We are so inundated with reality tv nowadays that we take it for granted. Back then it was quite an original concept.

It's that old thing about banning something immeadiately making it more desirable and mythical.
At it's best Ghostwatch was an average, sometimes spooky peice of beer and crisps schlock best watched with a couple of mates who could help you take the piss out of Mike Smith. At it's worst it was a typically patronising BBC effort at making a supernatural thriller.

BBC Ghostwatch DVD out November?

http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?sectionId=3&articleId=4507
We've been hearing rumors for some time now that the BFI have done a deal with the BBC to produce some of their more esoteric productions on DVD. we can now confirm that it looks like the first of these releases will be appearing between October and November. Perhaps the biggest surprise is that "Ghostwatch" will be amongst the first releases, probably in November. Yes we know that a October date would be better, but November looks like the first date possible. "Ghostwatch" was a one off show from a few years ago that was broadcast on Halloween and scared the nation wit less. Staring Michael Parkinson, Sarah Greene, Mike Smith and Craig Charles the play was a pseudo documentary about a "Ghostwatch" at a suburban house in Middlesex which cut between studio shots of Parkinson and "live shots" from the house. Although it was well signalled as a drama in the press before hand, many where taken in by it and believed that it was real, right down to the shock ending.

Fantastic news!

Fabulous programme with truly scary moments! I always thought that a video or (more recently) DVD release would be a good way of presenting and preserving this programme. It would be interesting to have a group or set of individual interviews with the principles, including the producer and writer, to hear their reactions to people's responses to the production. In fact, I'd like a documentary on the reaction - press clippings, TV news reports and so on, as well as something on the history of the production. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

It's about time they released it but anyone with half a brain will realise just how poor GHOSTWATCH is. I thought it was bad as a seventeen year-old, with Sarah Green, Michael Parkinson, Mike Smith etc trying to act etc, and yet there being such a mystical aura about the programme years after. For me, last years Channel 4 programme THE ENTITY about bedroom invaders was far spookier.

There were over half a dozen Ghostwatch threads, so I put them all in the big squishing machine, and now there's just this one!

Ghostwatch DVD details

As posted on The BBC Website

Ghostwatch DVD details

The BFI have confirmed details of their planned DVD release of classic BBC chiller Ghostwatch.

Broadcast on Halloween, 1992 and never repeated since, Ghostwatch was one of the first ever documentary-style dramas.

A group of investigators, including Sarah Greene, Craig Charles and Michael Parkinson, probed into an apparently haunted house. Over the course of the programme, horrified viewers saw Greene killed and Parky possessed - with some watchers convinced that what they'd seen had really happened.

The British Film Institute (BFI) announced that they would be releasing the programme earlier this year, and have now confirmed the release date as, appropriately, Halloween of this year. They've also confirmed the following extras:

• Audio commentary by writer Stephen Volk, producer Ruth Baumgarten and director Lesley Manning
  • Interview with Lesley Manning on how she approached the direction
  • Stephen Volk's original treatment, screenplay and an original ghost story, all as downloadable DVD content

The DVD will be available by ordering from the BFI Website from Halloween, and in the shops on the rather less significant date of 25th November.

So now you can make up your own minds and see what all the fuss was about.

Ghostwatch Screening

As posted on the BBC Website

Classic mocumentary gets dusted down for Halloween.

To celebrate the tenth anniversary of Ghostwatch there will be a special Halloween, big(gish) screen presentation of the programme exactly one decade after it was first broadcast.

They'll be an introduction, extensive programme notes and a Q and A following the screening, make it a great way to celebrate the witching hour.

The event takes place on 31st October at The Horse Hospital at No. 1. Colonnade, Bloomsbury, London WC1N 1 and costs £5. For more information phone 0207 833 3644, or simply turn up on the night. The evening begins at 7.30pm.

Who wants it anyway? it was about as scary as a bowl of cold porridge.

I dunno, it gave me the Heebie jeebies. Mind you I was about 12...

Ghostwatch

Well, this is finally out on DVD and it is nearly as good as I remember. Sarah Greene and Craig Charles really impress, Michael Parkison is quite good too, and even Mike Smith is good. The "acting" of the children is variable, but on the whole, very good.

Just a bit disappointed by the lack of extras. I remember an on-line poll on the FT website earlier in the year saying that "Ghostwatch may be out on DVD and many of the studio recordings still exist. If you would like to see this, please email me". All we got was a voice over on a script page, and OK-ish commentaries. Plus the ability to download the script if you are using your PC.

Thank God for the BFI, producing minority titles like this! If we left it to the BBC, they'd think we wanted (re-)releases of "One Foot in the Grave", "Porridge" etc. Yawn.

Cheers
Paul

----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.btinternet.com/~dr_paul_lee/vigils.htm

Ghostwatch may never have been repeated on tv but it sure
makes up for it on here. :eek:

Bump! Two newer threads added to the 'original' Ghostwatch thread (which itself was a merger of several earlier threads!)

James Whitehead said:
Ghostwatch may never have been repeated on tv but it sure
makes up for it on here. :eek:

Too true James, I just skipped over the latest article in FT.:eek:

GHOSTWATCH

So, who has been out and purchased a copy of the long-awaited 1992 spoof-doc GHOSTWATCH ? Had you seen it before ? Does it have the same effect ?

wow, it's another ghostwatch thread

I bought the only copy in Chester (shame!) on the day of release, although I already had it on a dodgy video and had seen half of the original broadcast. The DVD has a few good features, such as an optional commentary, by Leslie Manning, Stephen Volk and Ruth Baumgarten and a documentary by Manning. Also, it's a lot clearer than the video I had before, so that makes those tricky moments with the pause button to catch a glimpse of Pipes' cameos a lot more worthwhile. It has to be said that I'm useless at Pipes catching though.

Of course, it doesn't have exactly the same effect after the first time, but it's still enjoyable nonetheless, despite some poor acting in some quarters. My sister, watching it on the first occasion on the video, even believed it had taken place for real until halfway through, so it still retains its ability to scare.

I still scared the pants off me, though not so much the programme itself, but the memories of the utter fear I felt when I saw it the first time, aged 11. I slept with the light on, yes I damn well did! Parts of it seem a bit crappy now, and you wonder how you ever thought the stilted delivery of the family were real - (come on, I was 11!) but Parky's great, and Craig Charles I think takes the prize for being the most naturalistic.

I'm smug and think I've spotted all the Pipes. Wanna play spot the Pipes? Uh.... let me think...

Visible in the footage of the girls in bed at the beginning, against the curtain. (and again, when they replay the footage the first time- but not the second time, because they are CUNNING)

Quite blatantly appears over the para-psychologist's shoulder when she plays that voice tape in the darkened studio....

Uh, when Craig Charles interviews those women in the playground, he's standing at the back of the crowd of spectators.

His reflection visible in french window, behind the camera crew in the kitchen scene where all the kid's paintings are on the floor...

uh, in the scene with the scratches on the girl's face, as the camera man leaves the room, he scans round it, and the ghost is standing against the curtains again. He snaps the camera back and the ghost is gone...

When they open the glory hole under the stairs, as the door swings open, there's a figure behind it. Then it swings closed again, and open again and there's nothing there.

In the final scene in the studio, where "all hell breaks loose", he's standing on the scaffolding overhead.

Anyone got anymore?

The only time I saw it, when it was broadcast, I remember it distinctly. I knew from the outset it was fictional, however my parents didn't. This enabled me to smugly watch their reaction throughout the show, although I didn't plan it that way. They were taken in at the beginning, though they did say they thought the kids were a little odd, which was probably their reaction to some standard acting. Eventually, though, it just got a bit silly.
I'd like to see it again, though I'm sure it'll be nowhere near as good as I remember. There was one moment where the camera pans, goes straight past the figure of Pipes (too quickly to see what it was) then flicks back to where the figure was, only for it to be gone. That moment still sticks with me.

Other Halloween specials

Does anyone remember Paul Daniels' Halloween specials from about ten years ago? Rather than the usual shite, it was much darker, featuring things like his attempted escape from an iron maiden timed to slam shut (and failing). It was actually not that bad (at the time), though the thing I remember most is that there was an outcry from some quarters that it was satanic and promoted the occult, . This may have led to it being pulled, as it was an annual feature for a short time. I also remember one trick where he captured a "ghost" on videotape without touching it, complete with ghostly mist and light reflecting off a raised dagger...

Re: Other Halloween specials

Dark Detective said:
Does anyone remember Paul Daniels' Halloween specials from about ten years ago?

I'd forgotten about those! Yes, you're right, they were better than his usual, or, at least, more dramatic.

There were also themed Hallowe'en nights on BBC2 and / or C4 for a few years, mysteriously vanishing into the ether following the "Ghostwatch" furore. Ah, those were the days!

Ghostwatch - help needed (sorry for cross-posting)

Hi all,

I am a Media Studies teacher who is producing a project on the show "Ghostwatch" (no further explanation required, one suspects).

I am hunting down any literature on the show, including the original listing and feature in RT, the newspaper reaction and just about anything else.

I may also require some opinion, so any contributions about what you thought of the show would really help. This is, sadly, a non-profit-making exercise, so I can't offer you any pennies for your thoughts :)

I would also like to hear from any Media or Sociology teachers who may also be interested in pursuing this.

Thanks!

Jenny.

Back