• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Beards & Moustaches

Just treated myself to a straight (aka cut-throat) razor.
Never used one before, so will be carefully watching a few instructional videos before setting blade to beard.
I intend to keep the Ragnar Lodbruk style beard for a while yet, but want to be able to shape the edges with a bit more precision.

razor.JPG

Never used one before, so will be carefully watching a few instructional videos before setting blade to beard.
I intend to keep the Ragnar Lodbruk style beard for a while yet, but want to be able to shape the edges with a bit more precision.

View attachment 36655
Looks like LYCOS is moving away from the search engine business.

I use a shavette and have done for years.

At the risk of breaking rules (mods please delete if it's not allowed) I'm just starting a male grooming company - soap, shampoo, beard and hand balm so far. PM me for the website so as not to egregiously spam the thread.

View attachment 36655

Always at an acute angle BMC...

First shave went pretty well.
Nicely smooth face and only one minor nick to dab with a tissue.

I use a safety razor with Feather or Gilette platinum blades. It is still really easy to cut yourself and the key is to take your time and learn the odd parts of the face, moles, scars, nobbly bits, etc.

(Not saying I look like Walter Long)

https://iv1.lisimg.com/image/4679705/320full-walter-long.jpg

Never used a straight edge or shavette myself. I've gone and had a professional shave done in the past and it is an amazing feeling.

I use a safety razor with Feather or Gilette platinum blades. It is still really easy to cut yourself and the key is to take your time and learn the odd parts of the face, moles, scars, nobbly bits, etc.

(Not saying I look like Walter Long)

https://iv1.lisimg.com/image/4679705/320full-walter-long.jpg

Never used a straight edge or shavette myself. I've gone and had a professional shave done in the past and it is an amazing feeling.
I've found its harder to cut yourself with a shavette - I mean, when you do its bloody, but you have more control, and you get a better shave.

Wow ok. I may just buy one to give it a go. Any tips?

Dont bother paying extra for one of the ones that come with 100 blades - I've found the blades to be poor, although different people like different blades. My go-to are Wilkinson Sword safety blades, which you just snap in half lengthways, and are easy to find.

Beyond that slow and gentle are the watchwords. Really its very rare that I cut myself, and if you do the blades are so sharp and there is so little impediment that I usually dont notice until I see the blood. Get some youtube vids watched.

Dont bother paying extra for one of the ones that come with 100 blades - I've found the blades to be poor, although different people like different blades. My go-to are Wilkinson Sword safety blades, which you just snap in half lengthways, and are easy to find.

Beyond that slow and gentle are the watchwords. Really its very rare that I cut myself, and if you do the blades are so sharp and there is so little impediment that I usually dont notice until I see the blood. Get some youtube vids watched.

The recommended blades for my razor are these Derby ones.
At £3.99 per 100, they seem absolutely fine to me and save you the bother (and potential cut) from bending and snapping traditional blades.

blades.JPG

The recommended blades for my razor are these Derby ones.
At £3.99 per 100, they seem absolutely fine to me and save you the bother (and potential cut) from bending and snapping traditional blades.

View attachment 36786
I think I've tried them and didn't like. Despite assuming Im going to cut my thumb off every time I do it I've never cut myself snapping razor blades.

How frequently would you recommend changing the blade?
Whenever it start to feel bad tbh. I only shave once a week and I only change mine every couple of months. Tbh it's such a cheap way of doing it you can afford to be profligate.

Your don't have any issue with clogging or rusting though so that helps.

That's why your partner does it for you :loveu:
I was thinking more the owning of it rather than the construction - avoid setting fire to it when you have a barbie, keeping it away from machinery, cats attacking it & climbing up it, getting strangled by it when caught in a tornado, & so on.

I was thinking more the owning of it rather than the construction - avoid setting fire to it when you have a barbie, keeping it away from machinery, cats attacking it & climbing up it, getting strangled by it when caught in a tornado, & so on.
He probably just wraps it round his head ties it in a top knot.

I Googled a pic to illustrate what I mean and found this....marked as 'non-surgical hair replacement':

1627919364203.png

There are some things on a man that must be pulled, and here we are.
I was thinking of picking him up by the ends and swinging him around and around before letting go.
Best done in a padded room.

I was thinking of picking him up by the ends and swinging him around and around before letting go.
Best done in a padded room.
Do you mean that you were thinking of picking him up by the ends of his hair, and swinging him around and around?
Isn't that just plaiting his hair before letting him go? Nice one:clap:

The mind is a bizarre thing:-

I see this man brushing, with the back of his hands, those...ends...over his shoulders as he gavottes through the swiss meadows of the sound of music...

Bloody bizarre I tell yer.

I see this man brushing, with the back of his hands, those...ends...over his shoulders as he gavottes through the swiss meadows of the sound of music...

works for me!

Back