• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bears: Encounter Risks & How To Handle Attacks

The first Clyde didn't enjoy his experience, as his trainer would beat him to make him "act", and at the end of filming Clyde was beaten to death. Difficult to enjoy Every Which Way But Loose knowing that.

I didn't know that - certainly puts a different complexion on it. I'd favour the 'eye for an eye' punishment for the handler & beat him with a pick axe handle.

As regards training in general, I think things have changed from punishment to reward as it's much more effective [& humane] certainly for dogs. The Barbara Woodhouse method would never get on the tv these days.

They are good with their hands. A bear pulled the door frame out of a out- building I lived near to try to get to a wasps nest inside the wall. He could of course have just turned the knob.

uk bears in the woods!
View attachment 19197

A bear at Bear Wood near Bristol, UK, part of the Wild Place project, in which for the first time in more than 1,000 years native bears and wolves are coming snout to muzzle with each other in a slice of British woodland
Photograph: Andre Pattenden/Bristol Zoo

That bear is way too skinny. Every living thing should definitely stay clear of a hungry bear.

Have you ever come across something that should not make you laugh because it's really not that funny? This video makes me roar with laughter and I cannot understand why. :dunno:

Well, for one thing, the bear looks so modest and innocent; then again, it looks like the lady didn't make it back home . . .

Lol!

I once read that there are two types of bears, one black and one brown. One can run really fast but can't climb trees, so if you see that bear, the advice was to climb a tree to get out of its way. The other type of bear however can't run fast, but can climb trees, so when you see THAT bear, you run.

I'm now all these years later presuming that's nonsense? Anyone know?
There are also White Bears, but they don’t have much need for climbing trees!

To be fair, though - they have got plant pots that are bigger than that bear.
It looks to me as though it's still a young one, maybe last year's litter, a little small and they are very curious. I live black bear country and the moms are constantly calling the kids back from investigating dangerous things (like people). I'm always sorry for a bear mom with two cubs - let alone the occasional triplets. They're a handful. Pawful.

Crying out for a voiceover:

Tum tee tum...

Ooh, hey – old people. I’ll just take a step back here, don’t want to spook the seniors.

Hey! Helloo! Over here. Drat - didn’t see me. But, yeeeesss, they are just going round this corner here. I’ll try and catch up.

(I'll just check he shut the door properly while I’m passing. Yep...all good)

Out of shot.

Hey. Helloooo. Oh hey, where are you going? What do you mean, ‘Fuck you Brenda, it’s a fuckin’ bear - I’m outta here’? That’s not very nice, is it? Why are the nice lady’s slacks going all wet? Urgh, what’s that smell? Ooooo…Brenda!!

Did you leave something in the house? No, hey – hold on…you need to push. No - don’t pull. Push. Pu...Have you never used a door before? I’m a bear, and even I know that.

Don’t worry, Brenda - I’m sure my mom will be here soon.

Crying out for a voiceover:

Tum tee tum...

Ooh, hey – old people. I’ll just take a step back here, don’t want to spook the seniors.

Hey! Helloo! Over here. Drat - didn’t see me. But, yeeeesss, they are just going round this corner here. I’ll try and catch up.

(I'll just check he shut the door properly while I’m passing. Yep...all good)

Out of shot.

Hey. Helloooo. Oh hey, where are you going? What do you mean, ‘Fuck you Brenda, it’s a fuckin’ bear - I’m outta here’? That’s not very nice, is it? Why are the nice lady’s slacks going all wet? Urgh, what’s that smell? Ooooo…Brenda!!

Did you leave something in the house? No, hey – hold on…you need to push. No - don’t pull. Push. Pu...Have you never used a door before? I’m a bear, and even I know that.

Don’t worry, Brenda - I’m sure my mom will be here soon.

Okay well, now it's funny all over again. lol

Just before the end of that video, I can see a woman in the background carrying a small child.
How the hell could they not see that bear?

If it's brown, lie down...
If it's black, fight back...
If it's white, good night! :willy:

Moving on from my (clearly very helpful ;)) advice, if there are any Canadians here who are familiar with the rockies, can you clear something up for me please - is there such a place as 'bad bear land'?

I am Canadian and I know that the Rockies are Mountains. I have never heard of a place called "bad bear land".

They can become a problem and when they are caught, they are moved out of the area. It is called the Long Distance Grizzly Relocation Project.

In some cases, the Government of Alberta captures grizzly bears that have been involved in conflict situations and moves them out of their home range and into a new Bear Management Area. These are typically circumstances where the bear has already been captured and moved locally within its home range, but continues to re-offend.

Examples include bears that

• access electrified bee yards
  • cause property damage
  • repeatedly kill livestock

In these cases, it is hoped that moving the bear far away from the area will prevent it from causing further conflicts, and potentially help bolster bear populations in the release area.

https://www.alberta.ca/long-distance-grizzly-relocation-project.aspx

Hope I answered your question. Where did you hear that phrase, "bad bear land"?

I am Canadian and I know that the Rockies are Mountains. I have never heard of a place called "bad bear land".

They can become a problem and when they are caught, they are moved out of the area. It is called the Long Distance Grizzly Relocation Project.

https://www.alberta.ca/long-distance-grizzly-relocation-project.aspx

Hope I answered your question. Where did you hear that phrase, "bad bear land"?

You have, thank you! I think this confirms 'bad bear land' exists, I'm just using an informal/colloquial name for it. I visited the rockies a few years ago, and one local tour guide told us that bears who were getting too comfortable around people would often get tracked down and sent to a remote 'bad bear land'. This amused me as I just imagined a knocked out bear being air lifted across the mountains via helicopter and deposited somewhere, no doubt waking up completely bewildered (although I know they wouldn't really do it this way!) However in the years since I've wondered whether I was being a bit naive and whether 'bad bear land' was the equivalent of those farms where old pets go to live. ;)

P.S. I love Canada, it's a beautiful country full of lovely people, and it's probably the only country I'd ever want to move to. I hope to explore more of it in years to come. :)

You have, thank you! I think this confirms 'bad bear land' exists, I'm just using an informal/colloquial name for it. I visited the rockies a few years ago, and one local tour guide told us that bears who were getting too comfortable around people would often get tracked down and sent to a remote 'bad bear land'. This amused me as I just imagined a knocked out bear being air lifted across the mountains via helicopter and deposited somewhere, no doubt waking up completely bewildered (although I know they wouldn't really do it this way!) However in the years since I've wondered whether I was being a bit naive and whether 'bad bear land' was the equivalent of those farms where old pets go to live. ;)

P.S. I love Canada, it's a beautiful country full of lovely people, and it's probably the only country I'd ever want to move to. I hope to explore more of it in years to come. :)

I lived in Churchill Manitoba for about 6 months when I was 14 years old. We had moved there from Toronto, big change. lol

The polar bears come in before the ice breaks up on the Hudson Bay and stay until it freezes over again. There are signs everywhere promoting bear safety. The bears are not permitted where the people gather. There is a Fort Churchill and a Town Churchill. They are 5 miles apart. Anyone not driving was bused around during that time because bears don't read.

Remember that game we all played as kids, Made You Look? Well one day, on our way to school by bus, this kid pointed to the sky and yelled, "Bear!" I didn't look because I was 14, I was too cool to fall for that. lol
Anyway, all the kids got excited and I eventually looked up. There was this bear in a huge net, dangling below a helicopter, on it's way to bear jail.

When a bear is caught too close to the people population, it is darted, painted and removed to the remotest side of Churchill. If it comes back to the same area again, it is darted and removed to a huge metal building filled with holding cells where it is only given water to drink until the bay freezes and then released to migrate back with the other bears for seal hunting season. :D

I lived in Churchill Manitoba for about 6 months when I was 14 years old. We had moved there from Toronto, big change. lol

The polar bears come in before the ice breaks up on the Hudson Bay and stay until it freezes over again. There are signs everywhere promoting bear safety. The bears are not permitted where the people gather. There is a Fort Churchill and a Town Churchill. They are 5 miles apart. Anyone not driving was bused around during that time because bears don't read.

Remember that game we all played as kids, Made You Look? Well one day, on our way to school by bus, this kid pointed to the sky and yelled, "Bear!" I didn't look because I was 14, I was too cool to fall for that. lol
Anyway, all the kids got excited and I eventually looked up. There was this bear in a huge net, dangling below a helicopter, on it's way to bear jail.

When a bear is caught too close to the people population, it is darted, painted and removed to the remotest side of Churchill. If it comes back to the same area again, it is darted and removed to a huge metal building filled with holding cells where it is only given water to drink until the bay freezes and then released to migrate back with the other bears for seal hunting season. :D
Churchill is famous, I've seen a documentary on this.

Just had a black bear wandering through our neighborhood here in suburban New Jersey. We're on a stream that runs from the Watchung Reservation to the Ashbrook, and we have the full gamut of animals native to our state passing through and living in our neighborhood. The town police were patrolling to warn people who were out, I was on an outside deck watching but never saw her/him.
Amusingly my wife's sister, who lives with us, thinks that black bears are vegetarian. I (somewhat) hope the ursine doesn't grab one our resident fawns for dinner right in front of her.

Just had a black bear wandering through our neighborhood here in suburban New Jersey. We're on a stream that runs from the Watchung Reservation to the Ashbrook, and we have the full gamut of animals native to our state passing through and living in our neighborhood. The town police were patrolling to warn people who were out, I was on an outside deck watching but never saw her/him.
Amusingly my wife's sister, who lives with us, thinks that black bears are vegetarian. I (somewhat) hope the ursine doesn't grab one our resident fawns for dinner right in front of her.
Does Jersey still have a bear hunting season?

There used to be a Bear park at Loch Lomond - went there several times as a kid - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/remember-grizzly-bears-lived-loch-8471602
The real reason it closed I heard was that locals from Balloch (pretty town - but very rough) kept breaking in to fight the Bears.
My father was in a band that played at a dinner dance at the nearby Duck bay hotel and Marina in the late 70's- only gig he ever played where the bouncers outnumbered the guests - it had a large stuffed bear in by the entrance - at the end of the night one local hooligan was taken away by Police after stabbing the stuffed bear 17 times in a drunken "fight".
I last saw said stuffed bear in RG's (formerly the Rock Garden) bar in Queen St in Glasgow in the 90's - you could still see the stitches where the taxidermist had sewn it back up.

There used to be a Bear park at Loch Lomond - went there several times as a kid - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/remember-grizzly-bears-lived-loch-8471602
The real reason it closed I heard was that locals from Balloch (pretty town - but very rough) kept breaking in to fight the Bears.
My father was in a band that played at a dinner dance at the nearby Duck bay hotel and Marina in the late 70's- only gig he ever played where the bouncers outnumbered the guests - it had a large stuffed bear in by the entrance - at the end of the night one local hooligan was taken away by Police after stabbing the stuffed bear 17 times in a drunken "fight".
I last saw said stuffed bear in RG's (formerly the Rock Garden) bar in Queen St in Glasgow in the 90's - you could still see the stitches where the taxidermist had sewn it back up.

Christ, what is it with some people? - just got to stab something..

Back