• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Beckjord figured out? Or "New crypto-critter discovered

athyra

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Beckjord figured out? (edit: oops another thread on him in n

I got through 15 pages in the Beckjord thread. I had to stop during the puerile wrangling... But as I finished I noticed something about his persona...

It's like a parrot, but it is flaming pink, dances go-go at the local The Amsterdam, and hocks multi-colored cereal in his spare time... I call it a parody (I hope, dear god).

He was a wanker, but he did have a point. I think. I'm giving him some credit here which may not be deserved.

Okay, look at it as a parody. You've all seen the photos that are enhanced/edited with splotches circled that claim to be "x".

Or all the wierd theories on "x" phenomenon.

Well, unfortunately, Beckfjord's point seems to be this. No evidence exists for either view point. A true anomalist would not apply pre-conceived ideas such as "logic" and "common sense" because when dealing with the unknown, all that can be ruled out is the known.

His claims of being Mothman are just as likely as an inter-dimensional slip, cryptofauna, or what have you.

Of course, I could be giving him WAY too much credit, although I could conceivably see someone devoting this much time to a parody as he obviously has.

I mean, EVERYTHING he does is a parody of some other pursuit. I'm having a hard time quantifying the niggling... But say, you had a smart guy, but a hard line conventional skeptic. He looks at society, and sees what he deems idiocy... From all the idiotic ideas on how to stop terrorism that emerged after 9/11 (which he counters with his spam throwing), "unscientific" areas like Fortean (In which he parodies the hard core nutter, "look look, I did X and Y and Z and Q and @ filters/enhancement and I see a face!"), etc. In many ways, I think he sees himself as a pop culture critic...

Shrug, or he's a nutter. Which could be part of the parody thing... Sigh. If it is a parody, I will clap my hands as he's spent an enormous amount of effort on it.

But I CANNOT, I absolutely CANNOT, believe that a human being like him exists. For my own sake, for my belief in humanity (which is paper thin), I hope he is actually a smart guy with too much time on his hands making fun of those he deems "unenlightened".

P.S. He also seems to parody other things, hence the 9/11 thing and all that BS on ebay being sold for outlandish prices (haunted jars etc.) In fact, everything he does seems to be a parody of one thing or another, and in some cases satirical, because in a few cases there is a point.

I see, I see... Very interesting theory. So, do you believe Beckjord is doing the same thing Charles Fort did when he intentionally came up with bizarre theories he himself didn't even believe in just to parody the strange theories coming from the scientific establishment?

Re: Beckjord figured out? (edit: oops another thread on him

Ath said:
But I CANNOT, I absolutely CANNOT, believe that a human being like him exists. For my own sake, for my belief in humanity (which is paper thin), I hope he is actually a smart guy with too much time on his hands making fun of those he deems "unenlightened".

When reading Beckjord's postings and other ideas/activities, I must admit to feeling quite the same. SURELY someone cannot be that ludicrous.

But, then again, he wouldn't be the first person to make me feel like that - and I very much doubt that they are all cultural satirists.

If your very interesting theory is correct - what a strange lifestyle choice. To life his whole life open to ridicule and scorn in order to make a statement on culture which is never actually expressed.

Either way - you have to be concerned over his sanity.

Perhaps, he's actually a DaDaist collective of 'Factory' rejects that Andy Warhol didn't feel like painting, filming, taping, or even sleeping with?

This might be their revenge on the World? :p

It could just be that heady mix of ignorance and egotism that will convince a person to become a fanatic of any sort...he really might be unwell. Even if it is just parody, it's been taken too far and has become a bit loopy to say the least.

Or he might just be too quick to make proclemations and never admit if he was wrong or just plain silly.
People like that exist, belive me, one of my flat mates this last year was like that. he had no consept of hygine andwould often use our dish cloth to clean the kitchin floor and just put it straight back by the sink afterward, when tackeled he would swear blind he had never done this and would never. One day I even watched him do it and as I asked him to throw the sponge out and not to do it again he responded by looking blank and saying "what sponge?" even though the sponge was still in his hand:rolleyes:

Or he might just lead a walter mitty life style and beleive himself to be an internationaly famous mensa member on whose very say so the poles could shift.

There is a kind of living to be made from making mad statements
and being invited on-air to discuss them. Not Prime Time stuff, clearly
and not the kind of living anyone could rationally want but Beckjord
is an ultra Z-list celebrity with many, many years of experience.

Being an honest whelk-stall owner would have a bit more dignity. :p

He's a cliche. Every statement of claim he makes is (in my mind) an example of a perceptual cliche of "fringe" science + believers.

I'd like to believe he's a parody, a very eccentric man mocking what he sees as foolish.

But he may just be... Well, an ultra nutter. Maybe this should be on conspiracy? :p

You know, I never gave it much thought before you mentioned it, but I'm really starting to think you're right about this one Ath. I wonder, would it do any good to actually ASK the man himself?

It's an interesting idea, that online personas are developed in order to make some kind of a statement.

My interest has been piqued by doing a Google search on "kathaksung". A frightening number of message boards, websites.etc. turn up, echoing what has already been posted here (both the posts themselves and the responses).

A bizarre kind of "celebrity" status can't be far behind.

Lord_Flashheart said:
Or he might just be too quick to make proclemations and never admit if he was wrong or just plain silly.
Hmm. Could Beckjord really be Tony Blair? :blah:

rynner said:
Hmm. Could Beckjord really be Tony Blair? :blah:
Beckjord seems to have a better developed sense of humour and he doesn't take himself half as seriously. ;)

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/s...15&highlight=beckjord sociology&pagenumber=14
Has anyone noticed how Becks is quite proud of his qualifications but hasn't actually divulged exactly what subject/s they are in?...

http://64.49.227.89/beckjord/bigfoot/who&what.html
"He is a graduate of Tulane University, with Honors in sociology, and also holds an MBA from Cal Berkeley. He has taken courses in zoology and anthropology and physics, as well. He does not claim to be a scientist, but acts as a collector, fieldwork and a middle-man to actual scientists who make final decisions and do analyses of evidence."

You see? It's all been an elaborate sociology experiment!!!

Shame that link no longer works.

The idea that Beckjord was a parody occured to me when I first heard his interview on the Lou Gentile show a few years ago. That waw the first time I had ever even heard of him. My conclusion was that he was a believer pretending to be a skeptic pretending to be a believer. In others words, perhaps he truely believes at least some of the things he states on his site, but the best way to get his ideas out into the world is to play the part of a hard-nosed cynic. Rather than acting as the typical paranoid, serious type who, as he is undoubtely aware, never get taken seriously anyway.

"New crypto-critter discovered"

"New crypto-critter discovered"

Hardly - I thought trolls were already a well established area of cryptozoological investigation ;)

Emps

Back