• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Beer Glass Lore

A

Anonymous

If I drink my pint and then turn the empty glass upside down on the bar what does it signify? I have two suggestions up to yet:-

I'll fight the best man in the house for a pound.

Your beer is not one of the finest I have sampled and I shall be requiring no more.

Have you come across this practice and what would happen if I did it in your local?

I thought this meant "I have drunk every last drop and am not afraid of any spilling out when I turn this glass up", especially so when turned upside-down on top of one's own head...

Ayebut, them look like typical studenty/rugby playery things to do and I've never associated with folks like that...
Imagine me doing it with a sort of growly face on, what happens next?

If you were an Arab it would mean that you've had enough, but then, if you were a good Allah-fearing Arab, you shouldn't be drinking beer . . .
Carole

Interesting but I don't think that we've had many Arabian influences round these here parts. We're all typical mongrel Brits.

I thought turning your pint glass upside down on the bar indicated that you were waiting to be served another. Some sort of Olde Englishe custom.

....The last time I had this much fun, they told me I wouldn't pull through....

Back