Belcher Rings

feinman

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I've become obsessed with these Belcher rings from Victorian and Edwardian times up to current day. I love the old ones with the synthetic rubies. Anyway, there are great examples on eBay and Etsy and Ruby Lane, if you fancy going into debt in these uncertain times. Also if you like jewelry, there are some great Mughal exam that are jaw-dropping.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bel...IBw&bih=554&biw=1163&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS893US894

Example:

feinman

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
And, yeah, OUCH, the price. Heck, you could make one of those in polymer clay and make it even more Pan-like and have it cast in gold many times for that price. But Wow! Crowley would have liked.

feinman

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Escargot likes it! :)
Well damn, I am going to have to make one or more.. I actually have a couple emeralds that would be perfect for it --so I could make two.. I would want to buy some small emeralds for the eyes. Okay, I have to do it. I was afraid I'd create a black hole if I took on any more projects, but here I am with a shit-eating grin on my face, still alive. Well, it will have to wait a few months.. I can make the model pretty soon though.

feinman

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Here is better pic of emeralds. They were made for this. I think I might auction one "Green Men" ring off and give money to the ASPCA. I was planning on doing something like that with some stones.

IMG_0762.jpg

feinman

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Have you ever made jewelry before?
I haven't, but I have worked bronze (making armour) and done some repousse (still in progress), and worked with clay and stone and wood before. In this case I just need to have a good model as it will be cast in one piece by someone else here locally, as I am not set up for that kind of thing now. I am going to use polymer clay to make the model and not even fuss with wax!

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I haven't, but I have worked bronze (making armour) and done some repousse (still in progress), and worked with clay and stone and wood before. In this case I just need to have a good model as it will be cast in one piece by someone else here locally, as I am not set up for that kind of thing now. I am going to use polymer clay to make the model and not even fuss with wax!
I wouldn't have a clue as to how to go about it. Do you have any idea how much it costs to have it cast? Do you get to keep the cast afterwards?

feinman

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I wouldn't have a clue as to how to go about it. Do you have any idea how much it costs to have it cast? Do you get to keep the cast afterwards?
There are places around if you google custom casting services The real cost is the gold --and then the casting fee isn't bad, depending on how far along you are in the model making process, apparently. The clay to use for models is non-sulfur:
https://www.reynoldsam.com/product/sculptex/
I'll set the stones myself.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Metalsmithing/repousse is a bit of a background interest for me, so I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Have you ever made jewelry before?
I know a very good jeweller in Hatton Garden. He has made or customised all my wife’s jewellery over the years. Wedding, Engagement and Eternity rings. Earrings and he found some coloured pearls for me that matched her gold wedding dress and made her a bracelet and necklace for our wedding.

feinman

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Metalsmithing/repousse is a bit of a background interest for me, so I'd be interested to see how it turns out.
If you like repousse The second(?) best use for a real bronze crash cymbal:
https://royaloakarmoury.com/2015/03/06/attic-chalcidian-helmet/
Jeffrey is an amazing armourer and artist; he asked me to go work with him and be his assistant a while back --If I only had another life..

Also, Ugo:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ugo...lUDmkQ_AUoAXoECBMQAw&biw=1280&bih=607&dpr=1.5

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

feinman

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Eyes for the Green Men:
2.5mm emerald cabochons. I'll set these into the eye sockets and they will be held in by the leafy eyelids (I bought four):

ems.jpg

Last edited:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
where will you auction/sell?

feinman

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
where will you auction/sell?
I would probably sell one on eBay or Etsy! I might look into making several, as once the model is created it can be cast multiple times --one would just have to find stones to fit, though the setting would be pretty flexible... I would give certain folks a break on the price :)
Anyway it is a little ways off yet and I will post progress pics!

feinman

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I don't know :( where can I order a guide from? it's the sort of thing one should know I feel. Like blood groups!
You can order a ring sizer here:
https://www.amazon.com/niupika-finger-measure-jewelry-sizing/dp/b01mqo6nduref_=ast_slp_dp
Or try one of these methods:

Chart here, too:
https://www.primestyle.com/education_diamond_ring_size.html
How To Measure Ring Size At Home
Worried about how you’ll get the measurements? Don’t panic just yet. There are several methods you can use to know how to measure ring size.

METHOD 1. USE A STRING/FLOSS
To measure with a string, you will need the following:

• String/Floss
  • Ruler
  • Pen/Marker
How to measure:

• Cut a string that is about 6 inches long.
  • Fold the string around the base of the finger, just below the knuckle.
  • Mark where the string ends with the pen.
  • Place the measured string on the ruler with the area marked on your right.
  • The number closest to the pen mark is the circumference of the ring in millimeters.
  • Use the ring size chart above to translate the measurements into a ring size.
METHOD 2. USE A STRIP OF PAPER
To measure the ring size using a strip of paper, you will need the following:

• A strip of paper
  • Ruler
  • Pen/marker
How to measure:

• Cut a thin strip of paper about 100 millimeters long.
  • Fold the thin strip of paper around the finger at the base and close enough to your knuckle.
  • Mark the area where the two ends of the paper strip meet.
  • Use the ruler to measure the length in millimeters to give you the circumference.
  • Convert the measurement to the appropriate ring size, using the ring size chart above.
METHOD 3. USE A RING THAT FITS YOU
To measure the ring size using a ring that fits, you will need the following:

• A ring at home that fits the finger that will wear the engagement ring
  • Ruler
How to measure:

• Measure the internal diameter of the ring (that’s the hole inside the ring, excluding the metal).
  • Write down this measurement in millimeters, and use the conversion chart above to find your ring size.