• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bell Witch: An Unusual Case

Kazza34 said:
I found the film very disappointing, (I went to see it last night), but would be interested to hear the opinion of those who have seen the film and read one or several books on the case what they thought of the film.

Which of the three film versions did you see? One of the two earlier low-budget indy films that's come out in the last few years, or the not-quite-released (but potentially doing sneak-peek rounds if you saw it at a festival) "An American Haunting"?

I don't think a film can really do the whole thing justice, because the amount of diverse phenomenon would render the film as too unbelievable by the average filmgoer looking for pure entertainment...

Here is a link to the picture of the girl sat at the cave with the man appearing in the picture

Sorry I should have made myself clearer, I went to see An American Haunting.

Kazza34 said:
Sorry I should have made myself clearer, I went to see An American Haunting.

Thanks - I've seen just the trailer on it, but I could tell they were going to change the story around quite a bit (for one thing, part of it will be in modern times. And in another case, the trailer makes it look like the Bell Witch has taken to the suburbs). I'll see it when it comes out, and give a review then!

Bell Witch:An Unusual Case

Last week at a party I met someone named Bell and they said they were suposedly related to the spooky Tennessee Bell family (should point out that said party was in Tennessee & said person was from Tennessee so it's possible.) :)

I look forward to the movie -- it seems entertaining at least w/ excellent special effects. Of course I will be surprised if it really sticks to historical facts. Wonder if it will explore the incest theme.

The picture looks like a double exposure. I see no man. I just two identical girls, one is smeary.

It's weird though if it is a double exposure the way it looks like you see a skull like face though.

the faces do look a little bit different in the picture, but there is three heads if you look closer.

Yeah. :shock:

candy%20001.jpg

I see double exposure, some smearing and a rock formation behind her.

I'm staggered that such a picture has even been considered to be paranormal. It really does look like shockingly bad camera useage.

I think you've put your finger on the answer to most paranormal photos :lol:

I've just completed an A Level in photography, some of the horrors that people presented as 'abstract' were spookily like, er, crap photo's. And I agree, a lot of supernatural photo entities, IMO, are often mucky lenses, wrist straps or as mentioned, crap photographers.

Presumably, if the image above contains a ghost behind the person, the tree on the right also has a frightening tree ghost behind it too??

Iamroachford said:
I'm staggered that such a picture has even been considered to be paranormal. It really does look like shockingly bad camera useage.

Theres enough gulible people in the world to make it that worthy. :lol:

So, I saw An American Haunting.

Not the worst film I've ever seen, but there isn't alot to recommend.

It barely uses any of the unique aspects of the Bell Witch case. The Witch hardly speaks in the film, which loses part of the weird special nature of the case immediately, considering the fact that the Witch spoke to the family in many long conversation for 4 years. The only material manifestations are a ghost and a big dog, but no family of ghosts in a tree, no giant bird, and the wolf isn't strange at all. No packs of wild dogs cogregating outside of the Bell Witch cave. No mention of the Bell Witch forbidding Betsy bell to marry her suitor. No Andrew Jackson mentions at all. The hauntings were all supposed to be at night, which also wasn't the case. No mention of the many hundreds of locals who came to see the phenomenon for themselves.

The film was heavy handed with the message it tried to send, and it complely ruins the already lame modern-times wrap around story. The actors are okay, but the direction really let them down in most places, almost like each person just acted in any way they liked and let it come together. Sutherland and Spaceck were both too modern acting (aspects of dialogue that were based on modern speech). There are a few okay jump scares, but no great shakes.

I need to seek out the two indy Bell Witch films that came out a few years ago - they have to be better!

John Bell had a chair that's now called the 'Bell Witch Bad Luck Chair and is being safeguarded by this bloke in his antique toy shop on the grounds or thereof of the original property after it was donated by a couple of locals.. the chair talk and viewing of it starts at about 13:05 ... the rest of this vid sort of jumps in and out of The Bell Witch story ..

Last edited:
Back at the Bell Witch, isn't there an article about it in an upcoming FT?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back