• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Best Book On Roswell?

Richyboyo

Junior Acolyte
Please can somebody advise me as to the best book on the whole Roswell saga published between 2008 and now,2018?

The Roswell Legacy by Jesse Marcel Jr. It doesn't get mentioned by pseudoskeptics because it's pretty hard to explain how Marcel Sr. supposedly mistook balloon debris for something very strange when he was a military trained meteorologist familiar with all the balloons and other systems, even the secret ones. Among other things. I highly recommend the book.

An awful lot has been written about Roswell. The fact that most of it is bullshit does not invalidate the basic facts.

*sigh*

People have a tendency to head for the safe haven of not having to worry about monsters. They'll ignore all manner of facts in that effort.

If you want to believe the only operational nuclear weapons in existence in 1947 were in the hands of incompetents who later became tellers of tall tales, but with distinguished careers, you have my permission. I don't even care. You might want to check out the book I recommended though, if you are feeling adventurous.

*sigh*

People have a tendency to head for the safe haven of not having to worry about monsters. They'll ignore all manner of facts in that effort.

If you want to believe the only operational nuclear weapons in existence in 1947 were in the hands of incompetents who later became tellers of tall tales, but with distinguished careers, you have my permission. I don't even care. You might want to check out the book I recommended though, if you are feeling adventurous.
Classic.

The Roswell Legacy by Jesse Marcel Jr. It doesn't get mentioned by pseudoskeptics because it's pretty hard to explain how Marcel Sr. supposedly mistook balloon debris for something very strange when he was a military trained meteorologist familiar with all the balloons and other systems, even the secret ones. Among other things. I highly recommend the book.

An awful lot has been written about Roswell. The fact that most of it is bullshit does not invalidate the basic facts.
Thanks I`ll look for this book

If you want to believe the only operational nuclear weapons in existence in 1947 were in the hands of incompetents who later became tellers of tall tales, but with distinguished careers, you have my permission.
True, the mere fact that those clowns would be allowed to remain in command of an ultra-sensitive base and be issued a free pass for bothering the whole chain of command in the Pentagon beggars belief. Additionnally, this astounding event has usually evaded the attention of military historians. It appears too that a FOIA attempt has found that there were no reports of the failure to the hierarchy, as there should be for any such event, which is just incredible. The story is not plausible, period.

However, discussions around Roswell tend to become frustrating, they look like quick sands and tend to divert too much attention from more fruitfull controversies. Roswell is only one case among many others, not the best documented one, many cases fromp the same era are more interesting and worthy of attention. And even if there really was a flying saucer in the depths of Area 51, I will stand by Paul Kimball's position : «they» were too succesfull to bury the issue, and any attempt to unearth the truth will prove a failure.

Last edited:
... The fact that most of it is bullshit does not invalidate the basic facts.

... at this point, what are the real, incontrovertible facts? Is it that some rancher found some unidentified debris on his property, that the Air Force initially misidentified it as part of a flying disc, and then, on further examination, determined was prosaic in nature? Should we also mention that, in July 1947, the Air Force thought in terms of the alleged discs being secret Russian aircraft with little or no serious consideration given to any extraterrestrial hypothesis?

Everybody needs to sleep at night. Believe whatever you like.

Let's see... do I have better things to do than argue with strangers on the internet? Yes.

The reports by high level Army Air Corps officers are interesting in themselves. Some of us are not put off by the bullshit that has been piled on the original story. The balloon theories are ludicrous, for several reasons. They are right up there with "The fishmonger did it." If that is the sort of explanation that's good enough for you, then who am I to try to deny you your comfort zone?

Ok...so no alien craft crashed...so was Mac Brazel talking about balloon debris on his farm then...?

Probably just venus. Anyhow, this is a thread about book recommendations. There's a whole other thread (at least) for debating about what Roswell was all about. I have not looked at it, but if it's anything like the billion or so other threads I've seen on the topic, it's chock full of uninformed speculation and silly imaginary scenarios of all sorts. The book I recommended is very good, by the way, written by someone who handled the debris.

Over and out.

So assertions that Roswell represents the crash of an extraterrestrial vehicle that has been 100% successfully covered-up for 70+ years don't fall under the category of "speculation and silly imaginary scenarios"... hmmmmm.

Austin, you may believe what you like and I respect your opinion. I'm willing to leave the door open a crack because at least a few solid people have made some extraordinary claims. If incontrovertible evidence surfaces in the future proving you are correct, I will gladly accept any "I told you so"s you might hurl my way.

Back