Best Cars Ever

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
I'm not talking super cars. Theses are all cars my wife and I have actually owned. (Except the Daimler)
My candidates -
Rover P4 (mine's a 110 , 1964 , had a '62 110 for many years earlier)
Citroen GS / GSA - had 5 of them. French technical miracles engine the couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding but can be driven flat out all-day long 40 mpg. 80+ cruising speed.
MGB/GT had a 1965 example
Alfa 2000 GTV - my wife had one before I met her, we had two after that and eventually a V6
Rover 3500S manual - again my wife's.
Chevy Monte Carlo SS 1987. With T-Tops
Jeep Wrangler TJ bought as a treat for the missus - 4.0L engine and handled like a sports car.
Saab 93 (I've had 5 of these as well they are brilliant)
Daimler V8 250 (jag mk 2 body) My brother had one - gorgeous sensuous car built to maybe even a higher quality than the Rover P4
Pontiac Firebird 4th gen. That was mine . I loved it.

Absolutely none of these cars cost serious money - just shows what fun you can have on a budget. I think the most expensive was the Jeep which was £5000 . most of the others cost under £1000

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Never had a GS, but bought its successor the BX, which I quite liked.
First ever car was a Sunbeam Alpine (fastback).
Also, in my younger days, owned a couple of Citroën 2CVs, which were great fun. Stuck with air-cooled with a VW 411 and then went through my hot-hatch boy-racer phase with an XR3i. Owned a couple of really boring cars after that - Montego estate, Sierra and Ford Fusion and then fell in love with Jeeps - on my second Renegade now.

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
As my username suggests, I have a liking for old Rovers too. Grew up in a series of P6s then had a 1961 P4 80, actually my mother's car, it was beautiful. Then a 1970 P5b coupe, it never had the charm or the build quality of the P4. Different worlds really. Sold it when I got an Alfa GTV, a 916 phase 3, which was a money pit but worth every penny. I still have it, it's in retirement in the drive. I did take it to part exchange when I bought my current car but couldn't part with it.

These days I've got a Mercedes R 171 350 SLK, which I picked over the SL because I'm not quite that stupid. Very quick, lovely to drive, and the roof is fantastic. But it's not the Alfa. The car that I consider buying about once a month though is the Rover P6 V8 s. I've never driven a P6 and that must change.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I'm not talking super cars. Theses are all cars my wife and I have actually owned. (Except the Daimler)
My candidates -
Rover P4 (mine's a 110 , 1964 , had a '62 110 for many years earlier)
Citroen GS / GSA - had 5 of them. French technical miracles engine the couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding but can be driven flat out all-day long 40 mpg. 80+ cruising speed.
MGB/GT had a 1965 example
Alfa 2000 GTV - my wife had one before I met her, we had two after that and eventually a V6
Rover 3500S manual - again my wife's.
Chevy Monte Carlo SS 1987. With T-Tops
Jeep Wrangler TJ bought as a treat for the missus - 4.0L engine and handled like a sports car.
Saab 93 (I've had 5 of these as well they are brilliant)
Daimler V8 250 (jag mk 2 body) My brother had one - gorgeous sensuous car built to maybe even a higher quality than the Rover P4
Pontiac Firebird 4th gen. That was mine . I loved it.

Absolutely none of these cars cost serious money - just shows what fun you can have on a budget. I think the most expensive was the Jeep which was £5000 . most of the others cost under £1000
You've owned a lot of cars between you

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
You've owned a lot of cars between you
Yes. There are half a dozen lying round the place now. The disadvantage of mostly buying stuff that > 10 years old is that it tends to be destroyed by rust quite quickly. Particularly the GS's.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
As my username suggests, I have a liking for old Rovers too. Grew up in a series of P6s then had a 1961 P4 80, actually my mother's car, it was beautiful. Then a 1970 P5b coupe, it never had the charm or the build quality of the P4. Different worlds really. Sold it when I got an Alfa GTV, a 916 phase 3, which was a money pit but worth every penny. I still have it, it's in retirement in the drive. I did take it to part exchange when I bought my current car but couldn't part with it.

These days I've got a Mercedes R 171 350 SLK, which I picked over the SL because I'm not quite that stupid. Very quick, lovely to drive, and the roof is fantastic. But it's not the Alfa. The car that I consider buying about once a month though is the Rover P6 V8 s. I've never driven a P6 and that must change.
I inherited my fondness for Rovers from my Dad - probably inherited my tendency to buy old cars rather than new as well. First family car I remember was a Rover 16 that we had until 1960.

It's funny you should say about the P5b - I never had one but wanted one - was never able to find one for a sensible price. Sounds like It wouldn't have made my list!

I had a P6 200TC - pleasant to drive nice interior but the engine not very Roverish. My wife's S was excellent.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
MrsCarlos and myself have owned the standard selection of motors in the past - Ford Fiestas, a selection of small Peugeots and Citroens etc.

We now have a VW Scirocco and a Toyota MR2. I love them to bits, both great, fun cars to drive. The Scirocco is a 1.8 auto from 1990 with no power steering which is a lovely car to cruise around in with the seat almost horizontal, while the MR2 is a '94 model which is amazing on a winding country road. They are our daily drivers and as Cochise said, surprisingly cheap to run. You need to put a bit of effort in occasionally but generally no more or less reliable than a modern car.

Both have a sunroof*. You gotta have a sunroof.

I've also stuck a big bass bin in the VW, gets in the way of the shopping but who cares.

*Technically the Toyota has a moonroof but I don't know what the difference is. It does completely pop out if you want to, maybe that's the difference. And when you take it out, you can store in the frunk. I love that word.

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
It's funny you should say about the P5b - I never had one but wanted one - was never able to find one for a sensible price. Sounds like It wouldn't have made my list!
I wanted one for years too, the reality was a let down frankly. It just seemed stolid. Although I prefer small cars, the P5 just never seemed to have the size or gravitas to carry itself off. But it was a very nice car to drive.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
First vehicle was a lil red scooter, cant remember the name, I sold that to buy my first car, it was a Suzuki Alto, loved that car, got smashed to bits, bought the car January, passed test in May, demolished it in June :( Next, an old Austin Rover, didn't particularly like the thing, that got hit several times, twice when I wasn't in it and once when I was, wrote off, next, Daewoo Nexia Saloon, nice car, damaged in accident (by the way, none of the accidents were my fault) then I had a little scooter, feck knows what the name was, not a known brand, then i sold that and didn't drive for ages , then this September I bought my Citroen C3 Exclusive (all my cars are automatic) The End

INT21

Justified & Ancient
I had a 1950s Humber Hawk that had the overdrive gearbox. I take it you mean the electrically operated one with a switch on the gear knob.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
My hubby had a Reliant Robin, didn't help that he looked like Del Boy lol

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
I had a 1950s Humber Hawk that had the overdrive gearbox. I take it you mean the electrically operated one with a switch on the gear knob.
Nah, it was a very long lever switch on the dash that you could reach with one finger without taking a hand off the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Krepostnoi

really ought to be translating.
My hubby had a Reliant Robin, didn't help that he looked like Del Boy lol
I've had two three-wheelers, one of which was a custom hatchback! Lifting the inside wheel round corners was entirely possible, but never felt exactly safe. I've had a number of sidecar outfits as well, and they offer much more entertainment per wheel, although I do remember my Reliants fondly.

As I carry the burden of the Aquarian's urge to be different, I also had a Reliant four-wheeler, although sadly not a 3 litre Scimitar like Coal. That shamed a lot of other vehicles, including Chelsea tractors, one heavy snowfall. My heavily pregnant wife had been forced to pull in to a pub car park, and the miserable bar staff refused to put the kettle on for her. I'm still angry about that nearly fifteen years later. The Kitten rescued her with aplomb.

The best car we ever had was a Citroen XM estate. Quick, smooth, futuristic lines, TARDIS like interior. The car I have fondest memories of is our Mazda Bongo. I'm realising that we will most likely never own another car, and that's quite a liberating feeling.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
At one time I had a 1962 Humber Sceptre - basically the smallest Humber made. Although it was quite a heavy car the steering [no power steering in those days] was beautifully light & it also had overdrive which worked in both 3rd & 4th, initiated by a lever on the steering column, like indicators.

When I bought it I had no idea what the lever was for & it didn't seem to do anything. Eventually I found a wire disconnected & hanging off the gearbox. Reconnected it & presto, working overdrive.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
My first car was a Wolseley 6/110 mk1 - three speed box with overdrive on top two gears. I much prefer an overdrive to a fifth gear.

SkepticalX

Devoted Cultist
Years ago, a friend of mine and I bought a 1962 Vespa 400 car for $65. We were both only 14 at the time (too young for a driver's license) so we drove it around his backyard and had an absolute blast. It only had 12 horsepower and topped-out at 35 miles per hour in 3rd, floored.

23377_4216860945810_10079966_n.jpg

If all cars were that much fun, it would be a happier world. :)

Peripart

Antediluvian
We now have a VW Scirocco and a Toyota MR2. I love them to bits, both great, fun cars to drive. The Scirocco is a 1.8 auto from 1990 with no power steering which is a lovely car to cruise around in with the seat almost horizontal, while the MR2 is a '94 model which is amazing on a winding country road. They are our daily drivers and as Cochise said, surprisingly cheap to run. You need to put a bit of effort in occasionally but generally no more or less reliable than a modern car.
I'm sure we've had this sort of conversation before, but I've owned very similar cars to those 2. An '89 Scirocco Scala, but manual rather than auto, and which had been given a mild dose of the Max Power treatment - single wiper, big exhaust, but mostly quite original. Very cheap, and mostly cheerful. The lack of power steering, coupled with the slightly fatter than standard tyres made parking in a tight space quite hard work! I've owned Mk1 and Mk2 MR2s, both of which were great fun - the earlier one gave more raw enjoyment, but the later was much smoother and more relaxing to pootle about in. Both very chuckable, in a controlled sort of way.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
I do remember very much admiring a friends Toyota Celica (I think) convertible. There is currently a derelict Scimitar GTE on a property adjacent to mine.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
Unfortunately the owner is convinced he's going to restore it.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Unfortunately the owner is convinced he's going to restore it.
I used to know somebody like that. He had 2 Scimitars in a non-functioning condition standing on the front lawn for years.
He never got round to it and (because of a messy divorce) had to sell the cars cheaply to his brother.