Best Horrible Woman In A Film?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I've noticed quite a few people class Jenny from Forest Gump as the most horrible cinematic woman from the silver screen. Yes she was self absorbed and you wanted Forrest to ditch her every time she popped up again because you knew there was never going to be anything in it for our mate Forrest .. but I wouldn't say she was the worst.

Jenny didn't try to steal 101 Dalmatian puppies so she could use them for a fur coat, she didn't mentally abuse psychiatric patients in Cuckoo's Nest (Nurse Ratched still makes my balls shrink), Jenny didn't pretend not to be possessed anymore so she could attack Ash again just for a laugh or sing "We're gonna get you" ala The Evil Dead ...

Who's your favourite crazy woman film character? .... (who's usually dead nice in real life)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Gladys Cooper as Bette Davis's mother in Now Voyager. Absolutely chilling, often described as the precedent for Mrs Bates in Psycho.

But Jenny from Forrest Gump is pretty clearly a victim, some say stooge, of the progressive society. How dare she want a life for herself, etc. Very reactionary film.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Joan Crawford in more-or-less anything . . . especially, when she was meant to be sympathetic!

Katherine Hepburn usually gives me the creeps, especially as that needy, clawing creature in Lean's Summertime.

Unintentionally horrible, I think.

The best intentionally-horrible woman is surely Adelina Poerio, who features in only the last few frames of another Venice-set film! :hide:

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Ripley from Alien/Aliens. Brutally slaughters maybe hundreds of cute little baby xenomorph facehuggers (even the name is cute!) before they've even hatched and had a chance at life... IN FRONT OF THEIR MOTHER. Fights the mother but cheats and wears a powered exoskeleton (which has a built-in trick flamethrower, how cheaty is that?). Didn't even try to resolve their differences over a cuppa.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Margaret Hamilton's Wicked Witch of the West.
Dorothy, an irresponsible pet owner and teenage delinquent, murders the Wicked Witch of the East and steals the shoes from her still-warm corpse. The WWotE's best friend, the Wicked Witch of the West, gets severely traumatised by this and seeks justice on the murderer-thief. Despite crippling hydrophobia, a serious skin complaint and a constantly-complaining workforce, she battles valiantly until she too is murdered by Dorothy. Dorothy then meets up with a prolific fraudster who blethers some platitudes before plotting to run away from his responsibilities with the underage Dorothy.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I've seen it summed-up as the fillum in which a teenager takes advantage of a free ride to travel to a place she is not known. She murders the first person she meets and teams up with three misfits to overthrow the government.

Did anyone really make this a questionnaire and campaign for the film to be banned? Sounds like hindsight!

It is not a myth that the fim was rated 'A' in the UK. Advised by the bbfc as suited for adult audiences, some local authorities insisted on enforcing it; there was no ban on admission for juniors. They just loitered outside and waited for a pervert to accompany them . . . :oops:

Last edited:

FunkyTT

Fresh Blood

Countess Erezebet Bathory.

One of my fave films, you have a gothic love story, history/war and horror all in one.
The link is the full film if anyone is interested, Italian subs but good free copy I'm glad they put it up .
Flash Gordon and Russia with love on my to watch list now, aware they well known classics but shame on me I've never seen either.

Last edited:

Cochise

Antediluvian
How about Merryl Streep and Goldie Hawn in Death becomes Her? Especially the last scene.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
How about Merryl Streep and Goldie Hawn in Death becomes Her? Especially the last scene.
It's been years since I've watched it .. didn't they just hate each rather than being evil from memory?