• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

best Horror/Thriller Movie

No question about it really:

Best Horror film - Ridley Scott's Alien. I almost kakked my pants when I saw it for the first time, and was jumpy for several days after. I know it was a variation of an old theme; but the tension just built up and up. That HR Giger is seriously disturbed.
Best Thriller - The Usual Suspects. Exceptionally well-plotted and acted, and kept me guessing right up to the end.

I'm rather fond of the original Night of the Living Dead.

The 1963 version of The Haunting with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom in black and white.

NOT the recent one!

Kath

Bit off-topic, I know, because there's no way I'd call it my favourite horror -

I fell asleep on the sofa last night watching The Excorsist III and half woke up during the scene in the hospital - a nurse doing night rounds walks into room, walks out and immediately behind her is this figure wrapped in white sheets coming after her with huge surgical steel shears.

I'm knackered - I kept waking up with that image in my head and it's made me feel odd and stressed all morning. So, actually, maybe it is currently my favourite horror film...

stonedoggy said:
The 1963 version of The Haunting with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom in black and white.

NOT the recent one!
Dang! I was going to say that!! :hmph:

-Or maybe Kwaidan. (Lovely Japanese portmanteau ghost story flick, beautifully designed, and based on traditional tales adapted by Lafcadio Hearn.)

Eraserhead.
I've watched it twice, but I don't think I'll ever be able to watch it again. Too, too creepy. :nooo:

:p for Zygon!

it has a very interesting foliage on wallpaper into face image... I Am Not Obsessed.

POSS Spoilers

My fave scene is where Harris and Bloom hold hands against the fear that is, or isn't stalking Harris in the night. And when it dies away we and Harris realise that Bloom never left the bed on the other side of the room... so what was Harris holding hands with....... I've got the shudders just thinking about it.

I think it has one of the best pure shock moments as well - at teh top of the spiral staircase?

:eek!!!!:

Kath

F.W Mernau 1922 Nosferatu.
Im a big fan of Fritz Langs 'M' its a fantastic thriller, it is so good, a must see.

I'd second Eraserhead. What traumatically freaky film. :eek:

I have a friend who decided to watch it on acid, having never seen it before but having heard it was a bit 'weird'.

He refuses to talk about what happened. :monster::madeyes:

Psycho is a definate up there as far as best thriller, as is the Birds.

Best horror? It's too subjective, but the last ones to really scare me were Evil Dead 1 and Phantasm 1 (watched the same night, couldn't get to sleep for a while).

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. (The original version)

Living in the countryside whenever I walk by a farmhouse or approach one, especially in the summer I start to wonder what could be going on inside.

THe very first Nightmare on Elm street only because I saw it when I was about thirteen at a slumber party and during the third death scene where freddy was stringing the guy up in jail the whole town lost power. So I huess it was the overall experience of watching the flick. ( plus has Johnny Depp how can you lose) I liked the first Friday the 13th. As for just Creepy there was a movie years ago called the Changeling with George C. Scott, I haven't seen it since I was a kid. I love Psycho, North by Northwest and Dial M for Murder in the thriller department.

Best ghost film probably Stir of Echoes, horror- It or Hellraiser are both good, might remember more later!

whats the older film that has a woman galloping through the forest at night on as white horse shouting 'Murderer! Muderer!' I loved that when I stayed up on Hammer horror nights with my sister when I was a kid.

There was a horror flick I used to watch as a kid that I loves called Dead and Buried. Anyone else remeber this one? The whole town consists of zombies that the crazy mortician has raised from the dead. Fairly cheesy in retrospect, but I must have watched it at least fifty times back then. I also loved Evil Dead. Though when I was about five is when Salems Lot came on T.V. for some reason my parents let me watch and I slept with the covers over my head for ar least two years afterward. Saw it last year on Sci-Fi channel not at all scary.

I remember "Dead and Buried". In fact I watched it for the first time a few months ago, pretty good. It had a young Robert Englund in it as well.
I have so many favourite horror films that it's often hard to narrow them down: Don't Look Now for the last five minutes, Psycho for always being scary no matter how many times I see it, Ring and Dark Water for pure brown trouser moments, The Pit and The Pendulum for Vincent Price going looney par excellence, Invasion of The Body Snatchers (all three versions are good but the second has a special place in my heart, The Vanishing (not the remake, shame on the director of the original for doing it!), The Fly (brilliant Cronenburg dialogue and effects), The Thing (just brilliant gore effects, like barf out! Gag me with a spoon!), The Innocents, Dead of Night (the mirror scene), Night of The Demon, Night of The Eagle....

Okay, I'll stop now. Sorry I'm pure fan boy!

PS: Completely unrelated but if you like swort and sorcery novels read Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar series. I'm going through them at the moment and every book is a pure gem.

All The Best to All

Jon

My Grandpa is in the newest version of Invasion of the Body snatchers. The one with Gabriel Anwar. Just a bit part.

wet dry list

For creepiness, Dead Ringers is hard to beat. You can count the exterior shots on three fingers IIRC. For thrills, with creepiness, Apartment Zero and the original Nightwatch.

I thought that i had seen a lot of horror movies until you guys started posting WOW. Now I have so many new things to check out. I have to say this last year or so I am finding less and less that appeals to me at the theater, I find myself going to the video store and going through all of the older stuff. I tell you most don't have anything in the classics section.

Am I the only person on this board to have ever heard of or seen Paperhouse?

You're all missing out on a hugely underrated psychological horror. The ending lets it down a little though.

Nope, I've seen Paperhouse too, but I wasn't all that impressed.

River_Styx said:

You're all missing out on a hugely underrated psychological horror. The ending lets it down a little though.

The film never got close to the sheer nighmarish surreal horror of the 70s kids series version. The book is good too.

Marion said:
The film never got close to the sheer nighmarish surreal horror of the 70s kids series version. The book is good too.

I've heard of the kids series but I've never seen it and I can't find the book so I'm assuming it has a different title to both the film and the series :rolleyes:
I think the best part of the film for me are the locations and set designs the makers have used, some very bleak and depressing locales.

River_Styx said:

I saw it too, I never read the book and didn't realise there was TV series.

It was OK, but a bit weak at the end.

Best Horror Films: 'The Fly' (David Cronenberg version) and 'Poltergiest' (not the sequels)...older Horror film: 'Night of the Demon'.

Best thriller: Manhunter (the first version of Red Dragon)

Not sure what category but scarey as hell, the original Dutch version of 'The Vanishing'.

The book is called Marianne Dreams (Faber Children's Classics S.) by Catherine Storr , buy it on Amazon, one click! :D

I would bet that just on sheer numbers alone, The Exorcist scared more people than any other movie. Nobody had seen anything like that when it came out. Same goes for Alien and the chestburster scene, I would've loved to have been in the theater in '79 and scene the audience react to that for the 1st time!

:cool:

It's been years ago but IIRC I liked Paperhouse and director Bernard Rose's more Fortean - and best Clive Barker adaptation - Candyman.

Speaking of YA books, does anyone know a book called House of Stairs? When I read it one sniffly afternoon, I was reminded of Cube.

Marianne Dreams.... I hadn't made that connection at all.....

ta!

Kath

Back