• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Best Villains Of All Time?

He has played some real good villians, and done it with style

Last edited:
Joe Pesci as the psychotic gangster Tommy DeVito in GoodFellas:

Henry Hill: “Just... ya know... you're funny.”

Tommy DeVito: “You mean, let me understand this, cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?”

Chilling.

maximus otter

Last edited:
Servelan
Matthew Hopkins
Lord Summerisle
Immortan Joe
Negan

Honorable mention: Clay Morrow.

Most crap villain: Darth Vader and the entire Star Wars Empire.

Servelan
Matthew Hopkins
Lord Summerisle
Immortan Joe
Negan

Honorable mention: Clay Morrow.

Most crap villain: Darth Vader and the entire Star Wars Empire.
Best Villain : Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest .. in subsequent behind the scenes interviews, Louise Fletcher was SO good, the other actors and crew members would sit away from her on food breaks between takes because they were afraid of her .. so one day, fed up of all this (and to remind them all that she was only acting and not really a super bitch), she whipped her top off and streaked the set topless ..

Last edited:
Andy Griffith (Yes, THAT Andy Griffith)

MV5BODYxZDc5NWQtOTkxNS00NDllLWIzYjctZDg2MDc5MzYyZmQ5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU0NzkwMDg@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I'd say A Face in the Crowd, the film that predicted President Trump - back in 1955. Everyone called it farfetched back then. Hey ho.

Yes, indeed. Another fine dark performance by Griffith.

I agree with Dave Plankton:

The man who growled out these words, was a stoutly-built fellow of about five-and-thirty, in a black velveteen coat, very soiled drab breeches, lace-up half boots, and grey cotton stockings which enclosed a bulky pair of legs, with large swelling calves—the kind of legs, which in such costume, always look in an unfinished and incomplete state without a set of fetters to garnish them. He had a brown hat on his head, and a dirty belcher handkerchief round his neck: with the long frayed ends of which he smeared the beer from his face as he spoke. He disclosed, when he had done so, a broad heavy countenance with a beard of three weeks' growth, and two scowling eyes; one of which displayed various parti-coloured symptoms of having been recently damaged by a blow.

Both versions of Magneto in the X-men films. Though it's arguable that the young Magneto (Michael Fassbinder) is an anti-hero, and even the older Magneto (Ian McKellan) is motivated by protecting the other mutants, rather than conquering the world or for wealth.

And a mention for Patrica Highsmith's Tom Ripley.

giphy-3.gif
giphy-4.gif
giphy-5.gif
giphy-6.gif

Cushing is just universally superb, but this scene is masterful:

And quite apart from his lines, look at Cushing's reaction shot and facial expressions when other characters speak here:

Last edited:
Negan out of The Walking Dead in THAT episode where he's skull destroying with his barbwire wrapped baseball bat 'Lucille' was out there .. one of the most shocking episodes of anything I've ever seen on a TV set .. I mean, to do it is bad enough but to stop half way through and chat with your dying victim to taunt them to prolong the terror and pain ? .. I willingly forgot it was all actors and make believe, I wanted Negan dead so badly .. for anyone who hasn't seen that critical cruel episode, here you go .. it's nasty and NSFW

Best villain? Top Dollar. A man with a vision.

Warning for fruity language

Actually, Michael Wincott had a fair few good baddies in his back catalogue.

Best Villain : Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest .. in subsequent behind the scenes interviews, Louise Fletcher was SO good, the other actors and crew members would sit away from her on food breaks between takes because they were afraid of her .. so one day, fed up of all this (and to remind them all that she was only acting and not really a super bitch), she whipped her top off and streaked the set topless ..

Ratched: Nurse Ratched's (Sarah Paulson) origin story but much more than just that: serial killers, a crazed egocentric politician (Vibcent D'Onfrio).. this is One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest on speed. Even the patients are more interesting: Charlotte (Sophie Okonedo) has D.I.D, - "I was first chair violin with the Boston Pops", "Beethoven would fuck yo in the face!"; Edmund (Finn Wittrock) has butchered four priests. Some horrific lobotomy scenes. The ensemble cast also includes Amanda Plummer, Cynthia Nixon, Sharon Stone, Judy Davis and Corey Stoll. Wonderful costumes and set decoration in pastel colours. Ratched is a complex character, amoral rather than evil, driven, manipulative but capable of affection. Devised and some episodes written/directed by Ryan Murphy. Eight episodes on Netflix. 8/10.

Ratched: Nurse Ratched's (Sarah Paulson) origin story but much more than just that: serial killers, a crazed egocentric politician (Vibcent D'Onfrio).. this is One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest on speed. Even the patients are more interesting: Charlotte (Sophie Okonedo) has D.I.D, - "I was first chair violin with the Boston Pops", "Beethoven would fuck yo in the face!"; Edmund (Finn Wittrock) has butchered four priests. Some horrific lobotomy scenes. The ensemble cast also includes Amanda Plummer, Cynthia Nixon, Sharon Stone, Judy Davis and Corey Stoll. Wonderful costumes and set decoration in pastel colours. Ratched is a complex character, amoral rather than evil, driven, manipulative but capable of affection. Devised and some episodes written/directed by Ryan Murphy. Eight episodes on Netflix. 8/10.
I watched the first episode of this last night. I thought it was OK but I couldn't get over it not being Louise Fletcher's chilling portrayal .. I'll persevere with it anyway.

I watched the first episode of this last night. I thought it was OK but I couldn't get over it not being Louise Fletcher's chilling portrayal .. I'll persevere with it anyway.

It's alright - I just removed it from the One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest book/film from my mind as it's just way too bonkers a series to be linked with the original.

The Joker, utterly terrifying, the stuff of nightmares. The avatar of chaos, the god of misrule.

OK, this is a bit left field (or perhaps Rive gauche), but what about Audrey Tautou as Amélie?

audrey.JPG

With those gamine looks, she may resemble a cutesy living manga character, but is there something a bit more sinister lurking in those huge doe eyes?

When you analyse her actions, throughout the movie, she is creepily manipulative and ruthlessly insistent on bending people to her will.

She tricks an ill-matched couple into starting a relationship.
She taunts a blind man, teasing him with all the sumptuous detail he will never see.
She callously fakes a letter from beyond the grave to a widow.
She gaslights a local greengrocer to the point of insanity.
She even steals a garden gnome!

Brrrrr ..... chilling!

Film clips contain violence.

Let's get diverse. How about Wes Studi as the icy Magua in The Last of the Mohicans:

iu

"When the Grey Hair is dead, Magua will eat his heart. Before he dies, Magua will put his children under the knife, so the Grey Hair will know his seed is wiped out forever."

- Or Raoul Trujillo as the truly chilling Zero Wolf in Apocalypto:

latest

"When I catch him, I will peel his skin and have him watch me wear it."

maximus otter

Azula from `The Last Airbender`

A cold, very calculating villainess with a devils smile.

Even a whole season before we meet her we know what shes like.

Zuko and his Mum are feeding turtleducks in the pond.
"Heres how Azula feeds turtleducks" He says
And he throws a big rock slap down on a turleduckling.

Luckily turtleducks have a hard shell...

And yet her friends stick around for her, even though they know whats shes like.

General Woundwort:

Having been bought up in the country and seen cats, rats, etc rip each other to pieces I was always surprised to see how graphic the violence in that fight scene.

Last edited:
Back