Better Than They Need To Be

GNC

King-Sized Canary
It's always a pleasure to find something that is better than it needs to be. One example going through my head recently is the theme tune to cartoon Battle of the Planets:

Written by Hanna-Barbera's go-to theme song guy, Hoyt Curtin (he wrote The Flintstones theme too). The show was basically a toned down re-edit of an anime series bought in bulk cheaply by US producer Sandy Frank.

Any other candidates for stuff that's better than it needs to be?

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
It's always a pleasure to find something that is better than it needs to be. One example going through my head recently is the theme tune to cartoon Battle of the Planets:

Written by Hanna-Barbera's go-to theme song guy, Hoyt Curtin (he wrote The Flintstones theme too). The show was basically a toned down re-edit of an anime series bought in bulk cheaply by US producer Sandy Frank.

That brought back memories. I spent rainy days building the Phoenix out of lego to crash it and rebuild it again, like it was meant to be.

henry

still speeding
That brought back memories. I spent rainy days building the Phoenix out of lego to crash it and rebuild it again, like it was meant to be.
i did exactly this too ... and the smaller vehicles ... i bet they looked nothing like ...

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient

I have a vague memory of seeing this, but didn't see too much of it to remember it in a clear way. I may have been distracted by He-Man and Transformers...

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
I've been saying for years that the folk songs in Bagpuss are far more complex and interesting than they had any need to be in a show for toddlers, which is, of course, a very good thing XD
I absolutely agree. I'm the right age to have enjoyed, nay, loved Bagpuss when it was broadcast, but it was only when I bought a DVD to show my own children that I realised how great the music was. And figured out that my abiding love of folk music was probably planted by this very show - I didn't grow up in a folkie household, far from it.
The Cosgrove Hall cartoons had theme songs far better than they needed to be. Exhibit A:
By a very weird coincidence and convoluted path, I learnt just two days ago that the music for many Cosgrove Hall productions was composed by Mike Harding. (But not Jamie and the Magic Torch, apparently.) The Dangermouse theme is not really folk, but it is a fabulous theme tune for a show like that. And only now do I put two and two together and wonder whether they commissioned a folk musician in the hope of conjuring up similar magic as Bagpuss had had.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Something that I've long felt fits into this category is Doc Martin. For those not in the know, this is a light-hearted British TV drama about the life of a grumpy doctor working in a small Cornish fishing town which is full of oddball characters.

There would be every excuse for the actors to take this not at all seriously, and for the show not to attract decent thesps in any case. But au contraire - the cast is excellent, ranging from Martin Clunes in the title role, Ian McNeice, Stephanie Cole, (Dame!) Eileen Atkins and others in some of the main roles, and a host of supporting actors playing well-rounded (even if rather larger than life) characters. They've even had Sigourney Weaver making a guest appearance*!

Not only that, but I'm told that most of the medical stuff is pretty spot on as well...

*There's a reason why this isn't quite as surprising as it may seem. Apparently, Ms Weaver is very close friends with Selina Cadell, who plays the slightly deranged pharmacist.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
I know exactly what the intention of your thread is @GNC.... but find it strangely-difficult to cite examples.

There's possibly a circular illogicality within our attempts to identify exemplars that exceed mere sufficiency of instance, in that to like/love something (not just acknowledging it meets the most-basic levels of acceptability) is almost-always as a result of a hybrid combination of reasons.

I'm really describing my proposition rather poorly, here, but I'll try to illustrate what I mean via metaphor. If you consider the difference between a conceptual development, or artistic creation of any sort, and a deliberately-developed solution, there is going to be headroom for any such first-case endevour to be massively-better than it 'needs' to be, because in most contexts it meets & exceeds criteria of requirement that are quintessentially-subjective (ie if it's liked, it's very likely to be loved by a significant vocal constituency of consumers).

Conversely, engineered solutions (or, to some extent, all projects) could arguably be said in a sense to be strategic failures if they are much better than they were designed or intended to be. I'm trying to use strict applications of 'quality control syntax', here, and failing.

Perhaps I'm trying to chase-down and dissect the untrappable concept of seredipitous excess success (I should also not post onto threads whilst asleep)

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Something that I've long felt fits into this category is Doc Martin. For those not in the know, this is a light-hearted British TV drama about the life of a grumpy doctor working in a small Cornish fishing town which is full of oddball characters.

There would be every excuse for the actors to take this not at all seriously, and for the show not to attract decent thesps in any case. But au contraire - the cast is excellent, ranging from Martin Clunes in the title role, Ian McNeice, Stephanie Cole, (Dame!) Eileen Atkins and others in some of the main roles, and a host of supporting actors playing well-rounded (even if rather larger than life) characters. They've even had Sigourney Weaver making a guest appearance*!

Not only that, but I'm told that most of the medical stuff is pretty spot on as well...

*There's a reason why this isn't quite as surprising as it may seem. Apparently, Ms Weaver is very close friends with Selina Cadell, who plays the slightly deranged pharmacist.
We love that show! Partly it's because Martin reminds us of Ms Popper's father, a straight talking Yankee GP who had a much more normal personality but still was a lot like the character. But it's so well done, well written, and funny. There were so many sight gags too, like the air bag in Doc's car deploying at the slightest bump the first two seasons or so. Just when you thought things couldn't get any sillier, Burt would pull some harebrained stunt and mayhem would ensue.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
First thing I looked up when I got online (Mid 90s)

Battle of the Planets.

Not looked back since.

(I will have you know that is my anatomy and not some suit).

Kondoru

Antediluvian
I have a real beak and wings.

Oddly, for someone not into superhero tales, even as a child, I did love `Battle of the Planets`....

But G Force are exploited teens...and they do not win in the end.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Does this go here? I think we had a TV themes thread somewhere but it's probly toppled off the edge of chat.

This is another brief though memorable piece of thematic music put to a very well-conceived Fortean kids show from the 70s I loved.
Anybody see it?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Yes, that's ideal, great title sequence and a theme tune from Dudley Simpson (who soundtracked some great Doctor Who stories). Must admit I never watched The Tomorrow People, I was a bit young and had never even heard of it until I picked up a paperback tie-in to read after it was all over. The plot was the "Hitler was an alien" one, if you're interested.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
I don't care if Chorlton and the Wheelies has been mentioned in other threads, it is definitely better than it needed to be for a children's animation. The Thames Television logo, the theme tune, a Mancunian dragon with a Yorkshire accent, a Welsh Kettle Witch, a telescope called One Eye O'Reilly, Japanese fungi and a Prussian talking spellbook called Claptrap Von Spilldebeans -"Entschuldigen Sie gnadige Frau.." I learnt loads.