Better Than They Need To Be

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Here's a trailer that's better than it needs to be:

It's your basic Sly Stallone action flick from the 1990s, but this makes it look like a masterpiece.

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
Certainly the most sinister.
Absolutely- there is an early episode where he drives into a petrol station where the helpful attendant walks behind Captain Black's car to fill up the tank, and Black starts the car, casually reverses and crushes the man to death. On top of that his voice is one of the creepiest things I ever heard on kiddies TV.

Very dark stuff for a children's puppet show, but utterly fantastic.

Last edited:

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
I would nominate Chris Langham's two biopics: George Orwell a Life in Pictures and John Whyndam: The Invisible Man of Science Fiction.

These are brilliantly acted by Langham and manage to be both informative and entertaining at the same time (everything, in fact, that the BBC set out to be in the first place).

I'd put the boat out and say that the Orwell one in particular - partly owing to Langham's physical similarity to the writer and partly to its very dry humour -is one of the best things that the BBC has ever done. Both were far better than they needed to be because documentaries could have been made about these people without Langam's pitch perfect reconstructions - but those involved went the extra mile.

I'm linking the Whyndam one - what with this being a Fortean site:

GerdaWordyer

Abominable Snowman
We love that show! Partly it's because Martin reminds us of Ms Popper's father, a straight talking Yankee GP who had a much more normal personality but still was a lot like the character. But it's so well done, well written, and funny. There were so many sight gags too, like the air bag in Doc's car deploying at the slightest bump the first two seasons or so. Just when you thought things couldn't get any sillier, Burt would pull some harebrained stunt and mayhem would ensue.
The cute dog running gag (running literally, sometimes) is cute. Apparently Martin Clunes has to explain that he doesn't hate cute dogs from time to time.