• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Betty / Barney Hill Abduction (New Hampshire; 1961)

^ I'm pretty familiar with the whole RV scene going back to the days of people like Ed Dames and others who claimed to work for the US gubbermint. Read several books years ago and conversed on forums years ago about the phenomena.
My impression has always been that it's simply not reliable nor repeatable in most cases.

I think the days when it was just a mysterious process have long gone. The remote viewing sessions now are open and you can see the remote viewers trying to understand the impressions that flow. When you relate the impressions to what's better known, it fascinates me.

Nothing about remote viewing is remotely plausible. And the only element of mind control in the Hill saga is that provided by the hypnotist, who encouraged them to free-associate new details out of their subconscious- a method that never produces useful results. Tip to UFO investigators- never encourage the use of hypnosis, or take 'recovered memories' on face value.

Betty Hill seems to have been driven slightly bonkers by this incident. Here's Robert Shaeffer describing his encounter with her;
I was present at the National UFO Conference in New York City in 1980, at which Betty presented some of the UFO photos she had taken. She showed what must have been well over two hundred slides, mostly of blips, blurs, and blobs against a dark background. These were supposed to be UFOs coming in close, chasing her car, landing, etc... After her talk had exceeded about twice its allotted time, Betty was literally jeered off the stage by what had been at first a very sympathetic audience. This incident, witnessed by many of UFOlogy's leaders and top activists, removed any lingering doubts about Betty's credibility—she had none.
Assuming she was sane before this encounter, we can only really blame one of two parties; the hypnotist who recovered these dubious 'memories', or the aliens who buzzed around in the dark scaring innocent people half to death. The guilty party(ies) should be held to account.

That's a real shame about poor old Betty. I would blame the hypnotist, because I don't believe hypnotism is a useful investigative tool, it's too close to dreaming and we all know what kind of rubbish can pop into our heads while we dream. You could say the same about remote viewing, I suppose.

That's a real shame about poor old Betty. I would blame the hypnotist, because I don't believe hypnotism is a useful investigative tool, it's too close to dreaming and we all know what kind of rubbish can pop into our heads while we dream. You could say the same about remote viewing, I suppose.
I think that as far as remote viewing is concerned, it seems to be the case that much of the stuff that pops into the heads of the viewers is irrelevant or fantasy, but (certainly for the better exponents) a fair percentage is amazingly accurate. For Intelligence work this is nothing out of the ordinary -- 90% of the info they get from conventional sources proves unreliable anyway. But the accurate 10% is the reason why the project was continued for so long, and why they were still getting requests for info from all the major agencies even when the decision was taken to close it. It's a fair bet that a similar project, protected under a higher level of classification, is still ongoing somewhere.

Regarding the hypnotist involved, his conclusion was only that the two witnesses believed in the reality of what they recalled -- which of course will cover both the fantasy and the mind control theories.

I'm open-minded about remote viewing, but it apparently didn't prove useful because of the amount of noise and false hits. Totally agree about hypnotism.

When I got interested in mind control and disinformation in the 80s I came on a lot of evidence that several classic cases were actually staged, although it wasn't until I got Stanton Friedman's book a few years ago that I became certain that the Hills case was also created maybe using mind control. I wrote up an article about it that didn't attract a lot of interest at the time, but which I will attach here -- besides the Hills I also discuss a couple of less well known cases. (The article was aimed at a US audience at a time when I was trying to make a bit extra by getting writing work online.)

It's a very interesting paper, well worth reading, I'd venture the disinformation generated by such operations would cause increasing confusion amongst the intelligence community itself.

What's interesting about the remote viewing is that a craft and abduction is definitely at the root of all 3 observers perceptions. One viewer (clearly not versed in abduction reports) is visibly upset by the physical probing of the subjects.

It's a very interesting paper, well worth reading, I'd venture the disinformation generated by such operations would cause increasing confusion amongst the intelligence community itself.

What's interesting about the remote viewing is that a craft and abduction is definitely at the root of all 3 observers perceptions. One viewer (clearly not versed in abduction reports) is visibly upset by the physical probing of the subjects.
That's a good idea, because it is perfectly possible that different organisations could be independently running such operations for their own purposes without informing other agencies -- in fact, many of the US intelligence agencies seem to be very reluctant to co-operate with each other, which is of course a major reason why the 911 attacks were not anticipated. Some agents were well aware that a plan to fly aircraft into buildings was in the air but were told by their superiors in the FBI not to transmit that info to the CIA. As far as I know the US has never had an equivalent of the London Controlling Section that co-ordinated all British disinformation during WWII. Maybe there is no overarching plan regarding UFOs, just a lot of operations aimed at different objectives.
Yes, seems to me that the Remote Viewers can tap into virtually anything, real places and events, thoughts and beliefs, with no way of distinguishing between these options. There is no doubt that the Hills, and many ufologists, absolutely believed in the "alien abduction" -- but that doesn't mean that it was all it seemed to be.

I would like to hear a well thought out explanation of why our govt ,or any other group for that matter, would want to stage a ufo abduction using the Hills as their target. To what purpose? I honestly can't think of any good reason for such a charade.

I would like to hear a well thought out explanation of why our govt ,or any other group for that matter, would want to stage a ufo abduction using the Hills as their target. To what purpose? I honestly can't think of any good reason for such a charade.
Well, as I suggested, it seems to be the ideal way to field test some new piece of mind control technology -- to see if totally ordinary subjects could be manipulated to believe sincerely that they had been kidnapped by alien beings, and if the truth would remain hidden under hypnosis.

A very long-term psy ops? Testing reactions among ordinary subjects, creating news that catches the public imagination, a slow but steady campaign to soften people up for some unknown endgame?
I don't know either.

If you look closely, it has the two "bat" wings or projections on either side of the object as mentioned by Barney. It also appears to be elliptical and have a darkened area at front --perhaps the windows. Only problem is it might be a bit small. I've not seen any other UFO photo with the fins / wings at the sides..

barney-sketch.jpeg

hillsufo.jpg

https://www.ufocasebook.com/Hill3.html
uh, nope, the "bat wings" are an ring around the saucer, its a saturn shaped one

uh, nope, the "bat wings" are an ring around the saucer, its a saturn shaped one
Hmmm. I see an elliptical object tilted toward viewer with two "bat wing" projections at the sides. You can see the edge of the front side as it curves around out of view at the left. --no time to do drawing now.

Note the indentations at 1, 2. That is where the main body of the craft curves around. The wings are at the sides.

IMG_0265.jpg

Well, as I suggested, it seems to be the ideal way to field test some new piece of mind control technology -- to see if totally ordinary subjects could be manipulated to believe sincerely that they had been kidnapped by alien beings, and if the truth would remain hidden under hypnosis.
Why not use a different theme....why aliens...why not convince them they see bigfoot or a terrorist or something?
It seems risky and somewhat silly to me.

A very long-term psy ops? Testing reactions among ordinary subjects, creating news that catches the public imagination, a slow but steady campaign to soften people up for some unknown endgame?
I don't know either.
Well...it doesn't work for me...seems stupid on multiple levels...again why 'soften' up the public on aliens..?

Why not use a different theme....why aliens...why not convince them they see bigfoot or a terrorist or something?
It seems risky and somewhat silly to me.
I suggested various possibilities, but the one that crops up more often than others is the "fake alien invasion" scenario. With two possible (very different) strategic aims -- 1. To unify humanity against a common threat; or 2. To give the US military/industrial people an excuse to develop new weapons of mass destruction. Otherwise it is part of the general method of covering up security lapses regarding secret projects, building up nonsensical tales of alien activity to deflect the attention of scientists and others. I wonder if it might not be a basic part of disinformation training -- producing alleged disclosures about UFOs, such as Majestic 12.

Well...it doesn't work for me...seems stupid on multiple levels...again why 'soften' up the public on aliens..?
To accept them without violence when they invade?

Why not use a different theme....why aliens...why not convince them they see bigfoot or a terrorist or something? ...

It was 1961. The UFO / flying saucer craze was well-established. The Bigfoot craze hadn't really started yet (P-G film was still years away), and "terrorist" wasn't a term in everyday use (yet).

Regarding the mind control thing.......I certainly understand why some one who accepts the whole 'alien meme' might think that the gubbermint might do such bizarre things, but imho most gubbermint groups couldn't find their toes let alone do something that nefarious.
Doesn't work at all for me.

It was 1961. The UFO / flying saucer craze was well-established. The Bigfoot craze hadn't really started yet (P-G film was still years away), and "terrorist" wasn't a term in everyday use (yet).
I think that "terrorism" was already well known, in fact the term was in use in the 20s/30s. It's just become more commonplace! The late 50s/early 60s was the time when the CIA was heavily into project MKULTRA, and we know nothing about what other agencies (e.g. NSA or the USAF) were doing along the same lines, although there are rumours, of course.

Regarding the mind control thing.......I certainly understand why some one who accepts the whole 'alien meme' might think that the gubbermint might do such bizarre things, but imho most gubbermint groups couldn't find their toes let alone do something that nefarious.
Doesn't work at all for me.
That's if the government is even "in the loop" as to what is going on. I can't see anyone wanting the current president to have details of something like that.

I think that "terrorism" was already well known, in fact the term was in use in the 20s/30s. ...

The term was in use a lot earlier, but mainly as a formal label among academics and occasionally as a pejorative term for non-conventional warfare tactics elsewhere in the world. It had no widespread currency in the American scene as of 1961, and hence could not have served as an effective memetic context for inducing or tracking psyops influence.

The term was in use a lot earlier, but mainly as a formal label among academics and occasionally as a pejorative term for non-conventional warfare tactics elsewhere in the world. It had no widespread currency in the American scene as of 1961, and hence could not have served as an effective memetic context for inducing or tracking psyops influence.
Interesting. I recall seeing the word in an old Bulldog Drummond book, which suggests it may have had wider currency in the UK than in the States.

That's if the government is even "in the loop" as to what is going on. I can't see anyone wanting the current president to have details of something like that.
And what exactly is 'going on'...?
My problem is that people assume something is going on......it might be that the govt/military has looked into the ufo area for years now (decades) and decided due to lack of ability to get any good hard data (pictures/radar are the only data that seems relevant and that is not available in these high strangeness cases) that it's been put on the back burner. There's no reason to assume that there is even any 'working group' these days dedicated to such things.

Last edited:
The Hill case seems to fit some odd ufo events (and related paranormal things) that have happened over' centuries' in that it has some high strangeness , is bizarre in many respects regarding the way it unfolded, and is not provable when looked at.
Dr Vallee and others have looked at these events and wondered the same things about them. Do they represent legitimate alien craft encounters or is something else triggering these experiences?

I think the Hills had an encounter with an object; the description up to the humanoid part seems like so many others. I suspect that the humanoids are some kind of confabulation due to hypnosis, or some kind of planted "memories". I think these are ET or something stranger, or both (i.e. some kind of other reality or intelligences from some other place). An advanced tech that appears magical to us.

Back