• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Between Worlds: Folklore And Fairy Tales From Northern Britain

Ulalume

tart of darkness
I happened upon this announcement from Durham University and thought it might be of interest here:

Between Worlds: Folklore and Fairy Tales from Northern Britain
14 October 2017 - 25 February 2018 , 09:00 to 17:00
Palace Green Library
14 October 2017 – 25 February 2018

Close your eyes and picture a fairy. You might see a pretty little thing with wings, eager to make all your wishes come true. This is the version of fairies that we know today, but there also exists a much older, very different idea of a fairy, that might not look and act how you expect.

This new temporary exhibition takes its inspiration from medieval romance, ballads, and collections of folklore compiled between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries, which tell of encounters with otherworldly creatures and journeys into mysterious worlds. It presents a forgotten type of fairy tale, very different to those that we are familiar with in today’s popular culture.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/palace.green/whatson/details/?id=36250

I went down this morning and found that no photography was allowed. I would have broken the rules but the exhibition was being held in quite a small room with a supervisor sitting in the corner. Not much there that would make a good photo anyway, it was mostly old books on display with certain pages showing. Various editions of Robert Kirk's Secret Commonwealth, Thomas the Rhymer etc. Some of them were very old and handwritten with illustrations.

On the walls they had some framed comic panels by Bryan Talbot, author of Alice in Sunderland and Luther Arkwright.
These concerned the slaying of the Lambton Worm. Also some framed woodblock prints by Eric Gill, infamous designer of the Gill Sans typeface and a David Hockney print, likely to be from this collection.

Also a case containing a couple of Witch Balls.

Back