• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
That struck me when I was watching it, I know it's been done in America, I just wonder if there are legal obstacles here regarding the use of ancestral DNA.
My understanding is that it's up to the individual websites to decide if they will allow it or not.

I did a search and came up with this interesting article:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-of-such-methods-in-the-uk-accessible-version

"This process of uploading DNA from a crime scene in the ‘Golden State killer’ case to GEDmatch violated the terms and conditions of use. These terms stated that the person submitting the DNA had to declare that; it was their own DNA; or they were the legal guardian of the DNA donor; or they were otherwise authorised.

23andMe, AncestryDNA and MyHeritage do not allow law enforcement use of their databases without a warrant. FamilyTreeDNA offers an ‘opt-out from law enforcement matching’ possibility, and all European users are automatically opted out in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Contributors to GEDmatch, which allows law enforcement use of ‘public’ profiles with permission in serious cases, must actively opt in to law enforcement matching."

I've just watched something on Netflix (possibly, it was somewhere like that, but I can't remember!) which did a whole section about the Barrowlands murders and I thought they said that Peter Tobin had dark hair as a youngster, when everyone agreed that Bible John had reddish blond hair? And the photofit didn't show the distinctive teeth, neither did the portrait, however, when they got a police artist to repaint the portrait with the teeth visible, it started to look like a cartoon.

New suspects emerge...

New Bible John suspects emerge as photofit sees dozens come forward with vital info in hunt for serial killer​

The serial killer, believed to have murdered three young women in Glasgowover 50 years ago, has never been caught.

Names of potential suspects have emerged in the Bible John case following updated images showing what the killer may look like now.
The serial killer, believed to have murdered three young women in Glasgow over 50 years ago, has never been caught.
But the deaths of Helen Puttock, Jemima McDonald and Patricia Docker have attracted renewed interest following a BBC documentary in November which examined the hunt for their killer.
New photofits of the suspect were also published in the Record and dozens of potential suspects have been put forward by the public.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/new-bible-john-suspects-emerge-25836638

Talking of Peter Tobin, the policeman on the recent BBC Scotland documentary said that there was no DNA match with him and Bible John.

They kept that pretty quiet, didn't they?!

Talking of Peter Tobin, the policeman on the recent BBC Scotland documentary said that there was no DNA match with him and Bible John.

They kept that pretty quiet, didn't they?!

It was widely awaited and discussed up here?

I seem to recall a documentary I watched a few years back that implied another serial killer in the Central Belt who could well have been Bible John. If I recall he had a camper van and had killed two or three women and the main crux of the episode was that his first wife had escaped him and was showing distress that had she come forward the other girls may have lived. May be misremembering but I remember it gave a decent case of another potential candidate.

I seem to recall a documentary I watched a few years back that implied another serial killer in the Central Belt who could well have been Bible John. If I recall he had a camper van and had killed two or three women and the main crux of the episode was that his first wife had escaped him and was showing distress that had she come forward the other girls may have lived. May be misremembering but I remember it gave a decent case of another potential candidate.

Was it this one on Netflix

“The Investigator: A British Crime Story”

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80144146?s=i&trkid=13747225&vlang=en&clip=81001374

Part 1 of the new BBC doc airs on BBC2 Tuesday night (previously on BBC Scotland)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0011xrp

I watched that last night, and it was very good, a real slow burner. Instead of leaping ahead of itself, it tried to portray life in Glasgow at the time in a chronological manner, with the Bible John killings woven into the story. Even knowing as we do now that (as yet) the killer hasn't been identified, the slow pace of the show was perfect for ratcheting up the tension.

I watched that last night, and it was very good, a real slow burner. Instead of leaping ahead of itself, it tried to portray life in Glasgow at the time in a chronological manner, with the Bible John killings woven into the story. Even knowing as we do now that (as yet) the killer hasn't been identified, the slow pace of the show was perfect for ratcheting up the tension.
Got a good review in The Guardian

The Hunt for Bible John – is this the best true-crime documentary ever made?​

A city is in crisis, a serial killer is on the loose in 1960s Glasgow and the BBC’s excellent documentary series feels like a David Fincher drama

Stuart Heritage
@stuheritage
Tue 4 Jan 2022 16.40 GMT

One of the biggest television wishes I harbour for this year is the end of true-crime documentaries. Ever since Netflix’s Making a Murderer hit big in 2015, the genre has found itself crashing from new low to new low. The majority of true crime shows since then have been grubby and exploitative – so quick to rush towards sensationalist thrills that they teeter on the brink of idolising criminals at the expense of victims. If I never watched another true-crime documentary, I’d be the world’s happiest boy.
So it’s irritating to discover that the first big true-crime documentary of the year is one of the best I’ve seen. The Hunt for Bible John (BBC Two) is technically not new – it aired on BBC Scotland late last year – but its BBC Two debut this week should bring it wider attention. If it does, it will be absolutely warranted.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...his-the-best-true-crime-documentary-ever-made

It was a real eye opener to the sheer grimness of some of Glasgow in the 60s & it’s array of slum tenements, many of which had whole families living in one room with no toilets or hot water, some without even glass in their windows.

It was a real eye opener to the sheer grimness of some of Glasgow in the 60s & it’s array of slum tenements, many of which had whole families living in one room with no toilets or hot water, some without even glass in their windows.

One of the reasons I love my city is how far we've come. And how much we appreciate it.

One of the reasons I love my city is how far we've come. And how much we appreciate it.
Yup, Techy and I watched and had a shock. Not just about the state of the housing but also the general air of violence.

If you think that was bad, that was the posh part :)
:sstorm:
Yup, I grew up in a town with a declining heavy industry and mostly poor-quality terraced housing.
At least we had a single tap in the kitchen though and an actual flushing cludgie* down t'yard.
Luxury. :cool:

*I'd heard that word used locally but thought it was northern English. Didn't know until just now that it's Scottish.

Yup, I grew up in a town with a declining heavy industry and mostly poor-quality terraced housing.
At least we had a single tap in the kitchen though and an actual flushing cludgie* down t'yard.
Luxury. :cool:

*I'd heard that word used locally but thought it was northern English. Didn't know until just now that it's Scottish.
We invented everything up here :)

One curious detail:
the body of Jemima McDonald was discovered by children on the Sunday after her murder; this discovery was not reported to the police, but became the subject of rumour in the neighbourhood. For some reason no-one wanted to report this fact until Monday morning, when McDonald's sister went to check out the rumours and saw the body herself.

One curious detail:
the body of Jemima McDonald was discovered by children on the Sunday after her murder; this discovery was not reported to the police, but became the subject of rumour in the neighbourhood. For some reason no-one wanted to report this fact until Monday morning, when McDonald's sister went to check out the rumours and saw the body herself.
The only possibilities I can think of were no-one believing a group of children and Bridgeton was, and still is, a rough area (apologies to anyone hailing from there). The police may not have been altogether popular.

The only possibilities I can think of were no-one believing a group of children and Bridgeton was, and still is, a rough area (apologies to anyone hailing from there). The police may not have been altogether popular.

local colour: pronounced brig-tun, hard G.

Back