• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Biblical Spam!

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Has anyone else had this? I'd never heard of such a thing, then lately, I've had a few of these come through my work email:

Date: 30 January 2016 at 08:30
Subject: **SPAM** BIBLES
To:

--
Pastor Frank Idagbonaje
Aghaghekpe Community Bible Church
Santana GOP 167 Market Road 8950,
Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria.

Dear Fellow Servant in Christ,

I bring you greetings in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ the Saviour of the World.
Together we can raise the roof of the kingdom of God and because the angels in Heaven to rejoice Continually. That For Each soul is saved, the angels rejoice (LUKE 15: 7.10). The Lord, of course, Will bless all members of your Church for your concern for souls here to-have Bible to study God's word. The Lord Will reward you all with mercy as you sow mercy.With your carrier for us to-have 24 Giant Print Bibles That so Souls Will Know God's word, YOU WILL BE BLESSED BY Surely THE LORD.

The Power That anchors us into Jesus is the wining of Souls. When you lay your head down at night, You Will Know That Accomplished the real you-have duties God Has called Expired us to do, to work together pour augmenter the Kingdom of Heaven.We are one body (Rom. 12: 4-5, 1 Cor. 12: 12,18 Eph 5:30)..
We Can not Accomplish this alone, by working together we aim `shall raise the roof of Heaven and the angels Continually keep rejoicing.

God Bless you all richly. We love you all but God loves you all Most. I hope to hear from you soon REGARDING HOW YOU WILL BLESS US WITH THESE BIBLES.

Lest I Foget, I would love you to help me with a Study Bible for my personal use. And please pray for the KIDS Orphanage in our home.We Have some KIDS we are Taking Care of.

God Bless you.
Parquet-Gogos Stephanie
Secretary

Now that I think about it, perhaps blessing them with bibles=giving them the money?

I haven't had a good spam tale for many months and this one came along this afternoon:

Dear Friend,
I am sending you this mail in good faith. I'm Rev John Williams, From Belgium currently undergoing medical treatment for cancer. I received a message from God to donate the sum of £8 Million Pounds to you for the good work of God, I have an account with a financial institution in Europe where I deposited my assets worth (£8,000,000) for a fixed period, I have just been informed by my doctor that I only have few months to live due to the cancer illness. Having known my condition that will not allow me to claim the funds personally; I have decided to nominate you as my beneficiary since the financial institution have now written me that the length of time agreed upon to hold my funds is now expired. My desire and purpose are for you to promote humanitarian works. I.e. assisting the less privileged. Please contact me for details information on this noble project of mine.
Regards,
Rev John Williams.

Spam / scam email exploiting religious themes has been around for a long time. This 2004 CNET article:

https://www.cnet.com/news/spam-gets-religion/

... illustrates the approach and the problem of some religious oriented spam not originally being treated as illegal because it wasn't geared to commercial / financial gain.

I wonder how long it will be before people recognize that their donations are mainly going to fund the extravagant lifestyles of these so called religious preachers. Probably never. An expose I read recently showed that many of the more famous characters own multiple large houses and several jets with a staff to support this lifestyle. Utterly outrageous that they are allowed to get away with it. But no doubt there will be those who will opine that people should be allowed to spend their money how they wish. Purely praying on peoples religious beliefs is the very worse type of hypocrisy.

I haven't had a good spam tale for many months and this one came along this afternoon:

Dear Friend,
I am sending you this mail in good faith. I'm Rev John Williams, From Belgium currently undergoing medical treatment for cancer. I received a message from God to donate the sum of £8 Million Pounds to you for the good work of God, I have an account with a financial institution in Europe where I deposited my assets worth (£8,000,000) for a fixed period, I have just been informed by my doctor that I only have few months to live due to the cancer illness. Having known my condition that will not allow me to claim the funds personally; I have decided to nominate you as my beneficiary since the financial institution have now written me that the length of time agreed upon to hold my funds is now expired. My desire and purpose are for you to promote humanitarian works. I.e. assisting the less privileged. Please contact me for details information on this noble project of mine.
Regards,
Rev John Williams.
Don't you just hate it when some bank tells you they can't hold onto your money for you any longer?

I wonder how long it will be before people recognize that their donations are mainly going to fund the extravagant lifestyles of these so called religious preachers. Probably never. An expose I read recently showed that many of the more famous characters own multiple large houses and several jets with a staff to support this lifestyle. Utterly outrageous that they are allowed to get away with it. But no doubt there will be those who will opine that people should be allowed to spend their money how they wish. Purely praying on peoples religious beliefs is the very worse type of hypocrisy.

If past history is anything to go by, never - nothing changed after Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Bakker, or any other evangelist was exposed as a crook. They all think they're on Billy Graham levels of respect, and to some they are. There's a song called Satellite by The Hooters all about these leeches - and it was a hit way back in 1987! As long as you have the self-cultivated appearance of piety, there will always be someone willing to look at you and think, yeah, totally on the level.

Back