• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Big Brother Is Getting Bigger

Its been on the cards a while. Ordinarily the journey tracking stuff deletes logged number plates. Hey ho, no need for RFID now :D

It's not really Big Brother though is it? I mean, what if you don't have a car...?

wow what a fantastic plan Jerry

If I start walking now I should get to work at about 10.00 am Friday

I did mention the car tracking about 6 months ago if you remember !

I can't drive anyway.

I've got a mobile phone though. I like turning it off, going somewhere else miles away, switching it back on, and then turning it back off again. If you do it enough times in enough random locations then it's bound to fuck with Big Brother's head. Mwahahahah ahahah hahaha hahaha.

You have to play their game by your rules. ;)

I have no car. I only switch my mobile phone on if I actually need it but I use an Oyster Travelcard. I walk past many CCTV cameras. I am not a terrorist.

Do I care if I'm being tracked? No - not really.

Unlike many conspiracy theorists, I can't see any government institution willing to blow vast chunks of their annual budget just to watch my hum-drum life. And if they do - so what? Like they're going to stop because I shake my fist at the local traffic camera, yelling "You rotters! You're stopping my freedom of movement!" then realising they're not.

Gotta go. There's a passenger 'plane flying overhead and I swear I can see a CIA agent training his videocamera on my keyboard as I type.

Be Seeing You.

techybloke666 said:
wow what a fantastic plan Jerry

If I start walking now I should get to work at about 10.00 am Friday

Or - *Gasp! Shock! Horror!* - use public transport instead... Either way, it's still a pretty useless way for the nefarious police state to track us all.

I did mention the car tracking about 6 months ago if you remember !

Yep, and it got picked apart as a conspiracy about Big Brother then too.

Or - *Gasp! Shock! Horror!* - use public transport instead... Either way, it's still a pretty useless way for the nefarious police state to track us all.

ooooo you must come from an area that has a public transport system

woooooooooo lucky you Jerry.

I think we're missing something here. Recently the idea for the lorry road user charging scheme was deferred for a period (until 2010 when cars will be added as well). Rather than think thinking with your tinfoil hat of conspiracy on, think in terms of wallet wide open for more taxes.

No great shakes with this system to send each car-owner a bill for the journies they've made on the motorways. :D Then the system becomes self-financing.

As has been pointed out I doubt this is a conspiracy, its more likely to be the first move to nationwide road user charging.

People already pay road tax though - and the current Labour government won't be in for another term so maybe the crazyness will end soon (although I'll be damned if I vote Conservative or for any wierd extreme parties).

Wasn't the idea to scrap road-tax and charge by usage? Wonder of hauliers and sales-reps would get bulk usage discount?

I think we're missing something here. Recently the idea for the lorry road user charging scheme was deferred for a period (until 2010 when cars will be added as well). Rather than think thinking with your tinfoil hat of conspiracy on, think in terms of wallet wide open for more taxes.

No great shakes with this system to send each car-owner a bill for the journies they've made on the motorways. Then the system becomes self-financing.

As has been pointed out I doubt this is a conspiracy, its more likely to be the first move to nationwide road user charging.

I don't disagree with you there mate :D

but also think about this.

the technology behind tracking capabilities of the GPS and RFID combination can also be used to stop any car from speeding ever in a given speed limit zone .

Therefore making cars travel safley from A to B

why don't they use this teechnology as the cameras are sold on SAFETY

the car users in this country would happier I would guess

I certainly would be.

Taxes yes
and A tax for speeding too ON ANY ROAD ANYWHERE ANYTIME

ooooooooooooooooo lots of money

Do I care if I'm being tracked? No - not really.

Some of us do, however. Why should any goverment have to right to treat its citizenship as a hive of suspected criminality? Once, it was required that the police consult the courts before deciding to place someone under surveillance. Nowadays, anyone who so much as steps outside their front door is likely to be watched.

And if anyone out there would like to raise that old 'well, if you ain't done nuffing wrong, you ain't got nuffing to hide' chestnut, please don't. Taking that argument to its logical extension, then the person raising it would presumably have no objection to the authorities poking around his or her house/bank account/medical records/credit card statements whenever they felt like it.

You say this like "They" don't already. If identity theft is being used by criminals to steal money from your accounts, then how harder is it for the authorities to use your identity for ... ahem ... "surveillance purposes".

Some of us do, however. Why should any goverment have to right to treat its citizenship as a hive of potential criminality?

I completely agree. There is no reason why someone going about their lawful business walking down the road, or using an Oyster card, or driving their car, should be constantly filmed or tracked.

The fact that we currently have a (relatively) benign government does not mean that we always will have, and allowing structures and systems to be put in place which *could* facilitate future totalitarian surveillance seems crazy to me.

You say this like "They" don't already.

Well, for what it's worth, there is the Data Protection Act. As to how much of a restriction it places upon 'not-entirely-official-activities' is another matter...

the technology behind tracking capabilities of the GPS and RFID combination can also be used to stop any car from speeding ever in a given speed limit zone .

Therefore making cars travel safley from A to B

why don't they use this teechnology as the cameras are sold on SAFETY

the car users in this country would happier I would guess

I certainly would be.

Hmmm perhaps when all cars are suitably equipped. However it would still be an infringement on civil liberties (a drivers right to speed). Don't even think about software bugs etc. :)

The best speed enforcement method I've seen were the "smiley" signs which smiled if you were within the speed limit, frowned otherwise. Far simpler and didn't need any more technology.

Quake42 said:
Some of us do, however. Why should any goverment have to right to treat its citizenship as a hive of potential criminality?

I completely agree. There is no reason why someone going about their lawful business walking down the road, or using an Oyster card, or driving their car, should be constantly filmed or tracked.

The fact that we currently have a (relatively) benign government does not mean that we always will have, and allowing structures and systems to be put in place which *could* facilitate future totalitarian surveillance seems crazy to me.

We don't have Oyster cards up here but I heard something on the radio this morning that prompted me to have a look at them. I'm a bit perturbed that non-Oyster users will be charged more for travel. I find it appalling that you have to pay for the freedom of not having your travelling monitored.

The reason Oyster users are charged less is to encourage take-up. When everyone has an Oyster thay can sack the ticket office staff. Then they will put the prices up.

Mike_Pratt33 said:
The reason Oyster users are charged less is to encourage take-up. When everyone has an Oyster thay can sack the ticket office staff. Then they will put the prices up.

I'll agree with all of that but I don't think they're the only reasons.

Or how about this for those of paranoid or suspicous nature.

Music industry tries to hijack serious crime legislation in Europe
Filed under: Data Retention, Copyright, Intellectual Property — Suw Charman @ 8:52 am

When the UK Presidency suggested to the EU that telecoms service providers and ISPs should be forced to retain information about the telephone calls you make and the sites you visit, they stated that it was an essential “balance” struck between liberty and security: a grave compromise necessitated by the threat of terrorism and serious crime.

We don’t remember them mentioning “and might help the recording industry fish for file-sharing networks, DRM workarounds, and spurious patent infringers”.

The newly-formed Creative and Media Business Alliance (CMBA), made up of companies such as Sony BMG, Disney, EMI, IFPI, MPA and Universal Music International, this week expressed an interest in communications traffic data so that they can more easily prosecute “intellectual property infringements”.

Thanks to a combination of two fast-tracked EU directives, they may just get their wish: and allow a UK plan to limit civil liberties to turn into a privacy-invading free-for-all by the entertainment lobby.

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2005...o-hijack-serious-crime-legislation-in-europe/

did anyone post this before ?

[/quote]

The UK Police are building a network to monitor the movement of every vehicle in the U.K. through an extensive Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system. The data will be retained for 2 years. The Register further reports that the system will likely be used for issuing speeding fines." From the article: "The primary aims claimed for the system are tackling untaxed and uninsured vehicles, stolen cars and the considerably broader one of 'denying criminals the use of the roads.' But unless the Times has got the spacing wrong, having one every quarter of a mile on motorways quite clearly means they'll be used to enforce speed limits as well, which would effectively make the current generation of Gatsos obsolete. Otherwise, checking a vehicle's tax and insurance status every 15 seconds or thereabouts would seem overkill."

[/quote]

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/15/2159244

Possibly bigger brother or rampant paranoia

As if spotty teenagers releasing computer viruses on to the internet from darkened rooms were not enough of a headache. According to a scientific report, planet Earth's computers are wide open to a virus attack from Little Green Men.

The concern is raised in the next issue of the journal Acta Astronautica by Richard Carrigan, a particle physicist at the US Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Illinois. He believes scientists searching the heavens for signals from extra-terrestrial civilisations are putting Earth's security at risk, by distributing the jumble of signals they receive to computers all over the world.

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,16559,1650296,00.html

Quote:
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

is that some sort of Anagram ?

Uh, no. It was a pretty poor example of wit, pertaining to the previous post about aliens hijacking the computer networks.

'All Your Base Are Belong To Us' has come to be a classic example of 'Engrish' - that is, poorly translated Japanese. Ages ago there was this video game - can't remember what it was called, except that it quite naturally came from Japan - and when the player was inevitably killed by the virtual extraterrestrials, up came the phrase. So...alien invasions...computers...get the picture?

Okay, okay. I'll keep taking the pills.

Back