• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Big Fish (Caught By Fishermen)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
FMNojBzWUAUbYUt.png

The Biggest Fish Caught in Greece in Recent Memory​

ByTasos Kokkinidis
February 22, 2022

A gigantic tuna fish weighing more than 400 kilos (880 pounds) was caught by a fisherman in Greece on Monday in what has been described as “the catch of the decade.”

The three-meter (10 foot) long fish was caught off the town of Kyllini, on the Peloponnese by Costas Hatzipapas.

From Greece, the fish will be transported to Japan​

He told public television ERT that the tuna will be sold in Japan where there is a great demand for the fish.

In recent years, opening day fish auctions at Tokyo’s Tsukiji fish market and Toyosu Market have seen record-setting prices for tuna, reflecting market demand.
Until Monday one of the largest tuna fish caught in Greece was in 2019 when a group of fishermen on the island of Naxos caught a fish which weighed 288 kilos (636 pounds) and measured 2.74 meters (9.13 feet) long.

Full Article:
https://greekreporter.com/2022/02/22/biggest-fish-caught-greece/

It must be noted, that this is not remotely near the record for a tuna, which stands at a 1,496lbs:

bluefin-tuna-world-record_mar1116_bac_1-1.jpg

Story here:
https://www.marlinmag.com/bluefin-tuna-record-revisiting-history/

Tuna are becoming more common around our coasts arent they?

I had a photo in a old book about Fleetwood stupidly I lent it to a museum and
it disappeared, but in this photo it showed inside the fish auctions on the dock,
there were fish lined up you could see about 30 or so with workers standing on
top of them the were at least twice the length of the workers, I seem to remember
they were Hake but could be wrong in this, I suppose they are swept up by big
trawlers now long before they reach this size.
I believe the last of these was sold to Japan not that long ago having been in cold
storage for the best part of 100 years.

:omr:

"Lord. give me grace to catch a fish so big, that even I,
when telling of it afterwards, may never have to lie".

That guy did.

Tuna fishing in… wait for it…. Scarborough.
1645567528659.jpeg

"SCARBOROUGH TUNA 1930'S"
With herring in abundance this was the norm in the early 1900s but as the north sea was stripped of herring and used for fertiliser for the agricultural industry the Tuna left also.

I think I once saw it mentioned that Hollywood stars like John Wayne and Errol Flynn came to Scarborough for the sport.

Looks like Britain’s Tallest Woman turned up on the right there.

There are some giants to the left as well, just behind the fish! :D

I hope the fact that a gigantic tuna was fished out of the Mediterranean means the water is healthier to live in now.

Giant 900lb tuna biggest fish caught in Welsh waters

During the hour-long struggle, he passed the rod to Mr Nott, from Cwmaman, Rhondda Cynon Taf, while working with skipper Andrew Alsop.

It was measured from the nose to the fork of the tail while a globally recognised formula then gives an approximate weight.

"By far it's the biggest fish caught in Welsh waters. The previous biggest was around 600lbs," said Julian Lewis Jones, patron of Angling Cymru.
"It's no mean feat to catch a fish of this size, at that length it's the same size as a big shark.

"They are immensely powerful and not something any novices could even try, so it had to be a team effort.”

The fish was brought alongside the boat to be measured and then towed to ensure a regular supply of oxygen to the gills before being released.

"It's very exciting that a fish of this size has been caught in Welsh waters. We now have some of the biggest tuna in the world swimming in our waters," he added.
1665439734499.png

Short video at link.

There's a small fishery developing off the Western UK for tuna, very strickly (self) regulated, all catch and release and fish tagged.
Quite a few shoals are now regularly off the West coast and even in the English Channel. Vids of the on youtube. Allways a good sign when top predators return. Now if we could just our cod back in the Channel, that would be great.

Angler lands one of world’s largest goldfish in French lake

Goldfish are normally big enough to live in a bowl in people’s homes, happily whiling the hours away, scarcely taking up enough room to cause any trouble.

However, angler Andy Hackett managed to catch a much bigger version of the fairground prize favourite when he landed one of the world’s largest weighing more than 30kg (67 pounds, or five stone).
The elusive fish, known as the Carrot after its orange colour, was landed at Bluewater Lakes in Champagne, France. It was put into the lake 20 years ago, and has proved to be a slippery customer ever since.

Hackett, from Kidderminster in Worcestershire, spent 25 minutes bringing the fish in

It is a hybrid species of a leather carp and koi, and is thought to be the second largest of its type ever caught.

The 42-year-old said: “I always knew the Carrot was in there but never thought I would catch it.

“I knew it was a big fish when it took my bait and went offside to side and up and down with it. Then it came to the surface 30 or 40 yards out and I saw that it was orange.

“It was brilliant to catch it but it was also sheer luck.”

He posed for a photos afterwards before releasing it back into the water.

The fishery manager, Jason Cowler, said: “We put the Carrot in about 20 years ago as something different for the customers to fish for. Since then it has grown and grown but it doesn’t often come out. She is very elusive.”
1669075369601.png

This is a pampered pet, used to part Carp Fishers (Strange folk...) from their money.

How about a horror where a named Carp grows bigger and bigger and starts eating ducks, dogs and children...and the fisher folk worship it and indulge it in its eating habits?

I'm thinking of a horror film involving giant goldfish. Flushed down the toilet they grow and terrorise sewer workers.

lmagine no longer:

Kidderminster man catches giant goldfish.

_127733723_313922769_629866402258947_3561813142346377584_n.jpg

"You're gonna need a bigger bowl," was everyone's first thought, quickly followed by whether there were scales large enough to weigh scaly Carrot.

But a weigh-in was achieved, with this beauty's vital statistic being a whopping 30kg (67 pounds).

And yet there was no need for a mountain of potatoes for chips - The Carrot was released back from whence he came to leave another angler with a chance of a fishy tale.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-63707394

maximus otter

Last edited by a moderator:
Tuna fishing in… wait for it…. Scarborough.
View attachment 52353

I think I once saw it mentioned that Hollywood stars like John Wayne and Errol Flynn came to Scarborough for the sport.

Looks like Britain’s Tallest Woman turned up on the right there.
The Scarborough fishing club was called the Tunny club and, as you say, had many illustrious members. The old club house is now a fish and chip restaurant which has many interesting bits of memorabilia. Excellent fish n taty too!

Angler lands one of world’s largest goldfish in French lake

Goldfish are normally big enough to live in a bowl in people’s homes, happily whiling the hours away, scarcely taking up enough room to cause any trouble.

However, angler Andy Hackett managed to catch a much bigger version of the fairground prize favourite when he landed one of the world’s largest weighing more than 30kg (67 pounds, or five stone).

View attachment 60972

lmagine no longer:

Kidderminster man catches giant goldfish.

"You're gonna need a bigger bowl," was everyone's first thought, quickly followed by whether there were scales large enough to weigh scaly Carrot.

But a weigh-in was achieved, with this beauty's vital statistic being a whopping 30kg (67 pounds).

And yet there was no need for a mountain of potatoes for chips - The Carrot was released back from whence he came to leave another angler with a chance of a fishy tale.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-63707394

maximus otter

It's Mr. Tickles! (Relevant sequence at 3:50 if you don't want to watch the whole thing.)

Back