• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Next up, state funded colleges not allowed to read fiction in English classes.

I can't really see much to complain about there. I don't think you can compare reading or studying fiction to searching for a probably mythical thing. To take it to an extreme, should they be able to get college funding to look for Atlantis for example?

The name 'Dyer' is an unfortunate one to have in this context.

Do we actually know though whether this was some sort of legitimate scientific exercise that only referenced bigfoot as a joke? There have been a few legit papers published in mainstream journals which have light heartedly included bigfoot in their titles. Maybe it was just that?

According to the report it included:

a two-day, on-campus Bigfoot conference. After the conference, Dr. Dyer led a university-funded expedition to find Bigfoot in the Sandia Mountains. They didn’t find him.

I can't really see much to complain about there. I don't think you can compare reading or studying fiction to searching for a probably mythical thing. To take it to an extreme, should they be able to get college funding to look for Atlantis for example?
Searching for Atlantis would presumably involve the same skillset as other underwater exploration / oceanography. It's not about searching for something that probably doesn't exist per se, it's that the skillset being learned to do so is applicable elsewhere. Studying the text of Hamlet teaches one how to study text, despite Hamlet not being real.

Searching for Atlantis would presumably involve the same skillset as other underwater exploration / oceanography. It's not about searching for something that probably doesn't exist per se, it's that the skillset being learned to do so is applicable elsewhere. Studying the text of Hamlet teaches one how to study text, despite Hamlet not being real.

Yes but it's the money that seems to be the issue, not skillset. Studying Hamlet is cheap. Excursions looking for bigfoot & 2 day conferences on the other hand..

Now if they'd gone on a trip to the mountains to show students how to track down and study elusive wildlife, with a bit of "And this is how Bigfoot hunters do it" on the side, maybe add a few serious lectures on cryptozoology and the scientific method, they could have got away with it.

They can get round this by claiming to be looking for more conventional wildlife.
Once approved, mission creep sets in. :twisted:

Sasquatch covered in marijuana leaves spotted during live report about snow storm

A reporter in Massachusetts has quite the story to tell after Sasquatch was spotted while she was doing a live report about the snow storm Thursday.

In the corner of the screen, viewers could see the mythical creature creeping into the reporter's shot.

http://abc13.com/1747730/
Potsquatch.

A new bill seeks to designate Sasquatch as the “official cryptid” of Washington state.
A cryptid is defined by Oxford dictionary as an “animal whose existence or survival is disputed or unsubstantiated.”

The bill, sponsored by Republican Sen. Ann Rivers of La Center, was introduced this week.

The measure says that Sasquatch – also known as Bigfoot or Forest Yeti – has “made immeasurable contributions to Washington state’s cultural heritage and ecosystem.”

http://koin.com/2017/02/14/bill-would-make-sasquatch-official-cryptid-of-washington/

http://www.kivitv.com/news/idaho-woman-blames-bigfoot-for-crashing

----------------------------------------------
MOSCOW, Idaho - An Idaho woman claimed her Wednesday crash into a deer on Highway 95 caused by Bigfoot.

According to Pullman radio, the 50-year old woman from Tensed, Idaho told the Latah County Sheriff's Office she saw a sasquatch chasing some deer along the road. When she looked into her rearview mirror to see the creature, she hit a doe that ran in front of her car.

She said the Bigfoot was about seven to eight feet tall.

A Latah County Sheriff's deputy responded and found evidence of the crash.

According to Pullman radio, "the report didn't indicate if he found any evidence of the elusive Bigfoot."

Idaho Bigfoot Researcher Finds Car Crash Victim's Story Credible

Dr Jeff Meldrum, an avid Bigfoot researcher and professor of anatomy and anthropology at Idaho State University, came forward recently to state that he feels a local Idaho woman's sighting of Bigfoot may be legitimate. The 50-year-old Tensed woman was driving south on US Hwy 95 a week ago, when she struck a deer after reportedly being distracted by a Bigfoot chasing the startled animal.

Dr Meldrum has not yet interviewed the accident victim, but noted there are several qualities to her experience that make it particularly compelling; including the seriousness and sobriety of the witness, the time of year and location of the sighting, and the mobility of the suspected Sasquatch. ...

More at:

SOURCE: http://www.singularfortean.com/news...archer-finds-car-crash-victims-story-credible

No wonder she was tensed, seeing that. But this does imply Bigfoot is a meat eater if it wanted to catch a deer, doesn't it? I always thought it was herbivorous? Any reports of Bigfoot eating other animals? A Bigfoot barbecue, maybe?

No wonder she was tensed, seeing that. ...

Forgive me if I'm stepping on an intended jest, but ...

Just for the record - Tensed, Idaho is the witness's home town.

Yeah, just me having fun. I'm serious about asking if Bigfoot is a carnivore, though, that would be worrying. Maybe all those missing hikers have been devoured by the apeman, if that's accurate?

No wonder she was tensed, seeing that. But this does imply Bigfoot is a meat eater if it wanted to catch a deer, doesn't it? I always thought it was herbivorous? Any reports of Bigfoot eating other animals? A Bigfoot barbecue, maybe?

Yeah, plenty of reports of bigfoot eating other animals. I think it's usually ground squirrels, but other reports have featured deer etc. If bigfoot were a real animal then this'd be exactly what you'd expect. I don't think there are any 100% veggies in nature. Even sheep and deer turn to carnivory when the mood takes them. Great apes more so.

Yeah, just me having fun. I'm serious about asking if Bigfoot is a carnivore, though, that would be worrying. Maybe all those missing hikers have been devoured by the apeman, if that's accurate?

Probably an opportunistic hunter and scavenger. Not a primary predator.
If an animal stumbles across his path he may grab it. Won't chase anything down or lay in ambush.

'This thing was not a bear': Hunt for Bigfoot underway in Pennsylvania

Is Sasquatch hiding out in the woods of western Pennsylvania?

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, a team of hunters from northern California seems to think so.

It all started when a couple from Crawford County in Pennsylvania contacted the "godfather" of all Bigfoot hunters to take a look at their property after finding what they believed to be mysterious footprints.

Keith and Robin Morgan live in a rural area of the county, where they say they saw a large, bizarre-looking creature walking across their farm covered in black fur last year.

Claiming to have seen a creature far more massive than a bear, the couple called in the help of Carmine Biscardi, or "The Godfather of Bigfoot," as he identifies himself.

Biscardi, who has spent 50 years of his life searching for the legendary creature, reviewed the couple's initial reports and visited the area earlier this week to conduct a more in-depth investigation.

"Me and the team are responding [sic]. We are going to be checking the whole area out. We got a lot of property to look at," Biscardi's son, T.J. Biscardi, told KDKA. "This is one of the pens where the creature was actually...they had to move the hogs out of here because something was coming in, climbing over the fence, killing the hogs and taking them out."

The team, which consists of three generations of Biscardi men, is using thermal-image camera and setting up bait to hopefully get concrete proof that Bigfoot exists once and for all.

"I want the reality to be seen as we see it. So, if we see it in real time as he records it, the whole world will get to see it in real time. So, it's not just stories. It's called reality," the senior Biscardi told reporters.

To capture the creature, the family says they're suspending peanut butter and sardines from high up in tree, at a height that is allegedly within their target's height.

The Biscardis reportedly follow up on nearly 30 tips and reports a day to get closer to finding Bigfoot. They're also offering $1 million to anyone with information leading to its capture.

SOURCE: https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...or-bigfoot-underway-in-pennsylvania/23004537/

SEE ALSO: More extensive article from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/r...-Bigfoot-Crawford-County/stories/201706260146

This new documentary was posted online a few days ago .. I haven't watched it yet so sorry if it's shit ..

Bigfoot sighting in North Carolina. I've never heard of glow-sticks being used to attract Bigfoot before.

NC group reports Bigfoot sighting over the weekend northwest of Charlotte
BY MARK PRICE

AUGUST 07, 2017 6:57 AM

A “large bipedal animal covered in hair” was reported in North Carolina’s McDowell County over the weekend.

In other words, a Bigfoot: The ape-like creature that cryptozoologists believe roams the nation’s backwoods.

The sighting happened just before 11 p.m. Friday in a forested area. No one was injured, though the group reports something threw rocks at them as they left the area. McDowell County is about 100 miles northwest of Charlotte.

John Bruner of the Marion-based group Bigfoot 911 reported the event on the group’s Facebook page Saturday. Bigfoot 911 is one of a handful of groups around the country that investigate reports of Bigfoot sightings, mostly in places average people don’t go at night.

Bruner says a team of seven people were out at the time, scattering glow sticks in the woods. (Bigfoot 911 members believe glow sticks pique the curiosity of a Bigfoot.) It was the sight of one of those glow sticks moving through the woods that got Bruner’s attention.

etc

http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article165801402.html

Bigfoot sighting in North Carolina. I've never heard of glow-sticks being used to attract Bigfoot before.

the group reports something threw rocks at them as they left the area.
It was Trump. oopsy :sombrero:

Wandering Shaman 'mistaken for Bigfoot'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40892336

A self-described shaman says a strange creature reportedly spotted in the hills of North Carolina last week was actually him dressed in animal skins.
The "Bigfoot" sighting happened last Friday in the Appalachian mountains, but the story took an even weirder twist with a mistaken identity claim.
Gawain MacGregor says it was him wandering through the forest on the night in question, 4 August.
But a local group claims the cryptid they saw could not have been him.

So this bloke is wearing a 'shaman' costume that looks exactly like a Bigfoot? Intended to deceive, more like.

Back