Bigfoot / Sasquatch In North America

Wreckless

Devoted Cultist
First-ever Smoky Mountain Big Foot Conference set for July

GATLINBURG, Tenn. (WATE) - The first-ever Smoky Mountain Bigfoot Conference set for later this year.

Several speakers all under one roof will talk all things Bigfoot. The event is headlined by Cliff Barackman from the Animal Planet show 'Finding Bigfoot'.

The event will be Saturday, July 27 from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. at the Gatlinburg Convention Center.

Tickets start at $25 dollars.

Visit gatherupevents.com/smoky-mountain-bigfoot-conference for more information.

https://www.wjhl.com/top-news/regio...rce=facebook_WJHL&fbclid=IwAR3aI0nqZzScWE27Jc

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Western Pennsylvania has several Bigfoot events. It is a culturally “Trumpian” place outside of Pittsburgh, so it is unsurprising that the Bigfoot Research Project there sees no issue mixing UFOs in with Bigfoot and inviting outwardly racist John Ventre of MUFON. This is why cryptozoology can’t have nice things. https://www.heraldstandard.com/new_...cle_95f12aae-392b-11e9-b189-a754c07c2dba.html
We're interested in Bigfoot, but not "Trumpian" labels.

Links between racism and Fortean pursuits could well be interesting, but we needn't tie them to the current resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

It will only provoke a non-Fortean argument when one of 63,000,000 Americans posts here to tell you that you're wrong.

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
We're interested in Bigfoot, but not "Trumpian" labels.

Links between racism and Fortean pursuits could well be interesting, but we needn't tie them to the current resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

It will only provoke a non-Fortean argument when one of 63,000,000 Americans posts here to tell you that you're wrong.
It's important to pay attention to the cultural and social aspects of paranormal beliefs. One misses the big picture if the reasons for involvement and the motivation for belief is ignored and we can certainly tie in the current anti-authority wave in American society to politics and fringe beliefs, epitomized by the conspiracy-commander in chief.

In this case, it is important to note not only the divide between biological Bigfoot and the paranormal view, but to recognize that the UFO community in the US has a distinct thread of white supremacy. Since this is a BIgfoot in North America thread, I felt it appropriate to comment on the American Bigfoot scene which has some scary undertones that prevent me from taking part in their outreach events. Note that I am only speaking from the American POV but it's not an uninformed one.

That said, if these aspects are not welcome over the phenomenology, I will refrain from pointing those out. Dog knows I would not want to waste my time arguing politics.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
It's important to pay attention to the cultural and social aspects of paranormal beliefs. One misses the big picture if the reasons for involvement and the motivation for belief is ignored and we can certainly tie in the current anti-authority wave in American society to politics and fringe beliefs, epitomized by the conspiracy-commander in chief.

In this case, it is important to note not only the divide between biological Bigfoot and the paranormal view, but to recognize that the UFO community in the US has a distinct thread of white supremacy. Since this is a BIgfoot in North America thread, I felt it appropriate to comment on the American Bigfoot scene which has some scary undertones that prevent me from taking part in their outreach events. Note that I am only speaking from the American POV but it's not an uninformed one.

That said, if these aspects are not welcome over the phenomenology, I will refrain from pointing those out. Dog knows I would not want to waste my time arguing politics.
All that is genuinely welcome and interesting, but we know from bitter experience here that it is almost always unproductive to name/include serving politicians.

dr wu

Doctor Prog
This is an open question to those who support the existence of 'Bigfoot'.
Why after all this time has no one ever found a Bigfoot carcass on a road , in the woods, anywhere, or any specific physical material ?
One would think that even an 'intelligent' animal would have made a mistake or something and we would have found a body by now.

ps: I'm more or less agnostic on the existence of said creature.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
This is an open question to those who support the existence of 'Bigfoot'.
Why after all this time has no one ever found a Bigfoot carcass on a road , in the woods, anywhere, or any specific physical material ?
One would think that even an 'intelligent' animal would have made a mistake or something and we would have found a body by now. ...
The only roadkill 'Bigfoot' I can recall was the Montana hoaxer who was hit by 2 cars in 2012.

https://www.cnn.com/2012/08/28/us/montana-big-foot-accident/index.html
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...lled-on-montana-highway-idUSBRE87R1B620120828

Then there's the driver who hit a deer in 2017 and claimed the animal had been chased onto the road by a Bigfoot.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/idaho-driver-blames-bigfoot_us_58d887dae4b03787d359ad1b
https://abc13.com/news/woman-claims-bigfoot-caused-her-crash/1819738/

Then there's this November 2018 report from Australia, where a truck driver claimed he barely avoided running over a Yowie on the road.

https://www.singularfortean.com/new...the-worst-thing-that-has-ever-happened-to-him

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Why after all this time has no one ever found a Bigfoot carcass on a road , in the woods, anywhere...
If they exist, they are rare creatures. I would cite the example of pine martens in the UK: there is a significant population of them, but how many people have ever seen a roadkill pine marten?

Amplifying, animals die in huge numbers every day in the UK, both from RTAs (among other causes), and from old age and disease. Nature’s cleanup crew, however, is extremely efficient.

l recently had to process a deer carcase in the exact location where l had to deal with one only a couple of weeks previously. Had l not known of the recent incident, l would never have known that a large-ish creature had been reduced to kit form there: not a trace remained.

maximus otter

titch

Justified & Ancient
But there are pictures of pine martens, I have seen stuffed ones in museums and uncontroversial film of them, how long do we go without any of that before we say bigfoot doesn't exist?

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
I've seen a roadkill pine marten, and a fair way west of where they've been documented.

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient
We do have various sightings of chimps and whales continuing to care (bring food to, groom etc) for dead newborns until the parent gives up.

SkepticalX

Devoted Cultist
Not sure if it was Keel who first proposed that Bigfoot could be a inter-dimensional creature that only occasionally moves through our time-space. Since the nature of a multiverse is unknown, one could speculate that, when a Bigfoot dies, it reverts back to its native dimension, thus leaving no trace in our reality.

Cochise

Antediluvian
Not sure if it was Keel who first proposed that Bigfoot could be a inter-dimensional creature that only occasionally moves through our time-space. Since the nature of a multiverse is unknown, one could speculate that, when a Bigfoot dies, it reverts back to its native dimension, thus leaving no trace in our reality.
That kind of sounds like the plot of the Long Earth series.

Vardoger

Like To Roam The Land
Bigfoot in Quebec or Yeti in Russia supposedly ripping up trees in the distance. You can't really see the creature. There are conflicting versions on the net. One says it's a Russian Bigfoot. Comments on one of the videos showing this says it's filmed in Quebec because they can recognize the native american language, which might be right since there is some English spoken in there as well.

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
There are rare claims of relic hominins killing people. I wrote an article on it once. Some of the stories in the Missing 411 books are spookily suggestive. I'm doubtful of most conspiracies (though i do think there is and was a UK cover up of tory mps buggering and killing kids) the 411 stuff gives me pause for thought. Anonymous stories are never much use as evidence but i present this for you perusal.

Razumov

zermatism.wordpress.com
There are rare claims of relic hominins killing people.
Boris Porshnev believed the Troglodyte was a cannibal species that ate humans. Most of his theories have never been translated into english.

It has definitely been established that human ancestors were cannibals.

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
Boris Porshnev believed the Troglodyte was a cannibal species that ate humans. Most of his theories have never been translated into english.

His book on relic hominins is being reprinted and translated by CFZ Press.

Icelandic folk tales feature cave dwelling cannibals and they have (possibly 'reading in' but still) a distinctly Neanderthal feel to them.