Justified & Ancient
- May 30, 2009
- Reaction score
The author of that piece, Colin Dickey, has a new book out TODAY.Smithsonian article on wildmen. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...MovCoOUo18Ati6h6oUncYpWN3prIyBILhXL4n2w-mi3_U
Ghostland is on my absurdly large to read list.The author of that piece, Colin Dickey, has a new book out TODAY.
I have it sitting on my Kindle right now. His Ghostland book was outstanding.
The ad above it has a 'movie' phone number beginning with 555.The tag Safety Not Guaranteed is based on a joke classified ad. It might have been mentioned elsewhere on this site, but I don't see it. Here is a link to one article online:
Do you have an image / photo app that would allow you to make a copy of the photo and reduce it in size? (Tip: Don't mess with the original ... )Also, how do I reduce the file size so I can post the photo? JPEG and GIF are both 13 MB. Help, please!
How was the weather beforehand? You describe the ground as semi frozen and you barely made a mark yourself, was the weather such that the prints may have been made earlier and then the ground froze to preserve them?Hi Guys –
This is my first on-topic post. If this is in the wrong discussion or needs its own, please moderators move it. (and hey moderators, what’s up with the fresh blood label for new folks ?!?)
I took a photo of what appears to be a naked footprint in an unlikely place, and wish to share it with you.
Comments, please. … and ruminations on the current philosophy of science which makes these types of prints so problematic.
- My predispositional biases in the matter. Years ago, I was persuaded by bio-mechanical analyses of Patty (and other types of evidence and analysis, but Patty did it for me) that sasquatches (yeti, wildmen, primitive hominids, etc.) are real and currently exist, despite the conclusions of mainstream science and despite the media charlatans and lunatic fringe of every stripe. So, when my husband and I would go out into the woods, we would keep an eye out for evidence. Despite all this, I never have seen a sasquatch, but have seen very puzzling disruption of the vegetation in California and in Indiana which I could not interpret more conventionally.
- Context of the footprint. My husband and I were driving on Arizona state road 89A at 4:30 pm on January 3, 2019. This is in Northern Arizona, and it was pretty cold – about 35degrees farenheit and the wind was blowing. Earlier in the day, it had gotten up to about 40 degrees. The weather was overcast but not raining. This is a very remote and deserted part of the landscape, especially in the dead of winter. The exact location, alas! I can’t recall, but it was probably no more than 2 miles from Marble Canyon (google map geocoordinates 36.8180 – 111.6237). This is close to Lee’s Ferry on the Colorado River. I have reconstructed this best guess based on the photos preceeding and following the photo of the mystery footprint. I would occasionally stop the car to take touristo photos of the landscape and sky. Sasquatch was the last thing on my mind.
- I stopped the car, and walked about 100 feet off the road up the beginning of a small canyon in between a lot of big rocks (70 feet high). The ground slanted up at a pretty steep angle; maybe 30 degrees. The terrain was a mixture of sharp shale rocks and bigger rocks and pebbles. Very little vegetation. The ground was semifrozen and pretty hard. Not soft or slushy at all. I noticed a track of very indistinct impressions in a line, disappearing up the side of a cliff. They were about 3 feet apart from each other. I took a closer look and saw that one of them was, astoundingly, a footprint of a naked human foot. This was the only impression in the line of prints which appeared to be a clear footprint. It was located on the steep side of a small mound in the ground. I was the only person to see this. My husband is disabled and not capable of walking on uneven ground.
- Description of the footprint. My hiking boot, for comparison, is 4 x 11 inches wide x long, measured on the sole. The footprint was slightly bigger. It pressed down into the soil about 1 – 1 ¼ inches. I weigh 130 pounds, and jumping up and down as hard as I could, I could make no impression on the soil at all. I knelt down to get a closer look and could make out the 5 individual toe prints, and that the soil had been pushed back from the toes as the person (?) pushed off the toes in a forward motion while moving at speed. The toes and heel part of the impression were separated by a shallower, less distinct impression. I could trace the tracks up the side of the canyon, but lost it as the steep angle of the ground made it impossible to follow.
- What is it? Well, first of all, WTF?!? I find it hard to believe that any human being, even after a lifetime of walking barefoot, could have run on those sharp and uneven rocks. I think that a person wearing sasquatch shoes in an effort to fool someone could not have made those distinct individual toes with the soil pushed back from them. The location, in the winter in the middle of nowhere, seems an unlikely spot to stage a hoax. So, what was it?
Also, how do I reduce the file size so I can post the photo? JPEG and GIF are both 13 MB. Help, please!
Endlessly Amazed AKA Deb
I imagine everyone in this forum would like to feel able to believe that Bigfoot exists, but the evidence is not there.One argument against Bigfoot is where are the bones from all along the presumed migration path from asia over the land bridge down into the Pacific Northwest.
Yeah and that sort of fuels the otherwordly aspect of Bigfoot and Dogmen. Even if 90% are misidentification of bears what are the other 10% seeing?I imagine everyone in this forum would like to feel able to believe that Bigfoot exists, but the evidence is not there.
All of the various "relict hominids" or "apemen" (Sasquatch, Yeti, etc.) are different. The existence or otherwise of one "species" does not prove or disprove the existence of another. However, they all present the same basic challenges to someone who would like to believe on the basis of evidence.
All or most human and ape species are/were social creatures rather than loners. As individuals and as groups, they need to eat, drink, sleep, defecate, meet, breed, raise their young, and eventually die. Each of these things would create and leave some evidence, particularly as there are people out there actively looking for them, and almost everyone carries a powerful movie/still camera with them these days.
Where are the remains of the food, the sightings and numerous footprints near to water sources, spoor, nests or shelters, meeting places marked by footprints and the like, sightings of them with their young, and their bones, teeth or fossils? There should be some, and there should be some clear photos and reliable video evidence by now. Sadly, I see none. A few blurred photos and shaky films, some of questionable provenance.
We have photos and film of giant squid, and of coelacanths in their natural environment, but little or nothing to compare when it comes to a large species said to live on land.
The absence of evidence that ought to be available is a form of evidence in itself.
von Däniken's principle: If we exclude 90% as misidentification, and 90% of what's left as hoaxes, that still leaves 1% unexplained. Look how reasonable we've been excluding 99% of our cases. But if the 1% left over are genuinely anomalous, then how many of the other 99% are anomalous, after all, and not misidentifications or hoaxes? Mein Gott! They are everywhere!Yeah and that sort of fuels the otherwordly aspect of Bigfoot and Dogmen. Even if 90% are misidentification of bears what are the other 10% seeing?
It's a good point, but most bones disintegrate fairly quickly. It's very rare for them to become fossilised or remain preserved on the surface.One argument against Bigfoot is where are the bones from all along the presumed migration path from asia over the land bridge down into the Pacific Northwest.