• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A North Carolina Sasquatch witness is highly disturbed by his sighting. He seems genuinely upset.

Bigfoot Sighting Rattles Witness

A North Carolina man was left visibly shaken last week following what he says was an encounter with Bigfoot. According to a local media report, the unnerving incident occurred this past Friday afternoon in the community of Littleton as Jesse Walker was taking out his trash. When he looked towards a wooded area nearby, the witness says, he was stunned to see a bipedal creature covered in shaggy black fur. The approximately six-foot-tall beast appeared to be hunched over, Walker recalls, and "he had the biggest feet I had ever seen in my entire life."
https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/watch-bigfoot-sighting-rattles-witness

Not the first place to discuss or enact such a thing:

California County Debates Resolution to Protect Bigfoot

In a bizarre bit of local politics, the supervisors of a county in California recently had a lengthy debate over whether or not to pass a resolution that would punish any individuals who purposely kill a Bigfoot. The strange matter came up during an otherwise routine meeting of the Trinity County Board of Supervisors last week. Alongside mundane governmental issues such as increasing the animal control budget and awarding a liquor license to an area restaurant was an eyebrow-raising proposal aimed at protecting Sasquatch.
Source: https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/video-california-county-debates-resolution-to-protect-bigfoot

Not the first place to discuss or enact such a thing:
California County Debates Resolution to Protect Bigfoot
Source: https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/video-california-county-debates-resolution-to-protect-bigfoot

I wonder if there are any laws on the books about killing or harming any primates other than humans? There aren't any (proven) native such species in the United States, but perhaps states have passed laws to protect zoo animals.
And on that subject, has anyone considered whether a captured Bigfoot could or should be kept in a zoo? I suppose that would depend on their established level of intelligence once one can be properly tested.

I wonder if there are any laws on the books about killing or harming any primates other than humans? There aren't any (proven) native such species in the United States, but perhaps states have passed laws to protect zoo animals.
And on that subject, has anyone considered whether a captured Bigfoot could or should be kept in a zoo? I suppose that would depend on their established level of intelligence once one can be properly tested.
Until we have solid evidence that such creatures even exist, how can we pass any laws? If our lawmakers want to pass such a law, the first need to come clean about what they know, otherwise, we need physical evidence of their existence, and that means bagging at least one sasquatch. I am more than happy to pass laws protecting them provided they are proven to exist first, otherwise we are denying ourselves the ability to even bring in physical evidence, and that sounds like a conspiracy if I ever heard one.

On other matters, I am interested to see what new bigfoot evidence will be presented now that plenty of preppers have been hiding out in the wilds to wait out c-19. That will be interesting.

NASA has a section devoted to planetary protection. Part of their role is to ensure that Earth life does not reach other worlds, and life on other worlds does not reach Earth unless completely isolated. We have no proof that there is any life elsewhere in our planetary system, yet we plan ahead just in case.
It is possible there are sasquatches out there. If so, they are rare and should be protected; we as a species have wiped out thousands of species, and this one is likely a human relative closer than even the other great aps. It harms no one to pass a law stating they should not be harmed, and killing one is not necessary to prove their existence.

Re the county in California's deliberations concerning Bigfoot-protection; hasn't there been for a good many years, an ordinance actually in place in Skamania County (and perhaps a couple of others), in Washington State, making it an offence to kill or harm a Bigfoot?

Re the county in California's deliberations concerning Bigfoot-protection; hasn't there been for a good many years, an ordinance actually in place in Skamania County (and perhaps a couple of others), in Washington State, making it an offence to kill or harm a Bigfoot?

Yes ...
No Sasquatch Slaying in Washington

Skamania County, Washington, considers itself a Bigfoot refuge, and a 1984 ordinance states that killing this “endangered” ape-like creature can get you a year in jail, a $1,000 fine or both.
SOURCE: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/09/weird-laws-nation-dogs-ferrets-bigfoot/

As of the time this 2014 conference paper was written there were 2 Washington counties with Bigfoot-related ordinances in force.
Bigfoot fervor also resulted in two Sasquatch preservation laws: the 1969 Skamania County Ordinance no. 6901, later amended in 1984, and the 1991 Whatcom County Resolution No. 92043. Each law purports to protect a creature that, if it does exist, is obviously endangered. The laws have a secondary purpose of protecting unsuspecting wilderness seekers from Bigfoot hunters, on their own the laws seem superfluous but they fit into a larger narrative about wilderness conservation and preservation in Washington state.
SOURCE:
Joan Ilacqua
HGSA Conference Paper
Sasquatch and the Law: The Implications of Bigfoot Preservation Laws in Washington State
(Presumably dating from 2014)

https://scholarworks.umb.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1079&context=ghc

Last edited:
Here are some additional fun facts about Bigfoot protection (or lack thereof ... ) under some states' laws ...
... In Texas, for example, it is perfectly legal to hunt and kill Bigfoot. At least that’s according to L. David Sinclair, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's chief of staff, who responded to an email about the legalities of Bigfoot hunting in 2012. He wrote:

“If the Commission does not specifically list an indigenous, non-game species, then the species is considered non-protected non-game wildlife [...] A non-protected non-game animal may be hunted on private property with landowner consent by any means, at any time.”

... California takes the opposite approach when dealing with cryptids: The state keeps a record of non-game mammals in the California Code of Regulations. If any animal is missing from that list, as is the case with Bigfoot, that means it can’t be hunted legally.

Oregon follows a similar policy to California’s in that any animal not classified under Oregon wildlife laws is considered “prohibited.” ...
SOURCE: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/87148/it-legal-shoot-bigfoot

A North Carolina Sasquatch witness is highly disturbed by his sighting. He seems genuinely upset.

Bigfoot Sighting Rattles Witness

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/watch-bigfoot-sighting-rattles-witness
The google map of the area shows the problem with many sightings. Not the crypto and paranormal museum, the town has one and google has marked it on the map. It's that there is nowhere nearby that's not touched by humanity, leaving insufficient room for a large unknown natural creature to exist. There just doesn't seem to be enough untouched land in the area for a large undiscovered hominid to exist.

2020_03_31_13_33_20_Littleton_Google_Maps.jpg

The google map of the area shows the problem with many sightings. Not the crypto and paranormal museum, the town has one and google has marked it on the map. It's that there is nowhere nearby that's not touched by humanity, leaving insufficient room for a large unknown natural creature to exist. There just doesn't seem to be enough untouched land in the area for a large undiscovered hominid to exist.

Just passing through?

View attachment 24816

That's the mystery of many of these sightings (making the assumption that these creatures are a living & breathing entity). The evidence really just doesn't weigh up, yet people keep on seeing something and reporting encounters.
My logical side dictates that the idea of a Sasquatch is absurd, but that being said, I desperately want them to exist. I also spend too much time and money reading about them online and in books, not to mention the hours spent watching t.v shows about them.

That's the mystery of many of these sightings (making the assumption that these creatures are a living & breathing entity). The evidence really just doesn't weigh up, yet people keep on seeing something and reporting encounters.
My logical side dictates that the idea of a Sasquatch is absurd, but that being said, I desperately want them to exist. I also spend too much time and money reading about them online and in books, not to mention the hours spent watching t.v shows about them.
That is pretty much where I am with sasquatch, I'm still obsessed with the subject unlike a lot of the others that I obsessed over in the past. I still watch shaky videos, look at blurry photos and read witness reports but, although I've never seen definitive evidence, I still have that interest.

That is pretty much where I am with sasquatch, I'm still obsessed with the subject unlike a lot of the others that I obsessed over in the past. I still watch shaky videos, look at blurry photos and read witness reports but, although I've never seen definitive evidence, I still have that interest.

I live on the edge of our states largest National Park and the number of Yowie (our local Bigfoot) sightings within it surprises me. My town had a significant one in 1980, yet the next town along from me (only 5 kms away) reports sighting after sighting to this day.

Just curious ...those that understand animal science...how likely is it that a Bigfoot population could exist in any given area. Would there need to be a breeding population, how much food, what kind of shelter, etc? What would they do with the dead ones of their kind?
In other words is it even feasible?

The whole idea of hominids to me is surreal and absurd, to borrow Lord Lucan's word...but then reading through outdoors/survivalist/what have you forums I've seen linked either here or through Reddit makes me think there is definitely something going on. And I do not want to experience it!

Just curious ...those that understand animal science...how likely is it that a Bigfoot population could exist in any given area. Would there need to be a breeding population, how much food, what kind of shelter, etc? What would they do with the dead ones of their kind?

I have seen an infographic on this before, but do you think I can find it again or recall the content? No.
I did however, find this article in which a scientist (astrophysicist) speculates on the number of humans it would take to populate and maintain a healthy breeding colony on another planet lasting 6000 years and comes up with the surprising number of only 98.
I know nothing of this kind of thing, so I'm just presenting the information as it, with no opinion as to whether it's feasible or not.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/how-many-humans-would-it-take-keep-our-species-alive-ncna900151

I have seen an infographic on this before, but do you think I can find it again or recall the content? No. I did however, find this article in which a scientist (astrophysicist) speculates on the number of humans it would take to populate and maintain a healthy breeding colony on another planet lasting 6000 years and comes up with the surprising number of only 98.
I know nothing of this kind of thing, so I'm just presenting the information as it, with no opinion as to whether it's feasible or not.
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/how-many-humans-would-it-take-keep-our-species-alive-ncna900151
If we go down to 98 individuals we will have the circular chromosome problem pretty badly and quite quickly.

I have seen an infographic on this before, but do you think I can find it again or recall the content? No.
I did however, find this article in which a scientist (astrophysicist) speculates on the number of humans it would take to populate and maintain a healthy breeding colony on another planet lasting 6000 years and comes up with the surprising number of only 98.

My guess is that 98 population size includes strict rules on who could breed with who/genetic testing etc to prevent inbreeding, at least for a number of generations. I suspect a larger population would be necessary for a species health simply because any undiscovered hominid species is not likely to have that capability. Should Bigfoot be shown to exist, I suspect it would be a population headed for extinction due to lack of numbers.

My guess is that 98 population size includes strict rules on who could breed with who/genetic testing etc to prevent inbreeding, at least for a number of generations. I suspect a larger population would be necessary for a species health simply because any undiscovered hominid species is not likely to have that capability. Should Bigfoot be shown to exist, I suspect it would be a population headed for extinction due to lack of numbers.
Well, that presupposes that they have a really low population size. There is a lot of pretty virgin wilderness in the USA, and if Bigfoot were a (hide-and-seek champion) giant primate, there could potentially be a lot of them out there, especially in Alaska and the Klondike.

A Bigfoot documentary I watched on YouTube last night. It's a little slow to begin with and at times I feel a little forced, but ultimately not too bad.. The quality of the production of the production overall is professional. The interview with the grandfather of one of the film makers is definitely worthwhile and for me, the highlight. It's worth an hour of your time:

The Bigfoot - A Documentary by Casual Preppers
In this documentary, the hosts of The Casual Preppers Podcast set out to learn about and search for "The Bigfoot". From basic research, to stories from people they know, to hiking and hunting for the Bigfoot in its own supposed territory. This primal being has captured the hearts and minds of explorers and adventure seekers around the world. Watch and see if Cam and Coby get sucked into the lore of the lurking beast in the dark woods.....

I have 2 points I'd like to raise regarding Bigfoot.

The first one is going to be controversial and verges on the stupid, but I'm going to say it anyhow. What if Bigfoot is an ursoid not a primate? Consider, in nature it is quite possible for creatures that fit a niche to begin to look a lot like creatures with which they share no genetic similarities, i.e. convergent evolution (I hope I am using that term correctly). In short, what if Bigfoot evolved from a bear, not an ape? I know, it's heresy, but we can see some pretty good examples of tool use by our little trash panda buddies the raccoon. It might explain a few things.

Secondly, there seems to be a decent body of encounter evidence to suggest that Bigfoot uses infrasound. So why has nobody thought to hunt Bigfoot using portable equipment that can detect infrasound? You can apparently get phone apps that can detect infrasound. Do they work? IDK. Is this idea in general worth a try? You tell me?

I have 2 points I'd like to raise regarding Bigfoot.

The first one is going to be controversial and verges on the stupid, but I'm going to say it anyhow. What if Bigfoot is an ursoid not a primate? Consider, in nature it is quite possible for creatures that fit a niche to begin to look a lot like creatures with which they share no genetic similarities, i.e. convergent evolution (I hope I am using that term correctly). In short, what if Bigfoot evolved from a bear, not an ape? I know, it's heresy, but we can see some pretty good examples of tool use by our little trash panda buddies the raccoon. It might explain a few things.

Secondly, there seems to be a decent body of encounter evidence to suggest that Bigfoot uses infrasound. So why has nobody thought to hunt Bigfoot using portable equipment that can detect infrasound? You can apparently get phone apps that can detect infrasound. Do they work? IDK. Is this idea in general worth a try? You tell me?

Not stupid at all when you consider that bears make up a lot of mistaken bigfoot sightings, tracks and even fur samples.

This is basic ecology. It doesn't add up for Bigfoot. If they existed in numbers for a sustainable population, we would have found more evidence of them. (Or, another option is they aren't sustainable, but that's putting the conclusion way ahead of the foundational issue of establishing existence.) There is some discussion of this in

Abominable Science!: Origins of the Yeti, Nessie, and Other Famous Cryptids
By Daniel Loxton, Donald R. Prothero

I'm sure it's in other books as well but not in the "encounter" books that are a large part of the cryptid-lit. And, there has not been any scientific papers except in fringe journals which are sometimes hard to search/find.

This is basic ecology. It doesn't add up for Bigfoot. If they existed in numbers for a sustainable population, we would have found more evidence of them. (Or, another option is they aren't sustainable, but that's putting the conclusion way ahead of the foundational issue of establishing existence.) There is some discussion of this in
There are well over a million square miles of wilderness in the USA, and more in Canada. Huge portions of that area are utterly untouched by humans, and huge portions more are barely touched by humans. A whole band of chimps only forages 150 square miles at the upper end of their territorial limit. Reports suggest sasquatches are omnivores, and there is ample territory and food supply for a large community of them. How is it basic ecology for Bigfoot not to be able to exist? From where I am sitting, that looks as if it would be pretty easy for a clever primate skilled in stealth to survive in such conditions relatively undetected. I say relatively, as it keeps getting reported.

Back