• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bigfoot / Sasquatch: Why So Smelly ?

dreeness

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
In many reports of bigfoot/sasquatch encounters, the alleged creatures are described as having an overpowering, disgusting fetid-fecal stink about them.

Why should sasquatches be so super-stinky? Most wild animals in the wild, while not exactly smelling like new cars or mouthwash, at least aren't gaggingly stinktastic. But sasquatches supposedly have a godawful stench, why?

Here are a few ideas:

-- They really are just "damn dirty apes", and for some reason they have absolutely no regard for personal hygiene.

-- They are prone to various diseases of the skin, which causes many of them to have a very bad smell.

-- Like many predators, they try to cover themselves in the feces of prey species while hunting, in order to confuse or camoflage their own scents.

I'd say it's just a detail in the story, such as why do you need a silver bullet to kill a werewolf, at some point something just got accepted and woven into the fabric of the story. Although as it appears to be a pretty universal theme in man beast lore perhaps it'd be more accurate to say that, like another common detail the idea of back ward facing feet, it's a symbolic of some point the story or concept of a wild hairy man thing was originally meant to convey. But one that doesn't really register with us now in its original context.

How about as a defense mechanism, like skunks spraying? Or as a posturing display?.

It might be that they are so rare that in order to mate, they have to really stink in order to smell a potential mate from a considerable distance. Pheromones + substantial body odour, perhaps?

Mythopoeika said:
It might be that they are so rare that in order to mate, they have to really stink in order to smell a potential mate from a considerable distance. Pheromones + substantial body odour, perhaps?
CF teenage boys and Lynx (Ax to our colonial friends..).

Actually, it's possibly about personal perspective. Stinks to humans, but not to them. Like dogs, whose sense of smell is thousands of times better than ours, but will happily stick their heads in bins, compost heaps and even more unsavoury materials and places and it doesn't bother them at all.

stuneville said:
Mythopoeika said:

Actually, it's possibly about personal perspective. Stinks to humans, but not to them. Like dogs, whose sense of smell is thousands of times better than ours, but will happily stick their heads in bins, compost heaps and even more unsavoury materials and places and it doesn't bother them at all.

It's "Lynx" here...

The thylacine was apparently definitely on the stinky side as well. Maybe being a cryptid has its downside too.

It's called "Axe" in Canada, not sure how the Americans spell it, I got some bottles of the Axe body wash super-cheap last year at a drug store that was going out of business, and I've been using it as an all-purpose detergent, I scrubbed the concrete patio with it and it works pretty good, as good as Pine-Sol or Mr Clean. But then I saw some tv commercials for it and apparently the smell of it causes teenage girls to go peculiar, spontaneous orgasms and whatnot, so I guess maybe I should stop using it, like it's already bad enough that I can't keep squirrels off the patio.

:(

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

Anyway, getting back to smelly sasquatches, it also might be a seasonal affliction, related to diet. When the wild blueberries are in season, bears will gorge themselves on huge amounts of them, with the inevitable gastrointestinal consequences. The same is true of many wild foods that are seasonally abundant, like spawning salmon, etc. A sasquatch that has just stuffed itself with the tender green leaves of new skunk cabbage or wild onions wood soon become an olfactory menace, hyper-flatulent and awful.

stuneville said:
Mythopoeika said:

On this vein, they could smell bad to us because it is the same or similar stink which we are accustomed to associating with an unclean human. Unclean humans tend to gross out other humans :p
So why doesn't it gross out Sasquatches? They must be more mature and less superficial than we are.

lkb3rd said:
stuneville said:
Mythopoeika said:

On this vein, they could smell bad to us because it is the same or similar stink which we are accustomed to associating with an unclean human. Unclean humans tend to gross out other humans :p
So why doesn't it gross out Sasquatches? They must be more mature and less superficial than we are.

Soap and other toiletries are a relatively new innovation in the human world. There was once a time when we all stank and didn't care, and we'd never heard of soap. Sasquatches haven't discovered soap yet.

It must take a long time to shampoo a Sasquatch.

Many of the apes i worked with just had BO! Spider monkeys produce a scent from gland on their chest and rub it all over the place. It's quite pungent.

So, we are back to our old friend Giganthpithecus, are we?

Are Orangs smelly?

Back