Bird Falls: Mysterious Deaths Of Birds En Masse

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Don't believe that, surly if 300 birds dived into the ground at least a few would have been alive but injured.
Which might be why they weren’t found...

maximus otter

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... As I understand it, the authorities have all but concluded the birds were murmurating to flee a predator, they dove en masse toward the ground as an evasive maneuver, and some didn't "pull out" of the dive. ...
Don't believe that, surly if 300 birds dived into the ground at least a few would have been alive but injured.
I found an orphaned post from 2003 describing a mass suicide by starlings in Stuttgart, in which a mass of the birds nose-dived into the ground (with multiple witnesses). It's now been transferred into this thread:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...us-deaths-of-birds-en-masse.28735/post-285585

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
More than 1,000 birds were found dead near a Missouri town on Monday and officials want to know what happened.

The Missouri Department of Conservation received reports of large numbers of dead birds found near Sikeston and went to investigate.
Sikeston is located in southeast Missouri.

Biologist Kevin Brunke found more than 1,000 dead birds — red-winged blackbirds, brown-headed cowbirds, grackles and European starlings — in fields and neighborhoods near Wakefield Road, the post said.

They also found several injured birds in vegetation near the roadway.

Video of the scene can be found here but may be disturbing to some viewers.

Mothershead wrote that the conservation department had received calls about dead and injured birds between 8 and 9 p.m. on Sunday — about the time a thunderstorm rolled into the area, according to the post.

One resident reported “hearing birds [hit] the ground” near her home, the post said.

Mothershead and Brunke think it’s likely the flock got caught up in the storm. “... it’s reasonable to conclude that the flock spooked during the weather event, and were caught up in high winds or lightning,” Mothershead wrote. “As birds couldn’t recover in flight, many fell to the ground and perished or became injured.”

https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article240833731.html

maximus otter

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Thousands of migratory birds have been discovered dead across a wide area of New Mexico, and no one seems to be certain what's killing them.
Hundreds of thousands of migratory birds have been found dead in New Mexico

Biologists at New Mexico State University are trying to find out why hundreds of thousands of migratory birds have been found dead across the state.

The mystery started August 20 with the discovery of a large number of dead birds at the US Army White Sands Missile Range and White Sands National Monument, according to Martha Desmond, a professor at the university's department of fish, wildlife and conservation ecology.

What was first believed to be an isolated incident turned out to be a much more serious problem when hundreds more dead birds were found in regions across the state. including Doña Ana County, Jemez Pueblo, Roswell and Socorro. ...

Dead migratory birds -- which include species such as warblers, bluebirds, sparrows, blackbirds, the western wood pewee and flycatchers -- are also being found in Colorado, Texas and Mexico. ...

Residents and biologists reported seeing birds acting strangely before they died. For example, birds that are normally seen in shrubs and trees have been spotted on the ground looking for food and chasing bugs. ...

One of the factors biologists believe may have contributed to the deaths of the birds is the wildfires burning in California and other Western states, which may have forced the birds into early migration before they were ready. ...

Some birds might have had to change their migratory pathways, while others could have inhaled smoke and sustained lung damage.

While the fires and dry weather in New Mexico may have amplified the number of migratory bird deaths, that still leaves many questions. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/14/us/new-mexico-birds-died-migration-trnd/index.html

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This Science Alert article provides more info on the mysterious mass die-off of migratory birds in the American Southwest region:

Mysterious, Sudden Mass Die-Off in The US Could Be Killing Millions of Birds
https://www.sciencealert.com/myster...t-in-us-may-number-in-millions-scientists-say

If you are in the southwestern United States and discover any unusual - or unusually plentiful - dead birds you can report them to the Southwest Avian Mortality Project to help biologists survey and analyze whatever it is that's going on.

Photographs should accompany any online reports, and certain additional data is required. For details see:

https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/southwest-avian-mortality-project