• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Birds Grounded (Unable Or Unwilling To Fly)

chromedog

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
ok, Im a newbie here so please be gentle. I was 10 years old, must have been the mid 1970's. Me and me dad was walking the dog through a local housing estate. I noticed the local birds, sparrows and starlings, just sort of hopping around on the pavement and walls. Thing was they didnt scatter when you approached them as they usually would. Then it dawned on us that the birds couldnt fly. I bent down and picked one up. Our dog just bemusedly sniffed at them. This flightlessness seemed have effected the whole bird population of the estate, as we passed through we just kept encountering more and more of these poor hopping birds. My dad's explanation was that they must have been poisoned, I think really he was grasping at straws for an explanation, what sort of poison does that to so many birds? Thinking back theres another thing that was odd, there didnt seem to be any other people to witness all this in that the streets were deserted. I dont remember any traffic either.

As strange stuff goes this perhaps doesnt rank that high but I still wonder what the heck was that all about

Are birds subject to mass hysteria? Sounds like some Oz Factor going on there too.

I wouldn't dismiss your Fathers explanation out of hand. I've seen similar.

In the past pidgeons round here were poisoned and they behaved just as you posted*. A badly targeted culling would have hit all the local birds. In the 70s no-one would have cared or been listened to by the council.

*at first I used to put them instantly out of their misery but gave up because of accusations of cruelty so left them to die slowly :roll:

Is it possible that they had eaten fermenting berries perhaps? Maybe they were just a bit pissed? :shock:

Well, it's a stretch, but I've heard of birds falling from the sky (like a frog rain) and being unable to fly afterwards. :)

Some interesting suggestions here, everyone valid. Yeah...perhaps the poison one, maybe my old dad got it right. After all, it was the 70s and the area I lived the local wild life wasnt very high in the scheme of things.

Back