Birds: Miscellaneous Notes, Observations, Etc.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not sure about the Owl not wanting to be touched, some time back in the early hours
there was this god awful noise going on outside, in the end I got up went out and it
was a Little Owl perched on next doors chimney, I told it to bugger off as you do
were opp on it dived off the chimney and passed so close to my head it's wing brushed
my neck, it then shut up and perched on a street light about 100 yards way and I
went back to bed.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Not sure about the Owl not wanting to be touched, some time back in the early hours there was this god awful noise going on outside, in the end I got up went out and it was a Little Owl perched on next doors chimney, I told it to bugger off as you do were opp on it dived off the chimney and passed so close to my head it's wing brushed my neck, it then shut up and perched on a street light about 100 yards way and I went back to bed.
Not sure about little owls (I love those birds - unfortunately very rare around where I am), but some larger owl species can be quite aggressive in self defence. You certainly have to be a sensible around tawny owls when they're nesting, and it's one reason it's not recommended to put owl boxes too close to human habitation. Famous ornithologist and bird photographer, the late Eric Hosking, lost an eye to a tawny owl. (It's one of the reasons I was not as immediately circumspect as many people seem to be in regard to the 'owl theory' defence used in the Netflix documentary, The Staircase - and those barred owls are considerably more hefty than tawny owls, and known to be aggressive.)

I once got an emergency call off my mum and dad to go round and release a tawny owl that had become trapped and panicky in their garage. Cornered like that many animals can become aggressive - I gathered it up after throwing a tarp over it, but I was layered up in canvas work gear, and wearing goggles, welding gloves and my climbing pot before I went anywhere near it. Poor bugger must have thought it was being abducted by an alien.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think birds in general have become more urban. In Rotterdam we have crested grebes in the city centre! A century ago a Dutch naturalist had to walk for hours to see one.
I love those birds with their punk hairdos and their lovely mating dances.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I'm expecting the headline "Seagull Steals Identity" next.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'm expecting the headline "Seagull Steals Identity" next.
Always did wonder how Jonathan Livingston Seagull got ahead.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It’s pigeon and dove Armageddon where we live. Never have we seen so many pigeons/doves dead on our daily dog walks. We have seen a massive increase in the number of buzzards on the land where we shoot over recent years, and there are always hawks over the nature reserve, so we are assuming that some of these birds are making their way into the urban areas and are decimating the pigeon and dove population.
We have a malting near to us which is home to a zillion collared doves that looks like it has become a pantry for some of the local predatory birds.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It’s pigeon and dove Armageddon where we live. Never have we seen so many pigeons/doves dead on our daily dog walks. We have seen a massive increase in the number of buzzards on the land where we shoot over recent years, and there are always hawks over the nature reserve, so we are assuming that some of these birds are making their way into the urban areas and are decimating the pigeon and dove population.
We have a malting near to us which is home to a zillion collared doves that looks like it has become a pantry for some of the local predatory birds.
If it were buzzards or hawks they'd be catching them to eat - all you'd find is a bunch of feathers where they've plucked them.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If it were buzzards or hawks they'd be catching them to eat - all you'd find is a bunch of feathers where they've plucked them.
A hell of a lot of them are headless and some are opened but but not finished off. We do find a good few that are just wings and a bit of bone.

Sid

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
A hell of a lot of them are headless and some are opened but but not finished off. We do find a good few that are just wings and a bit of bone.
"Headless ~ not finished off," etc, sounds more like the work of cats 'Tempest 63.' From what I have encountered myself, Cats do have a common habit of chewing off the head of birds first, and leaving the remains behind.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
"Headless ~ not finished off," etc, sounds more like the work of cats 'Tempest 63.' From what I have encountered myself, Cats do have a common habit of chewing off the head of birds first, and leaving the remains behind.
Agreed - sounds more like cats than buzzards or hawks.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll just delete it.
No, no, no ... :dsist:

No need to delete it. I've copied the post over to the Birds Aren't Real thread and restored it here (where it also fits).