Birds Snatching Domestic Animals, Pets Or Children

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Have the refuse collectors been? If not, Becca might have a little root around the wheelie bin. There could be a small heavily-wrapped, slightly smelly package in there. At least she'll have something to bury.

What d'you mean, cynical?

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Well that's just gulls being gulls for you, nothing new. And what would have happened to that chick otherwise? (she said heartlessly but realistically). It was toast if it had fallen out of the nest - if it hadn't been a gull it'd have been a dog or a fox or a cat or a small child with a big boot. Note that it didn't get picked up and flown away with, just viciously pecked to death on the ground. Nature eh. Nasty to witness. But just Mr/Ms Seagull getting their dinner.
That was my thought too. It came to a quick end thanks to the seagull.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Slightly off topic as not domestic animals.

Fox nabs rabbit, eagle swoops to nab them both. A short airborne struggle & it flies off with the rabbit. The fox survives but could well have injury from the talons

From Washington state.

There's another animal visible in the field at about 20 sec. Can't tell what it is though - looks too big to be a fox. Coyote?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The other animal looks like a lynx or mountain lion though I would not put money on it.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Pet Chihuahua grabbed by bird of prey in Aberdeen

Date: 11 November, 2019
Source: BBC News online

A pet Chihuahua had a "very lucky" escape when a bird of prey tried to snatch it, according to its owners.

Sheila Gillanders, 72, said 18-month-old Emma was only saved thanks to the quick actions of her husband Robert.

The buzzard-like bird tried to take the pet from their garden in Aberdeen's Stoneywood on Friday.

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampprojec...errer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

Maybe it fancied a Mexican takeaway?

:parapet:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
random googling suggests a herring gull weighs 1 to 1.5kg and a chihuahua 1.5 to 3kg).
This is getting like the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I do hope there wasn't some sort of unfortunate dog incident like the Sofa Episode in the Sopranos which the husband had to cover up
Was it barkin'?

michael59

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A little off topic but, back in 2003, I was walking my miniature Yorkie down the lane. A crow followed us the whole way hopping from street lamp to street lamp. Every once in a while it would cry out really loud like they do when they call to their group. I thought it was cute and I kept talking to it as we walked.

That evening on the 6 o'clock news there was a segment warning people not to leave their small pets unattended because the crows were stalking them. :pop:

I didn't think it was so cute anymore.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This aged toy poodle was snatched by a hawk ...
Dog reunited with Pennsylvania family after being stolen by hawk

A Pennsylvania family was reunited with their dog 28 hours after the toy poodle was carried off by a hawk.

Deborah Falcione of Whitehall, Allegheny County, said her 16-year-old dog, Porschia, who is deaf and blind, was snatched of the home's upper back deck Thursday.

Falcione said she gathered a group of friends and searched the area long into the night, but there were no signs of the toy poodle or the bird of prey who grabbed her. ...

Falcione said she was shocked to receive a call the next afternoon from Banfield Pet Hospital saying they had her dog.

"I said, 'That's impossible!' She could not have survived 28 hours out in the bitter cold weather, in 10-degree weather. This is a 6 1/2 pound dog. She's blind. She's deaf. She's 16 years old. I went down there, and sure enough, this is the dog. The old dog with the strongest will to survive," Falcione said.

The animal hospital said Porschia had been found by a neighbor about four blocks from her home. The dog was cold and lethargic, but didn't have any broken bones.

"How she got away, I'll have no idea. How she survived it, I will never know. ..." Falcione said.

An 8-pound bichon frise named Zoey survived a similar ordeal in January 2018. Monica Newhard said Zoey was grabbed out of her Bowmanstown, Pa., yard by a swooping eagle.

The dog was found in a road about 4 miles from Newhard's home by a woman who took Zoey home and later spotted a Facebook post about the incident. Zoey was not seriously injured and was returned home a day after being carried away.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...-being-stolen-by-hawk/3531582560981/?ts_on=13

Eponastill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The hawk (or roc?) must have kindly put it down on the floor very carefully. The dog presumably didn't fall from a great height whilst wriggling in the bird's talons, did it.
What a time to be alive.

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Here's a recent news report from Las Vegas with photographic evidence of a hawk trying to snatch a small dog.

Teen goes wild when hawk tries to fly off carrying Yorkie puppy

Lulu is a Yorkie dog and Cecilia is the teenager.

The hawk attempts to fly off with the dog. Lulu scrambles and tries, with all her might, to resist and stay on the ground. When Cecilia finally arrives, she screams frantically at the hawk to let go. She stomps and tries to intimidate the Hawk into releasing Lulu from its talons, to no avail.
Cecilia resorts to smacking the bird with a seat cushion, which works. The hawk releases the dog and flies away.

Eponastill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Perhaps it was just fed up of it yapping and tried to peck it into submission(!). It might prove that such a bird would have a go at a tiny dog, but who knows, it might have been the other way around to begin with? We don't see how the incident began. But it doesn't really show any evidence of leaving the ground or whether it was intending to try and do that? So - yeah interesting but not yet proof of birds carrying off dogs if you ask me :)
In the video, when the bird flaps, it looks rather as though the dog might have hold of the bird and the bird is defending itself! The dog is wagging its tail like mad (I'm not sure I would do that if I were being attacked by a bird??)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Perhaps it was just fed up of it yapping and tried to peck it into submission(!). It might prove that such a bird would have a go at a tiny dog, but who knows, it might have been the other way around to begin with? We don't see how the incident began. But it doesn't really show any evidence of leaving the ground or whether it was intending to try and do that? So - yeah interesting but not yet proof of birds carrying off dogs if you ask me :)
In the video, when the bird flaps, it looks rather as though the dog might have hold of the bird and the bird is defending itself! The dog is wagging its tail like mad (I'm not sure I would do that if I were being attacked by a bird??)
Why would a wild hawk be in a family garden though, if not looking for food? Also, the dog was injured.
Slowing the video down does seem to show the dog holding the bird rather than the bird doing the grabbing.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
Why would a wild hawk be in a family garden though, if not looking for food? Also, the dog was injured.
Slowing the video down does seem to show the dog holding the bird rather than the bird doing the grabbing.
yorkies not known for brains, but can be snappy.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yithian was this the case from Norway?
I remember reading about it and seeing a picture of the girl who was grown up by then.
I never forgot it because she looked so much like one of my sisters.

Last edited by a moderator:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Yithian was this the case from Norway?
I remember reading about it and seeing a picture of the girl who was grown up by then.
I never forgot it because she looked so much like one of my sisters.
The photo is a still from the early silent film Rescued From An Eagle's Nest. The girl who appeared as the baby is listed as either Jinnie or Jeannie Frazer. As far as I know all the Edison actors were cast from the immediate New Jersey / New York area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescued_from_an_Eagle's_Nest
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0000749/
http://www.silentera.com/PSFL/data/R/RescuedFromAnEaglesNes1908.html