• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A

Anonymous

The following extracts are from a quarter page news feature by Ben Summerskill in The Observer newspaper, 10 November 2002.

" A BISHOP who protested to the Broadcasting Standards Commission after being addressed by his Christian name on a radio programme has had his complaint upheld. The taste and decency watchdog ruled that Bishop Sean Manchester was treated "unjustly and unfairly" by phone-in presenter James Whale.

Manchester, a bishop in the traditionalist Old Catholic Church appeared live on Whale's late night discussion programme on raido station Talksport last February. He was discussing exorcism, still practised by most Christian Churches.

Whale a "shock jock" known to court on-air controversy, subjected Manchester to a "tirade of discourtesy," repeatedly failing to refrer to him properly.

The Bishop did find some backing yesterday. "If a person has a title which is recognised by a good number of people, he or she should be accredited with that title if they speak in public," said Ian Gregory of the Campaign for Courtesy, formerly the Polite Society. "Politeness is deserving of encouragement."

{Details about the Bishop's complaint and BSC findings can be found at http://www.holygrail-church.fsnet.co.uk/BSC.htm}

You missed a bit..

Observer 10.11.02

The watchdog declined to uphold a further complaint from Bishop Manchester that Whale 'threatened to slap him' after their disagreement. It ruled that, as the conversation took place by phone, no such threat could be taken seriously.

A spokesman for Talksport was unrepentant: 'This complaint seems to have been a complete waste of public money. Protests of this sort should not be taken seriously.' Bishop Manchester insisted: 'Within every mitre is contained a crown of thorns.'

Full online article here.

Stu

Whale vs Seany Baby, eh? Quite a courtroom battle that would be.

"The Bishop did find some backing etc"

This is found in the original Observer article which was printed in the actual Observer dated 10th of November 2002 as I have the original article in front of me so yes it does appear in the article.

I wish that everyone would get their facts right before falsley accusing someone.

Herne the Hunter said:
I wish that everyone would get their facts right before falsley accusing someone.

:rolleyes:

OK, I've edited my initial post.

I just want to point out the message above was a satirical comment on the nature of the complaints rather than a slur on the Bishop.

Ta. Ithankyou.

Sprout.

Appalled of Tunbridge Wells writes:

I feel sure our friend Exorcistate would have a thing or two to say about the Mr Whale's discourteous behaviour. Alas 'tis not to be...

Personally, I don't find anything remotely 'shocking' about James Whale, he's more plain 'irritating' really.

As for Evil Sprout's courtroom battle, I can easily imagine the good bishop performing a Quincey/Perry Mason-styled righteously indignant jury-address with style (and a big frilly shirt).

I wasn't sure exactly where to situate the following, so here it is.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/diary/story/0,3604,845031,00.html

· Today's extract from The Highgate Vampire (Gothic Press, £19.99) finds author and Old Catholic bishop Sean Manchester handing a copy of the 1733 text Dissertato de Vampyris Seviensibus to Keith Maclean, by way of diagnosing his girlfriend Elizabeth's funny turns. "But we're in this age and absolutely no one will entertain the possibility of vampires," Keith shouts. "That is the very reason why we must," Sean replies. "The door of her bedroom must be sealed with garlic and a crucifix. A handful of salt in linen must be hung around her neck with a silver cross ..." and so on, until Keith agrees. "Yet the question still haunted me," writes Sean after her recovery, "who else might have fallen victim to the devilish entity which had preyed upon Elizabeth?" Next up, to Highgate cemetery and a televised vampire hunt anchored by Eamonn Andrews.

· Thanks to those who offered information about the Old Catholic church. No room today, but we will come to the (Anglican) Rev Ken Leech's authoritative account on this breakaway outfit on Tuesday.

And it's Tuesday TODAY!!

Not mentioned at all...................

I wonder why not .....................

The previous few weeks' Diary columns have featured other delightful extracts, for the instruction and edification of Guardian readers.

I'd like to email the Diary to protest at today's oversight but there's no specific address for it that I can find.

Tabloid? I know what you mean but the Grauniad is a respected broadsheet.
I saw a Diary item about this last week, complete with a rather dashing image of our silver-maned, crucufix-wielding hero.

Pardons

Wasn't impugning the newspaper but rather commenting on the fact that wilder stuff like this tends to filll its own void when reported. In other words, the fact that there can be publicity automatically generates a certain amount of publicity seeking.

The so-called bishop is a case in point, dashing though he be. Or is it daunting?

UrbanDruid said:
a rather dashing image of our silver-maned, crucifix-wielding hero

.....who just happens to thrive on any publicity, the more controversial the better ........

H.

More from the Guardian Diary!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/diary/0,6957,181043,00.html

· There is no more from our Book of the Month, Old Catholic bishop Sean Manchester's 1985 bloodsucking classic The Highgate Vampire. All extracts are suspended until our lord bishop replies to Marina's email concerning striking similarities between another of his meisterworks, The Vampire Hunter's Companion, and the 1928 blockbuster The Vampire: His Kith And Kin, by another Old Catholic priest, the Rev Montague Summers.

There is now a highly imaginative email address for the Guardian diary-
[email protected]

What's happened to all the old threads about vampires, exorcisms, bishops etc? Are they still available?

There are still a few around - a search on "Exorcistate" will reveal what is left.

Unfortunately, a great number of those type of threads were deleted. This is was either by Exo himself (in a fit of pique at receiving a warning) or by the people who started the threads only to see them turn into personal battle grounds for Exo and his many enemies.

The original "Bishop Manchester and his Church" was started by Simonsmith and contains a lot of detailed discussion on the Bishop's heavenly provenance. Simon deleted this thread when Veronica Lake got hysterical, but I believe he kept a copy which I am sure he would pass to you if you mailed him.

Bishop Manchester is not a fan of The Guardian - have a look at the "Exorcisms" thread in the Parapsychology section to find out more.....................

The thread "Bishop Sean Manchester and his Church", a conglomeration of all the related threads that were still in existence at the time of Exorcistate beng banned, is here.

The initial post is by me: this is to prevent anyone deleting the thread. The actual first relevant post is the second one in the thread. The thread remains locked, as Exorcistate is no longer there to defend the position of the Grail Church it would be too open to attack.

Stu

Plagiarism?

"There is no more from our Book of the Month, Old Catholic bishop Sean Manchester's 1985 bloodsucking classic The Highgate Vampire. All extracts are suspended until our lord bishop replies to Marina's email concerning striking similarities between another of his meisterworks, The Vampire Hunter's Companion, and the 1928 blockbuster The Vampire: His Kith And Kin, by another Old Catholic priest, the Rev Montague Summers. "

--Apparently the good bishop doesn't believe all forms of bloodsucking are worth fighting against, hm?

Wasn't the issue of similarities to Summers' work passed off as 'Homage' by Exorcistate, and addressed in one of the threads on here?

If it's been deleted, but someone still has a copy of it, perhaps they could forward this to the Guardian diarist?

Exorcistate was always very sensitive on the subject of plagiarism and was certainly fond of dishing out accusations.

I guess one doesn't have to look to far to see the root.

If it's been deleted, but someone still has a copy of it, perhaps they could forward this to the Guardian diarist?

ROFLMAO
That would be funny!
Can we find it, peeps?

edit: I wonder how long this thread will last......

Matthew Norman
Thursday November 21, 2002
The Guardian

· We are thrilled to introduce the new Diary Book of the Month. The Highgate Vampire (Gothic Press) is the 1991 occult classic by Sean Manchester, a bishop in the Old Catholic Church. How our lord bishop, who featured recently after his complaint over not being addressed by his title on a radio show was upheld by the Broadcasting Standards Commission, escaped our notice until now is a mystery. "As it has been my destiny to explore those aspects of the occult which by their very nature defy all attempts at logical explanation and scientific examination," the book begins, "and having had the unique though sometimes harrowing experience of discovering a facet of the malign supernatural thought to have vanished centuries ago if it existed at all," he goes on, "the task now befalls to me to commit pen to paper..." We're going to have to hurry you, Bishop Sean. "I am already beginning to wonder," he is still continuing some pages later, "if the whole adventure was not some part of a frightening, fragmented dream - a nightmare in which the door between us and another world was almost ripped off its hinges..." Gripping as this is, enough for now. Tomorrow we fast forward to the first exorcism conducted by the bishop, pictured below.

· Incidentally, if anyone has information about the Old Catholic Church, please get in touch. All we know is that it split from Rome over the doctrine of papal infallibility, and that the TV magician David Nixon was a member. Apart from that, all is dark.

Saturday's Guardian....

· Bishop Sean Manchester, the exorcist and vampire-hunter familiar to readers of the Guardian Diary, is warning booksellers not to sell a self-published pamphlet entitled Man, Myth and Manchester. He asserts that the pamphlet, by David Farrant, is defamatory; and, as reported here before, booksellers may be liable to prosecution if they can be shown to be aware of the defamatory nature of material they stock.

One of the booksellers to receive a strongly worded email from Bishop Manchester is Countrybookshop.co.uk, an independent internet operation. The company does not hold copies of the pamphlet, nor has it sold any; it merely includes it, as do Amazon.co.uk and WHSmith.co.uk, on its database of titles in print. Nevertheless, it is vulnerable. As Geraldine Rose of Countrybookshop said: "Anybody could say that about any book - we could be taking books off [the site] all the time."

http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,849724,00.html

brideo .jpeg

Back