• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bit Of A Journey

Besides the very real dangers of such experimentation, there is always the risk of ending up feeling that you are now qualified to act as a spiritual teacher.... cf. St Paul, David Icke, and all too many others (mostly in the States).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_death

Can be experienced by very good quality LSD or similar things or a mixture of psychoactive substances, cultural and spiritual guidance. The thing is you have to be very careful exploring this as there are few guides out there.

Beware or risk a visit to chapel perilous.
Quite. It's worth remembering that the 'ego' (in the sense of terms expressed above) can be restraining behaviours that are at best socially unacceptable or destructive and at worst could be self destructive and/or dangerous to others. The idea that a person's mish-mash of social conditioning and sense of self is inhibiting access to some kind of 'higher being' is simplistic and misguided.

Couldn't agree more.;)

I have known a couple of too agreeable individuals. Very "nice" people and popular but wholly ineffective in any work environment and solving life problems. One has become so submissive to others he's almost robotic. I no longer spend any time with him for fear of upsetting his "wiring". It is actually quite sad to see.
Unfortunately if you are brought up in a difficult environment you can develop this as a defence mechanism- deferring to others and not asking for anything for yourself keeps the peace

Unfortunately if you are brought up in a difficult environment you can develop this as a defence mechanism- deferring to others and not asking for anything for yourself keeps the peace
Yes - I came to that conclusion myself with regard to the individual concerned. I find it incredibly sad that this type of behaviour habit can't be broken, but on the face of it this person is quite happy so best not interfere.

Quite. It's worth remembering that the 'ego' (in the sense of terms expressed above) can be restraining behaviours that are at best socially unacceptable or destructive and at worst could be self destructive and/or dangerous to others. The idea that a person's mish-mash of social conditioning and sense of self is inhibiting access to some kind of 'higher being' is simplistic and misguided.
I don't think it is misguided, but it is usually simplistic, in the sense that just making the statement doesn't tell you what to do next. It is something we see very often in these forums, witnesses to unusual experiences first going into denial then even into a self induced amnesia -- "it never happened, so I don't need to worry about it any more." Misguided only in the sense that people may be led to pursue all kinds of weird things -- drugs, cults, New Age "pick'n mix" methods, etc., that won't achieve what is required.

Misguided only in the sense that people may be led to pursue all kinds of weird things -- drugs, cults, New Age "pick'n mix" methods, etc., that won't achieve what is required.
...violence towards others, to oneself. Misguided.

Back