• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bizarre Auctions

A Denim Archaeologist would be top of the list for a faker suspect...
Well, I guess he's only Brand jeans.jpg

An Alarming Auction.

A man who has spent 30 years and £16,000 amassing a massive alarm clock collection is set to startle bidders.

Frank Randell said his time-consuming passion turned into an obsession, resulting in over 550 alarm clocks. The 79-year-old's items have been stored in cabinets at his home in Nottingham. Time will tell how much the clocks sell for, as due to the size of the collection, it will go under the hammer at a few auctions.

Mr Randell, a retired transport director, got his hands on his first alarm clock in the 1990s - a James Bond-themed timekeeper.

"Wherever my wife Ann and I went in the world - America, France, Japan, China - if I saw a clock that suited my collection I bought it," he said. "I documented every clock, where I bought it and what it cost. And every six weeks I checked over them all, replacing any dead batteries."

Alarm clocks
IMAGE SOURCE, HANSONS Image caption, Mr Randell said he would search for alarm clocks at collectors' fairs

Alarm clocks
IMAGE SOURCE, HANSONS Image caption, The clocks are from the 1930s onwards

Mr Randell's collection largely consists of 20th Century alarm clocks, dating from the 1930s onwards.

After ticking off hundreds of items, Mr Randell has decided to call time on his collection.

"The kids don't want them," he said. "I'd like to see them go to collectors who will enjoy them as much as I have. I am keeping a few for my three children, six grandchildren and great granddaughter."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-65260653

An Alarming Auction.

A man who has spent 30 years and £16,000 amassing a massive alarm clock collection is set to startle bidders.

Frank Randell said his time-consuming passion turned into an obsession, resulting in over 550 alarm clocks. The 79-year-old's items have been stored in cabinets at his home in Nottingham. Time will tell how much the clocks sell for, as due to the size of the collection, it will go under the hammer at a few auctions.

Mr Randell, a retired transport director, got his hands on his first alarm clock in the 1990s - a James Bond-themed timekeeper.

"Wherever my wife Ann and I went in the world - America, France, Japan, China - if I saw a clock that suited my collection I bought it," he said. "I documented every clock, where I bought it and what it cost. And every six weeks I checked over them all, replacing any dead batteries."

Alarm clocks
IMAGE SOURCE, HANSONS Image caption, Mr Randell said he would search for alarm clocks at collectors' fairs

Alarm clocks
IMAGE SOURCE, HANSONS Image caption, The clocks are from the 1930s onwards

Mr Randell's collection largely consists of 20th Century alarm clocks, dating from the 1930s onwards.

After ticking off hundreds of items, Mr Randell has decided to call time on his collection.

"The kids don't want them," he said. "I'd like to see them go to collectors who will enjoy them as much as I have. I am keeping a few for my three children, six grandchildren and great granddaughter."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-65260653
They'll be second hand by then I guess!

Don't be silly. . . that sort of comment just raises alarm bells!
You could probably hear them on a promotional TikTok made by the auction house?

Who'll make the lead bid?

A silver-plated pencil purported to have belonged to Adolf Hitler is set to go under the hammer in Belfast.

It is believed to have been given to the former Nazi dictator by his long-term partner Eva Braun as a gift for his 52nd birthday on April 20, 1941.

It is inscribed with ‘Eva’ in German and the initials “AH”.

The pencil was originally purchased by a collector at an auction in 2002 and since then has remained in the collector’s family.

Bloomfield Auctions in east Belfast will also be selling an original signed photograph of Hitler at a sale of historical items next week.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-gifted-pencil-auction-belfast-b2347539.html

Handbag ‘smaller than a grain of salt’ sells for over $63,000

Barely visible to the human eye, the fluorescent yellowish-green bag is based on a popular Louis Vuitton design — though it is the work of a New York art collective, not the luxury label itself.

The object was made using two-photon polymerization, a manufacturing technology used to 3D-print micro-scale plastic parts. It was sold alongside a microscope equipped with a digital display through which the bag can be viewed.

The sale was hosted by
Joopiter, an online auction house founded by American musician, record producer and designer Pharrell Williams.
1688043529108.png

Selling airspace, vacant possession guaranteed.

The future of London housing might lie in the sky, as a plot of "airspace" goes under the hammer this month in Battersea, south-west London.

Space at 47 Northcote Road is being offered with a guide price of £10,000. Despite there being no planning permission to build, auctioneer Phillip Arnold thinks it could fetch more.

The sale listing states the freeholder "will be providing landlord's consent to develop" on top of the roof of the flat below.

Mr Arnold explained that the plot next door was currently being redeveloped with an additional storey and another, two doors down, had permission for the same.

"You'd like to think there's a better chance than most with this," he said.

Located within walking distance of Clapham Junction railway station, the plot sits above two self-contained flats and a ground floor restaurant that is being redeveloped into a café. The airspace is offered "with vacant possession" and the auctioneer's website says "a new 150-year lease with a peppercorn ground rent will be granted upon completion".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-67575318

An upcoming Julian's auction where you can own Elvis' wristwatch or Cadillac, Buddy Holly's autograph, an authentic 'Penny Lane' street sign plus a whole lot more. There's some great stuff here!

https://www.julienslive.com/auctions/catalog/id/471

View attachment 71145
I'd love to own this but I'd definitely also wear it so it's probably best I don't ..

https://www.julienslive.com/lot-details/index/catalog/471/lot/220345/ELVIS-PRESLEY-BROWN-LEATHER-JACKET?url=/auctions/catalog/id/471

The future of London housing might lie in the sky, as a plot of "airspace" goes under the hammer this month in Battersea, south-west London.

Space at 47 Northcote Road is being offered with a guide price of £10,000. Despite there being no planning permission to build, auctioneer Phillip Arnold thinks it could fetch more.

The sale listing states the freeholder "will be providing landlord's consent to develop" on top of the roof of the flat below.

Mr Arnold explained that the plot next door was currently being redeveloped with an additional storey and another, two doors down, had permission for the same.

Located within walking distance of Clapham Junction railway station, the plot sits above two self-contained flats and a ground floor restaurant that is being redeveloped into a café. The airspace is offered "with vacant possession" and the auctioneer's website says "a new 150-year lease with a peppercorn ground rent will be granted upon completion".

Could be just a load of hot-air! :)

Wonder if they'll put a price on the very air we breath in future?:worry:

Newport zesty bidding war sees 285-year-old lemon fetch £1.4K​

Dried out lemon

BBC News, West Midlands

A zesty and unlikely bidding war has seen a lemon that is nearly 300 years old fetch more than £1,000 at auction.

Brettell's Auctioneers in Newport said the initial bid was just £40, but then the bids for what is thought to have been a love token just escalated.

The lemon has inscriptions carved in it stating it was given by Mr P Lu Franchini Nov 4 1739 to Miss E Baxter.

Auctioneer David Brettell said he told bidders: "You are never going to see an object like this at auction again."

"It is completely unique," he added. It is thought the fruit was brought back to the UK from India.

There were 35 bidders in the end, but it went to a British collector paying a total of £1,416 including auctioneer's fees.
Mr Brettell said the ancient citrus fruit was discovered in the bottom drawer of a 19th century chest salvaged during a house clearance.

Dried out lemon

It is thought to have been a love token and sold for £1,416 after a bidding war

The vendors were sorting through their uncle's possessions and thought the cabinet may be valuable so brought it in.

Mr David Brettell said: "The lemon arrived in an ordinary late 19th century Chinese collector's chest.
"It was right at the back of one of the drawers so we took it out, who knows how long it had been in there for, but I suppose it is not something you would have ever taken out," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-68228491

Newport zesty bidding war sees 285-year-old lemon fetch £1.4K​

Dried out lemon

BBC News, West Midlands

A zesty and unlikely bidding war has seen a lemon that is nearly 300 years old fetch more than £1,000 at auction.

Brettell's Auctioneers in Newport said the initial bid was just £40, but then the bids for what is thought to have been a love token just escalated.

The lemon has inscriptions carved in it stating it was given by Mr P Lu Franchini Nov 4 1739 to Miss E Baxter.

Auctioneer David Brettell said he told bidders: "You are never going to see an object like this at auction again."

"It is completely unique," he added. It is thought the fruit was brought back to the UK from India.

There were 35 bidders in the end, but it went to a British collector paying a total of £1,416 including auctioneer's fees.
Mr Brettell said the ancient citrus fruit was discovered in the bottom drawer of a 19th century chest salvaged during a house clearance.

Dried out lemon

It is thought to have been a love token and sold for £1,416 after a bidding war

The vendors were sorting through their uncle's possessions and thought the cabinet may be valuable so brought it in.

Mr David Brettell said: "The lemon arrived in an ordinary late 19th century Chinese collector's chest.
"It was right at the back of one of the drawers so we took it out, who knows how long it had been in there for, but I suppose it is not something you would have ever taken out," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-68228491
Amazing!

I'm in the process - not very successful so far - of downsizing and getting rid of stuff.

And this is something I've owned for years; I bought it for a fiver at Barrow Hill (a railway depot) Open Day when I was a teenager. Well, an auction house I've contacted has estimated it's worth £250!! Even in that condition.

We'll see - but it's definitely going!!! And hopefully going, going, gone...

It's a big old piece too: 36x12x2in - no metric back then - and weighs a ton. Not literally...

_DSC5632.JPG
_DSC5629.JPG

Last edited:
Back