• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bizarre Auctions

Oh dear -

If you had one of these, would you really sell it on Ebay? Look atthis. It looks like one of those that you get in museum shops. "Your very own Henry VIII style ring!"

Wow...

Too right, Ethelred. I've just finished my first ebay auction, and I'm amazed at how difficult it is to receive payment! I thought paypal was supposed to be easy, but there's some black hole where a percentage of all my money goes too! I'm charged to receive money, I'm charged to put it into my bank... fine, I accept that they need to make some money, but really... £13.50 has just turned into £12!!!

I don't know, ebay is a great place if you know what you're doing and you're prepared to take a bit of a risk. I don't have the experience to sell anything really valuable, but I've sold a lot of stuff straight off that never shifted at all when advertised locally. I even sold a Playstation 2 game at £1.50 more than I paid for it new - very strange.

I'm addicted to it, but I rarely buy anything over a fiver. I've recently been buying deer (small models of), I have no idea why.

JerryB said:
I think such things were actually used to ward off witches (i.e. they were used as protection), not as some sort of 'nasty spell' thing ;)

Can't remember if I've said this anywhere else on the board, but my Mum found a witch bottle in a blocked up chimney when she was doing some renovations on her mill

Bits of Elvis for sale

After 10 days on the eBay auction block, no one posted the minimum $100,000 bid for a purported Elvis tooth, lock of hair and gold record.

That came as a relief to die-hard fan Joni Mabe. She already owns an Elvis wart, and "maybe an Elvis toenail."

"I'd love to have the tooth," said the Georgia artist, who calls herself "Joni Mabe the Elvis Babe."

"Then the wart would have a friend and we could put the King back together in pieces," she said.

Full story

"You don't want to be livin' in no mad as a hellcat place like that" old Mr.Cushing uttered

Mr Cushing? Oh, please.

And I don't trust anyone who types in FULL CAPS.

Haunted items

As a researcher I wanted to run a series of tests on a watch from Washington DC. I was forwarded its history and I took delivery of the said item a week later.
I run the tests, just.
To assume these items are not what they claim may be a little quick off the mark. Have any of you actually run any tests yourself on any other items of similair claim or are you just quick about offering an opinion?

Personally, I find all dolls creepy whether they're officially haunted or not. In fact, I find the phrase "haunted doll" redundant.

Dolls, eughh...thank God I don't have a girl child! Does anyone remember when cabbage patch dolls first came out, there was a spate of people in the States swearing their doll had come to life? One owner woke to find the doll hovering above her bed, accusing her of not looking after it properly. (reported in Lyall Watson, The Nature of Things .And you know what else is wierd? I thought of the cabbage patch thing earlier today, but couldn't for the life of me think where I would post it on the board (too shy to start new threads.) Hadn't been to the ghost thresd for a while, and...voila! Haunted dolly thread. They know we know....

There's a porcelain doll shackled and bound in the downstairs bog because my sister refuses to allow it out...

As a researcher I wanted to run a series of tests on a watch from Washington DC. I was forwarded its history and I took delivery of the said item a week later.
I run the tests, just.
To assume these items are not what they claim may be a little quick off the mark. Have any of you actually run any tests yourself on any other items of similair claim or are you just quick about offering an opinion?

I'm sure the rest of the board would appreciate the results of your tests. What did you conclude?

We are so quick to offer our opinions becuase so many of these claims of haunted items are to push up the price of an otherwise unsellable piece. :hmph: :rolleyes:

Enough said. ;)

While we are on the subject, does anyone remember a woman selling a pair of her "haunted knickers"?? :cross eye

Was it all in my imagination, or some terrible nightmare.

Any E-Bay junkies out there to back me up on this one ? :sceptic:

"You don't want to be livin' in no mad as a hellcat place like that" old Mr.Cushing uttered.

Wasn't that a line from an episode of Scooby Doo?
:rofl:

Inverurie Jones said:
There's a porcelain doll shackled and bound in the downstairs bog because my sister refuses to allow it out...

Does it look like Hamble from Playschool?:eek!!!!:
Don't just chain it up - concrete it in, fer God's sake!

There's a blow-up doll in my brother's bedroom that makes a strange squeaking noise in the night. None of us can figure it out. I think it's haunted. She does have a strange expression, and a wide open mouth, like she's screaming or something.

Have you ever gone in there to investigate?

He hasn't found it unexplainably laying next to him at night has he ;)

Bucket of Water sold for £250

I'm amazed no-one has posted this yet :).

From Auntie Beeb:

A bucket of water for sale on an internet auction site has raised £255 for charity.

Justin Kelly of Bristol put the water on the internet site eBay as a joke but when bids soared he decided to use the stunt to raise money for Oxfam.

More than 20,000 people visited the site during the seven-day auction which closed on Friday evening. A total of 33 bids were received for the "fabulous bucket of Bristol tap water".

Bristol Water has said it will top up the fund with £200 towards the cause - the charity's water project in Sudan.

A week ago the bidding reached £1,220 but the auction had to re-start after being mistakenly shut down. A customer support worker on the eBay site was unaware of the wide publicity surrounding the charity sale and thought it was a hoax.

Mr Kelly, 31, who when the story broke was known only as "juss01" or "Bucketman", said his original intention had been to see if people really would buy anything.

£250? Tell you what, as it's you, I can get you a bucket of Bristol water for £200. Alright then, cutting me own throat, £150, can't take a penny less or strike me dead :D!

Sounds like a scam - I know for a fact that there are a few dodgy buckets of Bristol water that have been diluted with Thames water and even Perrier (perish the thought!) and put on the open market. - only an expert can tell the difference.

Reminds me of the man who advertised that he would sell "absolutely nothing" for 1 dollar... and people dutifully sent him a dollar :D :rolleyes:

And another thing, Mr "cut me own throat" Neville... how big is the bucket and does it come with a guarantee? (wouldn't want any perrier or, gawd forbid, evian creeping in).

Jane.

Any offers on this old bucket of Camelford water? goin' real cheap!

Back