• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bizarre Auctions

Snook25

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Students sell body organs!

I read an article in our student paper this week about a new way to reduce student debt.... by selling body organs for medical students to cut up.

Apparently you get £13,000 for a kidney, and £2000 if a medical student cuts off your finger and then stitches it back on for practice!

Now i though this was just an urban legend - but it must be true - or is it? seems pretty far fetched to me, but hey, sudents will do anything for some dosh!:eek!!!!:

Nah, I can't believe it, although rumour has it that a kidney went up for sale on EBay some months ago . . .

Carole

i heard this one, when i was at uni. the daddy being you get 100k for heaving your head amputated and sewn back on, for medical trials.

I can't imagine that the authorities would allow for this. At least not in the U.S. Someone would throw a fit over that in a darn big hurry I'm sure.

I tried to do a search on Snopes, but the site doesn't seem to be working right.

I remember the kidney on eBay thing, although I never saw the auction and I don't recall off hand if it was real or not. I remember it being on the news, but that doesn't mean it was necessarily true either.

I read an article in either the Guardian or the Observer about the Jesus Christians who are trying to give away their kidneys en masse, to strangers. This is illegal, at least in the UK, you have to know the person you give your kidney too, or else it's assumed there will be money changing hands. They are doing it out of purely altruistic reasons though. Perhaps the kidney on ebay was one of theirs?

250 clams seems pretty reasonable for a dialysis machine, if you need one. Depends on whether it's working properly, I suppose.

Carole

mrchopper said:
bloody hell, see the size of the walrus penis bone!!!!

To quote from the sales blurb: "Did you ever see a walrus without a smile?"

Dunno, they always look like bloody bad tempered things to me!

Carole

When I came downstairs to start unpacking, I was shocked to find the jewelry box sitting in the exact spot on the mantle where we originally found it. I asked my wife why she had picked it out of the trash, but she denied doing it.

They're going to get buyers claiming they're been conned when they don't receive the box aren't they :D

If the owner's so desperate to get rid of it, you'd think (s)he'd give it to a charity shop or simply throw it away . . .

Carole

Wow, next time I sell something there I'll come up with a spooky story to go along with it too.

Witness the haunted... um... teddy bear! Remote control! Atari 7800!

Psssttt...

Anyone want to buy my haunted carrier bag? I got it at Somerfield. It came free with my groceries.

Definitely haunted. By the ghost of, ummmm, Bigfoot.

I'll even throw in a toilet duck, abducted from the planet Waitrose (though now lacking its mysterious chemical inner lifeforce).

Who'll start the bidding at £1000?

If this box was for real I'd want to keep it. It seems to enjoy protecting valuables, so let it! Make it part of the family.

Unless there's something else they're not telling us...

rynner said:
....Unless there's something else they're not telling us...

Like all the little legs that occasionaly appear round the bottom.....

:D

Ghost for sale on Ebay

Following on from the 'haunted painting' for sale on Ebay, check this out - a haunted jar!

Interesting story, but the cemetary photos are faked and not very well. I couldn't see any figures in the first one, the second one has a dark figure that was obviously added, it's feet are way too wispy and don't fit in with the rest, and the third has two very clear double or triple exposures, one next to the grave and one at the foot. They both appear to be the same young man, wearing a turtleneck. :rolleyes:

Seen some daft things for sale on ebay but that takes the cake.

It's bloody funny! :rofl: As if anyone would believe those photos are real.

It reminds me a bit of witch bottles, that you could put someone's hair or fingernail clipping in a jar with urine and rusty nails and cast a spell on them.

On Jun-03-03 at 19:18:42 PDT, seller added the following information:
Due to some games being played by some ******'s, sportshorse, jsinca, and wingnutsmom, NO ONE with a feedback rating of less tha 5 will be allowed to bid on this auction! I meant it when I said this is for serious bidders only!

....anyone with a guilliability rating of 5/5:D

And some fool is going to pay over 15 thousand clams for the p;rivelege of being haunted by something very nasty? If this is a genuine auction item (which I doubt) there are more fools in the world than I thought . . .

Carole

Dansette said:
It reminds me a bit of witch bottles, that you could put someone's hair or fingernail clipping in a jar with urine and rusty nails and cast a spell on them.

I think such things were actually used to ward off witches (i.e. they were used as protection), not as some sort of 'nasty spell' thing ;)

It's now at £337,000. I think perhaps he might have to deal with another non-paying bidder. His last entry is

WARNING: Any one else interfering with this legitimate auction in any way, such as astronomical bids, high bids with bid retraction, or in any other form, will be subject to not only action from Ebay due to rules violation, but are also in violation of Federal Trade Laws concerning interstate commerce. ALL such attempts will be turned over to the FBI for criminal investigation!

Only in America. What an asshole.

Going once... Going twice... Sold! For $50,922 to the man with either a fantastic sense of humour or more money than sense!
Hope he has a big checkbook...

Mind you, it was a nice touch putting in the pictures, especially

"...the one with the what looks like figures in them at the cemetery. I discovered this after turning them in to be processed. I WAS ALONE AT THE CEMETERY THAT DAY!"

Yeah, really spooky. I also like,

"I just want everyone to know that the person with the other"Ghost in a Jar" has nothing to do with mine....note the lack of photos...just someone playing around trying to con you. Mimicry may be the highest form of flattery but they are just riduculous!"

Right, because a picture of a jam jar and a black and white photoshop-doctored shot of a spooky grave with a snap of two badly-dressed youths superimposed onto it lends you so much credibility.

Ah, well, missed my chance now. Guess I'm just jealous 'cause the jam jar from hell, and its accompanying "Black Thing" will never be mine...

p.younger said:
This guy is definitely one can short of a six pack.

if Gary The Gimp Horn 2 is for real, this guy is not short of almost £51,000 either

bidding just closed here

The guy who won the auction has two ratings, both negative for non-payment. Hmmm... I wonder if he'll pay up this time :rolleyes:

Back