• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bizarre Incidents Of Beheading / Decapitation

maximus_otter said:
A man cut off his head with a chainsaw because he did not want to leaving his repossessed home.

David Phyall, 50, carried out the carefully thought out suicide in his housing association flat in Bishopstoke, Hampshire, in July this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3486454/Man-cuts-off-own-head-with-chainsaw.html

maximus otter

Not to trivialize his efforts, but he didn't succeed in lopping his noggin, now did he?
Still, we takes what we can get.

Extraordinary horrible suicides are not a recent sign of the times. I have before me 'Orrible Murder, a 1974 compilation of stories from the Illustrated Police News. It isn't the most useful of publications from a scholarly point of view - no dates given but clearly centred on the 1870s. Self-crucifixions, self-guillotinings and shocking barbarities of all kinds make it compulsively morbid reading. If there were no new shocks that week, they were not above rehashing a tale from centuries before and presenting it with a grisly new plate.

Aeronaut attacked by Crocodile - how's that for a headline!

Oh dear, I really should not have taken it down off the shelf. It is at least honest in its obvious enjoyment of these atrocious stories. More! More! he cried from the comfort of his library! 8)

The thing that i don't understand is why these people have to choose such a gruesome way to kill themselves? I know that they musn't be in their right frame of mind, surely they must think about what other people will discover when they find them? especially a member of their own family.

I remember reading something similar in a book that came free with new scientist. It all had a smack of the UL to it, in retrospect, but the story went - a group of increasingly drunk and testosterone fuelled scandinavian men were taking bets on which body parts they could chop off with a chainsaw (!!!) until one of them won the game by cutting off his own head.

Some people, huh?

H_James said:
I remember reading something similar in a book that came free with new scientist. It all had a smack of the UL to it, in retrospect, but the story went - a group of increasingly drunk and testosterone fuelled scandinavian men were taking bets on which body parts they could chop off with a chainsaw (!!!) until one of them won the game by cutting off his own head.

Some people, huh?

That's the Viking spirit!

Afghan bank robbers behead poisoned guards
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-10849479

Map

Six private security guards have been beheaded during a bank robbery in a usually safe part of northern Afghanistan, police said.

The gang raided a branch of the Kabul Bank in Mazar-e-Sharif, and escaped with nearly $300,000 (£190,000).

Investigators say the robbers struck on Monday night, firing no guns, as the bank was near a police checkpoint.

No militant involvement is suspected, Abdul Rauf Taj, deputy police chief of Mazar-e-Sharif, told the BBC.

"This is a criminal matter," he said.

Officials suspect that an insider was involved in the robbery as the guards' kebabs had been poisoned beforehand.

A senior security officer told the BBC: "It has the hallmark of an inside job. How do you poison the food of guards without someone inside?''

But Mohammad Afzal Karim, head of Kabul Bank in Mazar-e-Sharif, rejected any suggestion a member of staff could have helped the robbers.

Mazar-e-Sharif is the regional capital of Balkh province, which is regarded as one of Afghanistan's most peaceful areas.

The BBC's Bilal Sarwary in Kabul says Balkh's governor, former warlord Attah Mohammad Noar, has been praised for bringing stability to the province.

But this rare and violent robbery will undermine its peaceful reputation, our correspondent adds.

I carried out accident investigation at a triple fatal accident several years ago. The front seat passenger had been decapitated whilst both rear seat passengers died from multiple injuries. What initially I could not figure out was why this woman had lost her head! It was bizarre. The accident occurred when a car was driven at high speed into the rear of a JCB type digger. I could see no sign of anything having intruded into the cab and decapitated her, and no edges upon which she could have sliced her neck through.

However, the pathologist solved the mystery at the post mortem. He noticed the muscles and tissue displayed tearing and stretching signs, plus the skull was shattered at the back.

What he found shocked me. The rear seat passenger had no seatbelt on. She weighed about 23 stone (322 pounds). I calculated impact was about 70 miles per hour. Because of the large weight difference in the vehicles, the car stopped pretty instantaneously, propelling the large rear seat lady forwards. Her head collided with the rear of the front seat passenger, and as she flew over the back of the seat, the momentum of her body was sufficient to rip the front seat passengers head off. We confirmed this by matching the injuries to the front and top of the rear seat passengers skull, with the damage to the decapitated head. Large lady then fell back down and was found in the rear footwell, while front seat lady's head ended up in the front footwell.

No fresh beheadings to report, but...

One has the impression that certain larger individuals don't use seatbelts, possibly because they're uncomfortable.

A very obese woman was killed when her car hit a tree near here about a year ago. Evidence was heard from her family at the inquest about her long-term refusal to use the seatbelt and she wasn't wearing it when she died.

I was once thrown from the back seat of a car in a crash, back when there were no rear seatbelts, and nutted the driver, causing us both unpleasant if minor injuries. Left me with a permanent fat lip. :(
I'd NEVER go without a seatbelt again!

I make a point of refusing to drive if my passengers don't strap themselves in.

Same here. Years ago when I drove a Fiesta, the front seatbelt often got stuck behind the driving seat and I couldn't be bothered to use it. Son 2 noticed this and told me off sternly.

I agreed that he was right and promised to wear it from then on, and I have, even on car parks and stately home drives. ;)

Years ago, while helping to archive old St Albans papers & documents, I came across an account in a coroner’s inquest of the 1810-20’s
A mail coach was passing under the arch of the White Hart Hotel on Holywell Hill, with two top passengers, a husband & wife, the husband ducked & the wife didn’t & was decapitated.
At the time, I was amazed that even a mail coach of it’s day, could travel at sufficient speed to produce such an injury, even more so, that if it was entering from the hill it would need to do a ninety degree turn to enter, or ditto on leaving.
But what sticks with me is the husband’s account, while still obviously traumatised, to the coroner.

Wish we could read that. :(

The woman could've been decapitated at quite a low speed, as the bulk of the coach would create enough momentum, and the arch wasn't going anywhere. I imagine the head would have been sort of crushed and torn off, rather than sliced cleanly.

I've already spent too much time thinking this through.

Mythopoeika said:
I make a point of refusing to drive if my passengers don't strap themselves in.

I do the same and add that if they are killed in an accident, I will have to explain to their relatives why they were not wearing a belt.

You might be dead too though if they fly around the car in a collision and crush you.
Let'em walk! :lol:

FelixAntonius said:
A mail coach was passing under the arch of the White Hart Hotel on Holywell Hill, with two top passengers, a husband & wife, the husband ducked & the wife didn’t & was decapitated.

I've just had a google for that place and it's still there, complete with the arch!!

escargot1 said:
I've just had a google for that place and it's still there, complete with the arch!!

I used to drink there many years ago....

There is a long triangular area behind the Hotel, which is now a car park, (or was when I was last there), leading down to the White Hart Tap, which back in the early 1800's was lined on both sides with stables. The coaches would come up the Old London Road, into the yard, change horses then straight out under the arch, or going south, do that in reverse.

Strangely, I never came across an account of a head on crash under the arch between two mail coaches. Or, as the bar to the left of the arch has or had a doorway that opens out under the arch, a drunk staggering out & getting hit!!!!!

Yup, you'd think those things'd've happened at some time. Perhaps they had lookouts when a coach was due in or out?

I bet the current landlords'd like to know about the beheading, if they don't already. There'd soon be rumours of a mysterious coach and a piercing cry, cut suddenly short... ;)

escargot1 said:
Yup, you'd think those things'd've happened at some time. Perhaps they had lookouts when a coach was due in or out?...........

Given the apparent ego's of some of those old time coachmen, they would have probably ignored the lookout & kept going.

There was an accident at one point, where two coaches were racing line abreast & came to a narrow bridge, result one big accident!!!!

Another bloke had the reputation of never having been stopped by highwaymen. This held him in good stead when he was sacked for being so drunk, he was unable to take a coach out, as a petition was raised to get him his job back.

The petition was successful & he continued for many more years.........

After he finally retired he was asked why he’d never stopped for tobymen?

His reply was: "I never saw e'm".

The suggestion even at the time was that he was habitually so drunk; he could only just focus on putting his coach through!!!!!

Sorry! This has nothing to do with decapitations!!!!!!!!!!

Fascinating anyway, though. :D

Gardener decapitated in freak wood chipper accident
A gardener was killed after being decapitated when a rope around his neck was dragged into a wood chipper.
By Paul Thompson
Published: 11:51PM BST 27 Sep 2010

Miguel Vargas fought to avoid being pulled into the chipper after the rope was fed into the churning mechanism.

As the noose tightened around his neck it decapitated his head from his body.

Other workers made the discovery when they shut down the machine.

The gruesome accident happened in Tampa, Florida, USA, where Vargas, 44, was part of a five man crew trimming trees on a suburban street.

He was feeding branches into the chipper when a rope that had been used by one of the tree trimmers somehow slipped over his neck.

Unable to reach the emergency shut off button, Vargas desperately tried to avoid being dragged head first into the machine where he would have been chopped to bits.

According to his boss Dwayne Wilson the force of the rope looped around his neck was so great that he was decapitated.

Mr Wilson said: "I heard a piece of metal and I ran back to shut the machine down and when I did, I looked and saw him on the ground.

"The force of the wood chipper pulling the rope, Miguel struggled against the rope trying to escape the chipper but was decapitated within seconds."

He said he hit the emergency stop button after hearing a metal clip on the rope grinding against the chipper blades, but by that time Vargas was dead.

Police said Vargas had worked as a tree trimmer for seven years and had four years experience operating the wood chipper.

They have ruled his death an accident.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ident.html

Tenerife tourist resort decapitation

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... esort.html

Jesus Christ! :shock:

A British woman was today decapitated by a madman with a machete on the holiday island of Tenerife.

The crazed killer attacked the 62-year-old without uttering a word in a shopping centre in Los Cristianos, in Tenerife.

Witnesses said he then fled the store with the severed head in his hands, with blood dripping to the ground... etc etc

Wonder what the backstory is for THAT one...

Actually this might fit in Bizarre Beheadings ..

(stu edit - link removed as threads merged)

Mexico deputy prison governor decapitated in Durango
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-13383662

Soldiers stand guard outside a car junkyard neighbouring a vacant lot where a mass grave was found on 10 May, 2011.

The headless bodies were found on the same day as more corpses were discovered at a junkyard

Related Stories

Mexican prison official murdered
Mexico graves yield more bodies

Police in Mexico have found eight decapitated bodies in the northern state of Durango.

Among the dead was the deputy governor of Durango's prison, who had been abducted on Monday.

Gerardo Galindo's head was found next to a wall bearing a threatening message by a local drug gang.

Prison officials are increasingly being targeted by drug gangs, whose jailed members often continue to run their businesses from behind bars.

In February, the security chief of a prison in the northern city of Monterrey was murdered.

His dismembered body was found in a plastic box inside a car abandoned near the prison he worked at.

Officials have not yet identified the remaining seven bodies found in Durango.

Forensic experts also uncovered another eight bodies in mass graves in Durango city, the state's capital, bringing the total discovered over the past month to 196.

Durango state governor Jorge Herrera Caldera said on Wednesday that he thought most of those buried in the mass graves had fallen victim to a "settling of scores" between drug gangs.

The state's murder rate has risen steeply in recent years as rival gangs battle for control of the drugs trade in the area.

Tenerife beheading suspect 'treated in Welsh hospital'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nort ... s-13451961

Jennifer Mills-Westley had retired to Tenerife

Related Stories

Police 'wanted beheading suspect'
Beheading inquiry police thanked

The man accused of beheading a British grandmother in Tenerife had been treated in a psychiatric unit in north Wales, it has emerged.

Deyan Deyanov was reported to be visiting relatives when he was detained for his own safety at Glan Clwyd Hospital's Ablett Unit, Denbighshire.

Last week, Jennifer Mills-Westley, 60, was murdered in Los Cristianos.

Health officials in north Wales said they had had no contact with Mr Deyanov since October 2010.

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, which manages the hospital, said: "The health board can confirm that it provided assistance to North Wales Police in relation to a person detained for his own safety in the summer of 2010.

"The health board has had no further contact with this client since October last year."

It is being reported that Mr Deyanov, 28, was sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

Health officials have given few details, citing patient confidentiality as the reason.

The statement said: "We are currently reviewing all records relating to the case in line with standard clinical procedures.

"We will be co-operating with other statutory agencies but have a duty to protect patient confidentiality and will therefore not be making further statements regarding the case at this time."

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

We are currently reviewing all records relating to the case in line with standard clinical procedures”

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
It is not clear if he was allowed to leave the psychiatric unit after being assessed as safe, or if he absconded.

The Sun reported that Mr Deyanov, 28, a Bulgarian national, was sectioned during a visit to see relatives in the UK and quoted two of his ex-girlfriends claiming he was a heavy drug user.

North Wales Police would not comment but denied one newspaper report that it had built up a profile of Mr Deyanov and his time in the UK.

Mrs Mills-Westley, originally from Norwich, Norfolk, was inside a Chinese-owned shop on Avenida Juan Carlos when she was stabbed and decapitated.

The grandmother of five had been living in Tenerife after retiring from her job as a road safety officer with Norfolk County Council.

Reports from Tenerife suggest Mr Deyanov had previously received psychiatric treatment on the island.

A search and arrest order was issued for Mr Deyanov on 10 May, just three days before the killing.

The BBC's Sarah Rainsford said a magistrate had ordered his arrest in connection with a violent attack.

Mr Deyanov was arrested on suspicion of murder and is now being held at a psychiatric unit in Tenerife.

Mexico drugs: 23 bodies found in Nuevo Laredo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17964451

Mexico's drugs war

Marching on?
Damned lies and statistics
Q&A: Drug violence
Cartoon campaign

At least 23 people have been killed in gruesome circumstances in the Mexican city of Nuevo Laredo, on the US border.

Nine bodies with signs of torture were found hanging from a bridge.

Hours later, 14 decapitated bodies were discovered in a vehicle, police said. Their heads were found in ice boxes dumped outside the mayor's office.

Nuevo Laredo is the scene of a feud between two of Mexico's biggest drugs gangs, who are fighting for control of smuggling routes into the US.

A message left with the hanged bodies said they were members of the Gulf drugs cartel who had been killed by the rival Zetas gang.

Police said they believed the dead were members of a criminal gang, but could not confirm who was responsible.

Pictures showed the blood-stained bodies - some of them bound and gagged - hanged by the neck from the bridge over the main road from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey.

Mexican media reports suggest the decapitations may have been carried out in retaliation for the hangings, but the authorities have not confirmed this.

Mexico's drugs cartels have long been engaged in bloody battles for control of smuggling routes into the US.

Around 50,000 people have died in drug-related violence in Mexico since 2006, when President Felipe Calderon began deploying troops to fight the cartels.

Discontent over the bloodshed has boosted support for opposition parties ahead of July's presidential election.

Back