• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Black And Albino Foxes In Britain

Dickydoubt_7

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I may have posted this question on another forum by mistake so my apologies if I have,but does anyone have any information on albino and black foxes in Britain since c.1840? I have the August 1987 report I read in The Mail on Sunday.

Dickydoubt.

Some might be fur farm escapes? They have all sorts of weird and wonderful fox colours on fur farms (silver, pearl, amber, glacier etc).
I saw a melanistic fox a couple of years ago but it had just been splat on a main road, very mashed or I would have dragged it to the side and taken a pic.

My mother has reported a black fox in the street, locally.
I'll be keeping an eye open, hopefully get a pic. We'll see.

When I were a lad, I used to play 'trekking' (essentially an all day hide & seek game between two teams of kids) in a large woods on the outskirts of Plymouth, Devon.

One day whilst hiding up a tree, being very quiet as to avoid capture, I spotted a small fox padding up the path below me.
It was totally silver in colour and disappeared into the undergrowth several metres away from me.

Now, I wasn't particularly inquisitive in a fortean sense at the age of 8, but as the years have gone by, it stands out as one of the definitive odd occurances in my life so far.

I'm not aware of any fur farms in or around plymouth by the way.

We have black foxes in the wild here in Sweden. Whilst they're not as common as red foxes, they do still get spotted from time to time.

In Australia, we hang albino foxes from the rafters!

(Click here for a small PDF containing a photo of Antony Hamilton's artwork 'Hung white fox and shadow.' NSFW maybe, especially if you dig foxes.)

Vid at link.

Rare black fox spotted in west London garden

A rare black fox has been caught on camera prowling around a garden in west London. It was spotted by Faroz and his daughter Sophia, from Isleworth, who first thought it was a wolf, or a wild dog. The animals are a type of North American red fox with a trait that makes their fur silvery-black. They make up about 0.1% of the UK fox population.

"It was so big, I'd never seen anything like it before. Just pure amazement, really," Faroz said.

The fur of the black fox is dark because of a rare genetic variation, but the campaign group, Black Foxes UK, say sightings have risen across several London boroughs since 2016.

Published2 hours ago
Section BBC News
Subsection London

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-london-56266743

Back