• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Black Dogs?

Thannk you. I love collecting these to watch links on a Libre Office document. When I have an urge to watch summat I'm not stuck for choice. :)

Getting good proofreading is a nightmare. Mistakes always seem to slip through.
Like I said, there was a lot in this book, and I think any decent armchair folklorist or fortean will overlook those issues to absorb the information therein. I read it some time ago and can't remember specifics, but I remember enjoying the book a great deal. I still haven't watched the video.

Dogs

I was reminded of a story a friend of mine told. He was working for Historic Scotland and was on a tour of his new post. Curator of St Andrews Cathedral no less. The bloke he took over from was showing him all the neuks and crannies of rubble and kirk... opening old doors and generally giving him the Full Works tour.
When they came across yet another heavy wooden door set in the boundary wall, when this was opened a dog bounded out and ran at some speed past them. My friend was a little ruffled by this sudden unexpected dog but had put it down to the dog getting locked in by accident maybe the night before. The old curator was standing their crossing himself. Whats the matter my friend asked. The old curator said that the door had not been unlocked in the past 3 or 4 years and there was simply no way it could have gained entry to the room by any other means. And right enough the room in the wall did not have any other means of entry, just four stone walls and a heavy wooden normally locked door.

The dog was not black but white or fair in coloured and he described it as a large long haired dog.

I wonder if their are a lot of Ghost dogs but you only notice them normally if they look large and black like the previous entries

Way back in 2001 an 'Anonymous' poster left the above. It reminds me an awful lot of what happened to the Scottish author Nigel Tranter (1909 - 2000) when he visited Inchdrewer Castle. For reference, Nigel Tranter was best known in Scotland for his historical fiction, but he also wrote more general fiction (usually with a Scottish slant) and non-fiction. One of his best-known non-fiction works is his five-volume work on the The Fortified House in Scotland.

This Tranter started working on as a child; cycling miles around southern Scotland in order to visit old castles and pele towers (and sketching them) before researching their history. It was as an adult, along with his wife, that he visited Inchdrewer to continue this gargantuan task. From the Wikipedia link (above) for Inchdrewer:

Twenty-first century newspaper stories report that the ghost of the murdered George Ogilvy, 3rd Lord Banff, haunts the castle.[18] Nigel Tranter visited Inchdrewer again in the 1970s and a large white dog, which he speculated may have been a Samoyed, bounded out of the castle as he approached it with a local builder. Unable to explain how the dog could have been confined in the castle for seven days, he was later sent a copy of the magazine Vogue, in which it was stated that the castle was "haunted by a lady in the shape of a white dog".[32]

1635500493104.png

From my memory of his account of what happened (my copy of the book is currently in storage): Tranter had contacted the owners of the castle to request that he be allowed to visit and record their home. He was informed that they were to be out of the country at the time of his proposed visit, but that he could contact a key-holder in the nearby village who would grant him access.
Tranter, along with his wife, picked-up the key-holder, drove up to the castle and the key-holder unlocked the door. At this point the large white dog strolled nonchalantly out as if it didn't have a care in the world.
The key-holder was horrified; the castle had been locked-up for a week (or more) since the family had left to go on holiday and the thought of the damage and mess that such a starved and confined dog could cause in that time was shocking. The three of them hurried into the castle but found nothing out of place, and when they returned to the door there was no sign of the dog to be seen in the vicinity.
Tranter only later became aware of the legend of the white dog associated with the castle.

Sorry for the length of the above but, given the similarities to the 2001 post, I thought it might be worth adding it to the thread.

Back