• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Black Stick Man

Stilts have been used in the past by agricultural workers for things like stringing hops and fruit picking. Is it known where the video was recorded and what the land was used for? Maybe some sort of bumpkin re-enactor?

Thanks for bumping this thread, it's a classic. Following some tangents, I came across the following post on page 18 of this Mumsnet thread. The similarities with post 8 on this thread are uncanny.

When I was at university, I lived with 2 other girls, and I've kept in contact many many years later with one of them. We don't catch up very often, but I do remember a story she told me about our flat about 10 years after we moved out and went our seperate ways.

Again, she is a very solid, reliable person and was doing biology at uni. At the time, she had a boyfriend in the same year as us who was studying music - he had his own flat share a bit further from campus but they often used to visit live music bars/drinks promo nights and crash at our place for a few hours until lectures the next morning.

The incident she told me about, and doesn't like talking about even now, is that one morning they were walking down the road from a late night sesh at about 5am in the morning. She maintains that neither of them were anywhere close to drunk the entire evening, although they had been drinking earlier in the night, and she never touched drugs as far as i was aware (then and now).

As they rounded the corner to the house we were sharing, it was dawn - streetlights still on, but getting lighter. Rounding the bend, as they got to next door's gate, my friend noticed something at the other end of the street underneath a streetlamp. It was a figure walking AWAY from them with great big lopes, massive strides, just strolling. Apparently it looked very, very tall and very very thin - cartoon proportions, almost half the height of the lamp post. But no "detail" apparently - she tried to explain it and from what I could gather it was like an outline of a person, there was just blackness where the face, body, clothes, should have been - like an outline, or a shadow. Or a straw man with a circle where the head should have been. But much too thin and tall to be a straw scarecrow.

My friend stopped dead in her tracks, and her boyfriend noticed, asked her what's wrong, and looked to where she was looking.

He stared at it too. According to Ellie (my friend) the thing appeared to pause in its strolling and turn to the side to look around at them - the overwhelming sense of emotion that came from it was a rush of malice. She said it was like a wave of negative emotion came from it. For some reason she said that she seemed to feel as if it was ANGRY about something - that it had been spotted?

It turned a bit more and started coming towards them, and although it was at the other end of the road, it could cover the distance much faster than a normal human because it was so tall and long.

At this, my friend's BF apparently grabbed her hand, ran into our garden, and they frantically started trying to get the keys from her bag. They got inside before it reached our house, but when they looked back at the door after locking it behind them, the 2 panels of misty glass that covered the top half of our door had a shadow twig type figure, like it was looking for them in there. Apparently it stayed there for 15 or 20 seconds, peering in, whilst they cowered in the stairwell holding their breath.

She said she'll never forget the unhuman shape and thinness of the thing, and its stick arms as it peered in the glass. And the malice / feeling that it was very very angry at them for seeing it.

Paranoia of student drunks with too little sleep? Normally I'd laugh and say without a doubt, but I know my friend, and she maintains that she'd barely drunk that night, her and her boyfriend saw the same thing, later collaborated, and she was so freaked out by it that she never came home alone at dawn EVER again (I do remember her doing this, but I thought it had to do with knuckling down for exams!!, looking back).

Thanks for bumping this thread, it's a classic. Following some tangents, I came across the following post on page 18 of this Mumsnet thread. The similarities with post 8 on this thread are uncanny.
That reminds me of a post from some years ago, where the witnesses were walking about in the quiet early hours and they encountered a strange shape that moved with a 'lolloping' gait - which then saw them and tried to chase them.
See here:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/classic-archive-merged-shadowman.1785/post-196541

Last edited:
Back