• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Black Stick Man

Less than one second to cross the road!!!
Scary. :eek!!!!:

Good Lord that was a scary experience !:eek!!!!:
Seeing that would have left me traumatized for life.

Maybe one day all vehicles will be equiped with forward facing video cameras like some police cars are and we can finally get some good video evidence of the weird creatures people see.

Perhaps these things are some sort of fauna that we simply haven't found out anything about, due to extreme cunning and instinct. Perhaps it is on a level similar to that of the 'Black Panther' and the 'Black Dog' reports.

These kind of reports have a charm made out of combining the utterly surreal with the somehow-sympathetic and believable. But one thing that gets me is how they happen to people at random, unexpected (as though you'd expect!) times. I mean, I LOOK, and as I've posted about before, I haven't seen a whole lot of anything I'm willing to count as actual phenomena (vs. sleep deprivation-induced hallucinations for instance).

It would be interesting to see if there are time overlaps in the sightings, though we already have a noon and early morning account. The first, the morning encounter, got me thinking about how the center AM's seem to occupy their own little deminsion. I wonder if shift workers might have more Fortean events to report than day workers.

Hi,
I am new to this message board and enjoy reading the experiences posted here. Anyways, I saved this story on my computer 2-3 years ago:

Stick Indians
By: [email protected]
Not many people have heard of them. No one knows if they truley exsist, but I believe they do. There are reports in the Colville reservation in Washington State, but Colville Natives won't talk about it. I have never personally encountered them...but family members have...and I don't believe they would lie about such phenomena. Anyway. Stick Indians, so I have heard, are extremely tall beings who do not speak in words, but in creaks, howls, and whistles. They are only out at night in the woods of Colville, near Disatell Pass. They live along creaks and streams and have been known to steal fish from fisherman in the area...and people out in the open.
My uncle and his wife's family were camping up in that particular area one night...they had two tents. One for him and his wife, and another for her parents. They were camped near a stream and were fishing all day. That night they heard strange noises... whistles and wierd clicking noises...like that of a human. My uncle stuck his head out of his tent to see what was going on when he saw 4 or 5 extremely tall, and very thin creatures on two legs, over by there fishnets signalling back and forth to each other. My uncle was terrified, but he quickly ran to his in-law's tent and asked them what was going on. The father told him to lie down and shut up. That they were Stick Indians and if they made too much noise they might be attacked. He said no one had ever survived an encounter with them and to just be still. As long as they didn't know they were there they would be fine.
When my uncle came home he was so terrified. He still, to this day, will not go near Disatell pass. If he goes fishing, he goes in the morning and is home at least a couple hours before dark.

kathl33n35 said:
That they were Stick Indians and if they made too much noise they might be attacked. He said no one had ever survived an encounter with them and to just be still. As long as they didn't know they were there they would be fine.

If no one had survived an encounter with them how would any one know about them?

It is interesting that their seems to be an emerging set of characteristics of these things. I don't think they have had the same publicity as "Greys" so it is interesting to note the similarities of independent reports.

I notice the entity described in the link from Guild Navigator also barked like a dog in common with the "Stick Indians". All very odd.

yeah I find the similarities interesting as well....I think I will see if I can find more information on the Native American legends of these things.

Although Black Gibbons aren't native to North America..........

?

spillage said:
Although Black Gibbons aren't native to North America..........

?

Yeah I know what you mean , I just simply meant that if the story I posted has any truth to it, that person stated that certain tribes in Washington had stories about these things. I was hoping to find them ... but no luck so far.

Are these stick indians interdimensional beings or something? I.e., do they have the ability to go off somewhere and hide from us?
If they're a real tribe, surely everyone would know about them by now?

Tell us some more, I'm fascinated.

I have been having a look on Google. The Stick Indians are interpreted as a number of things from a real indian tribe, to a cryptid, to spirits.

http://www.n2.net/prey/bigfoot/biology/fusch.htm

http://www.unfilmable.com/GC_checklist.html

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/2000/1030/Story2.html

There was an arrow-point maker on the right side of the Columbia, three miles below WInquatt. One day this man cut his finger with flint so it bled. He put his finger in his mouth, liked the taste of blood, ate his finger off, then his hand, pulled his flesh from his arms, legs, and body, and ate it all. At last he had only a little bit of flesh left that was below his shoulders on his back, where he could not reach it. He was a skeleton now; nothing but his bones were left, only his heart hung in his body. He went to the next village and ate all the people. They could not kill him, nothing would penetrate his bones.
:eek!!!!:

Photo labeled "Stick Indians" from the 1890s.

http://vilda.alaska.edu/cgi-bin/viewer.exe?CISOROOT=/cdmg21&CISOPTR=642&CISORESTMP=&CISOVIEWTMP=

I think Stick Indian is taken to mean "Indians from the sticks" (as in forest or wilderness) in some contexts.

This puts me in mind of some creatures the aboriginals in the north of Australia believe in called the quinkins. They were supposed to be so thin they could slip between the rocks. There were supposed to be two different kinds, one good and one bad. The bad ones were supposed to lure children away. There was a series of picture story books my children used to have by someone called Roughsey

Petroglyphs

This is my first post on this message board, so please bear with me! Your vB Code frightens and confuses me...

The stories of "Stick Indians" immediately brought to mind the petroglyphs found in the Southwest USA. Visit these sites for some images:

petroglyphs.us/photographs_petroglyphs_Anasazi_NW.htm
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/2004082...phs.us/photographs_petroglyphs_Anasazi_NW.htm

Petroglyph National Monument

So I wonder what came first- the stories of Stick Indians or the petroglyphs??

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. :)

vB code isn't nearly as frightening and confusing as some of the posters. ;)

Thanks for the welcome, Leaferne. Looking forward to the many strange conversations to come!

:)

I used to work in a club and regularly drive 50 miles or so back home in the very early hours of the morning. I was often nodding off at the wheel as I neared home and consider myself overly-aquainted with the concept of hallucination due to sleep deprivation. Thing like mistaking gateposts with decorative balls on top of them for people standing at the side of the road.

But yeah, I do recall an incident where I swore I saw a tall stick-like figure running across the road some distance in front of me. Vanished into hedges. I definitely put this down to hallucination but it's odd that the form of this vision was er... sticky, as the joke (What's brown and sticky? A stick!) goes.

The Black Thing

This seems to be the place to finally tell the of the "black thing", as it seems similar to the original post, and I like the idea of the events being written down in some form.

In 1993 I lived with four other guys in a townhouse while we were in university.

Over the two years we spent there myself and my roomates got to know "the black thing"

Downstairs was the living room, and there was a couch facing the opposite wall where the TV was. Occasionally, as we sat around watching tv, one person would see a small black blob shape, materialize and move from left to right across the room, and disapear before it hit the opposite wall.

This happened on numerous occasions, and though only one person would see it at a time, we all saw it at one time or another. We simply called it "the black thing". And kind of got used to it. There was no feeling of dread, or cold, or anything unusual really. Other than this black blob moving across the room.

We would even have guests come over (this happened twice to two different people), and while sitting there would suddenly say something like "what the hell was that?" We would then find out they had seen a black shape moving across the room, and we told them we knew it was there, and that we just called it the black thing.

A bit wierd, but it definately "happened to me" as well as at least 6 other people in our apartment.

Fantastic link, Pshaw.

That site attributes a lot of the same sort of features to stick indians (I wanted to write stick insects there!) that your classic Olde English elves used to get: misdirection, mischief verging on malevolelence, panic or paralysis induction (cf Pan and elfshot), appearance to lonely travellers, stealing young children, etc.

At the very least, this implies that humans living around woods tend to make up the same kind of myths...

And how about this account from that page:

"I had one other strange experience in these same mountains. It was with the Ste-ye-hah' mah. Two of them came one night and without ceremony shared my blankets. One on either side, I was so wedged that I could not turn. I knew not how they came, nor how they left. No! It was not imagination. It was real, for I was awake and fully conscious of my surroundings. I know no explanation, have no theory to offer in either case of the strange phenomena."

I do: that's classic sleep paralysis by the sound of it, not dissimilar to many cases reported on this very site.

Anyway, there's a creepiness to it all, very like that of them thar elves:

"That was a Stick-Injun crying in the woods." ...Whatever it could be, it was drawing in on me...

Brrr. Makes a shiver run down me spine, so it does.

hi, this is my first post here, so here goes,
a friend of mine has seen these black stick men things as well, however she saw them when she was on some heavy duty painkillers prescribed by her doctor after an operation. She said that they wern't scary as such just a bit weird and they were just walking around the room. the doctor said that the painkillers ( the name of which escapes me ) can produce hallucinations and other things did occur apart from the stick men ( for example on channel 4 there is a soap called ' HollyOaks ' and she was convienced that the people in the soap were having conversations with her to the extent that they were calling her name and stuff ! ).
Personally though the stick men sound absolutely terrifying and i very much hope i never get to see one.

Hi Indigo - welcome to the message board.
Would you find out what those painkillers were, please?
It would be interesting to find out what other hallucinations people have had with them.

The painkiller used was apparently morphine, which does have hallucinatory effects and may well explain why she didn't feel afraid of the stick men as such.
The thing that fascinated me most was where the images came from. My friend hadn't heard about the stickmen appearences people have had and there seemed no link as to why she saw them rather than say pink rabbits or something equally random.

I found the following story on and it reminded me of the black stick men described on this thread:

Location. Elkader, Iowa
Date: February 15 2004 Time: 2300
The witness was returning to her house after finishing a late night farm chore when something caught her eye as she almost reached her door. To her left she saw a "thing" running very fast about 30 yards away from her, not comprehending what she was seeing, she could only describe the entity as looking like a "stick man." It seemed to turn its head over his left shoulder and look straight at her, and then it took off in a sprint towards her front door. Very upset the witness ran inside and locked all the doors. It took her 2 hours to calm down; she began to sob so hard that she started to hyperventilate. She never told anyone, including her family about what she had seen. She felt that the "thing" wanted her to see it, for some unknown reason.
Source: NUFORC
Type: E

Lottsa high strangeness here! Check out stories 1 and 8 also.

black stick men

all these accounts of black stick men,make me think,
i think a lot more research should be done on the subject.
its quite obvious that they are fast,and that in most sightings they seem to not like it when they are seen,its all very strange.tall black thin stick men who can with ease out run a car.
cmon just whats going on here.to tell the truth i find it all very disturbing.

South America seems to have a glut of fortean phenomenon after reading Banniks "Lottsa high strangeness here" link.
I wonder if there is any correlation between cultural beliefs and the frequency of strange and odd occurrences?

I was looking through this thread this morning, and then met my fiance for lunch. We went wandering through the grounds of the Taichung Cultural Centre, and came across an anamorphic mosaic; basically a distorted picture which can only be viewed correctly when reflected in a curved mirror/surface (go here for a more detailed explanation).

I was amusing myself looking at my reflection in the reflective cylinder when this thread came to mind. I was a stick person! Made me wonder if, assuming these beings are 'real', their appearance is warped somehow by dimensional differences.

Just a passing thought.

Mind you, when I raised my arms, they were laughably short. Hmm.

We see loads of stickmen around here but we just call them smack heads! :p

Back