• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Black Stick Man

The Australian Mimi

The Mimi!

Some more here.

Also, a little excerpt from the chapter on them in A Field Guide to Demons, Fallen Angels, and Other Subversive Spirits:

Never seen by modern travelers, they were glimpsed by Aboriginal medicine men long ago when people still see spirits. They are assumed to still inhabit the rocks, upon which they have left images of themselves and their activities. All Mimi have keen hearing and can detect when a human wayfarer is nearby. When the Mimi hear someone coming they run to the rocks, blow on them, and the rocks open up like magic doors to allow the Mimi to enter and hide. Certain noises that one hears in this area are the concealed Mimi moving around inside their homes. Some Mimi are friendly to humans, many are antagonistic, and none are dependable.
:D

shambles said:
I was looking through this thread this morning, and then met my fiance for lunch. We went wandering through the grounds of the Taichung Cultural Centre, and came across an anamorphic mosaic; basically a distorted picture which can only be viewed correctly when reflected in a curved mirror/surface (go here for a more detailed explanation).

I was amusing myself looking at my reflection in the reflective cylinder when this thread came to mind. I was a stick person! Made me wonder if, assuming these beings are 'real', their appearance is warped somehow by dimensional differences.

Just a passing thought.

Mind you, when I raised my arms, they were laughably short. Hmm.

That's an interesting thought. If something crosses into our dimension from another dimension, what would it look like? Indeed, what would we look like to a creature from another dimension?

eccentric said:
This sounds similar to the "dancing thing" in another thread. Both are tall black straight bodied things.
Here it is. Just like the Mimi, the thing Mondo_Kane describes likes to dance.

if any one finds a picture of something that even looks like a stick alien please let me know.i have a vast digi data base of fortean pictures and a photo of a stick man would be pure gold for my collection :yeay:

zed9~ said:
if any one finds a picture of something that even looks like a stick alien please let me know.i have a vast digi data base of fortean pictures and a photo of a stick man would be pure gold for my collection :yeay:

There seems to be the shadow of a giant stick man (or perhaps just a giant shadow of a regularly sized stick man) in the photo at http://www.googleearthhacks.com/dlfile1 ... irport.htm

The stick men remind me of certain characters in the Yellow Submarine movie . They are improbably tall thin gentlemen wearing suits and top hats , and they drop apples on peoples heads turnig them to stone.

A few of the stories do sound like sleep paralysis (something I have experienced myself - once I woke up in the middle of the night and saw ghostly faces all around the room , then something lunged at me and it really felt like it clawed into me , but of course there were no scratches. My explanation was that I was exhausted and my mind was playing tricks with me.)

Another possibility is panic . We all suffer from panic sometimes . Often (again normally through the night ) , I get an unusual thought in my head and cant get rid of it , for example , I might think there is a ghost standing halfway up the stairs (totally irrational , I know) , and when I go to check , I find that I am rooted to the spot . And the really scary thing is that there was never anything there in the first place - the real problem is my mind playing tricks with me again.

However , I think if I were to see a stick man during daytime , or at a time I am very relaxed , it would freak me out big time , so good luck on all of you who have been so unfortunate.

Dyovl zMen Vs. Shadpw Men

I'm confused by the posts here which seem to treat "shadow men" and "stick men" on a one-to-one basis.

To me they are quite distinct entities.

"Shadow People" strike me as rather ethereal in nature (although probably not ghosts in the usual nature of that word.) The best hypotheses I've yet heard to explain their existence is that they are quite literally the "shadows" thrown into our world by people moving normally through other dimensions or times. The inhabitants of those worlds may very well regard us as THEIR "Shadow People."

"Stick People" on the other hand seem much more CRYPTPZOOLOGICAL in nature. They seem much more "solid" than the "shadows" and to be markedly INSECTOID, which the "shadows" in general are not.

spillage1 said:
We see loads of stickmen around here but we just call them smack heads! :p

Oi.., I resemble that remark!
Okay, only partially.
I'm a smackhead and I'm fat.

This months FT magazine has an IHTM about a black stick/shadow person...like many of the other expiriences here this one was quite an animated scary expirience...Its strange in recent times so many people have come forward with stick/shadow stories yet they seem to remain a very niché phenomena.

Shadowman or Stickman? Or just a very thin alien?

Location. Ivanovo, Russia
Date: January 1 2004
Time: 0100A
The main witness and two friends were celebrating the advent of a new year, but had only drunk a little bit of champagne and were out walking the streets. The men suddenly noticed a large orange sphere that seemed to descend and approach their position. The sphere then hovered above some nearby fir trees. As the men stared at it, the main witness looked around and spotted a strange "person" some meters away, which immediately he realized that it was not normal or human. It had what appeared to be a "snout" and was staring at the witness in a mocking grin. It then turned sideways and the witness was stunned to see that completely flat in appearance, like it had been run over by an asphalt roller. At this time the witness felt a strong invisible wave that struck him and knocked him down against the icy ground. As he got up the sphere and the strange humanoid had disappeared he turned to his friends, who apparently had not seen the humanoid but saw the orange sphere.

HC addendum
Source: X-Libri UFO Russia, quoting "Chronometer" Magazine
1-13-2004
source

I LOVE andyshh's story, i read it in FT and i still close my eyes when going near the window at night, just in case i see it. Won't be persuing any books in case i die of fear.

For what it's worth (and that's probably very little) the phrase "Black Stick Man" (sometimes "Blackstick Man") seems to have first gained currency in United States jive talk around 1938-1939 during the height of the Big Band era. The phrase seems to have become moribund even before America's entry into World War Two.

"Black Stick Man" referred to such notable "hot" and swing clarinet players as Benny Goodman, Jimmie Noone, Artie Shaw and Jimmy Dorsey.

All these great stories of sightings are really interesting but has anyone heard them? Don't these things make noises?

mooks out

Is there any link to black eyed kids etc.

Sorry to believers, but am bloooooooody sceptical on these things.

Black sticks or something more human?

Greyalien's quotation held that:
large orange sphere that seemed to descend and approach their position. The sphere then hovered above some nearby fir trees. As the men stared at it, the main witness looked around and spotted a strange "person" some meters away, which immediately he realized that it was not normal or human.

The witness turned around from the light and saw this figure: behind him? Directly aligned with him and the light - his own shadow perhaps; thin and attenuated due to the light flowing around him?
Its movements may have been due to his own unconscious movements.

I can't explain the snout and the grinning though - if he saw them at all and didn't just imagine them...

The sphere? Ball lightning maybe...

My best freind saw a giant stick man once. She was about eight years old and was playing around on a local field with a friend when they both saw this flat black giant stick man!! He got down on one knee and raised his stick hat. They were both terrified and ran. She has told me this story a couple of times as it has always really freaked her out. When I showed her this posting it freaked her out so much she was nearly sick! :splat:

Here Sticky, sticky sticky...!

Bah, I wish I could see one of these guys - some people have all the luck.

Mind you, I'm not saying I want to turn a corner and bump right into one :D

Hi To All

I have just been reading this thread with interest as about two years ago I posted a story - though not fiction obviously, on here about an experience my husband had had at work which seems to tie in with these other stick men experiences!

He was a shunter on the railway and had just gone to the cabin at about 4.00am for a break when he heard dragging loud footsteps following him.

Now this cabin and rail yard is in the middle of nowhere - fields all around no a soul to be seen and it is spooky enough in the daylight but my hubby is not one to scare easily and so he thought nothing of it imagining it was just a fox or escaped pig (?) or something.

Inside the cabin though he was suddenly overcome with this awful sense of foreboding and fear as he had lay down for a quick ten minutes nap between trains and suddenly he heard the footsteps right outside the door.

It was a full moon and so the window was illuminated and as he crouched on the bed in terror he distinctly saw a weird shape passing the window. He described it as like somebody being bent over walking with their arm bent holding onto the window ledge. Nothing wrong with that, except that the 'body' was stick like and brown and the arm was like a twiglet to phrase him - like a knobbly brown branch bent at the elbow!

The door handled turned and hubs nearly fainted with fear but then suddenly the breathing stopped and he just felt it was safe again - he ran to the door - bearing in mind that the vista is so that you can see anybody walking away for quite some distance. It had been a matter of seconds since the breathing and door rattling had stopped but there was nobody to be seen all around - whatever it was had just vanished into thin air!!

To add a foot note to this story he later that week had to ride on one of the trains with a driver for a mile or so up the line and this particular driver used to always lock the doors to the cab - none of the others did as it is in the middle of know where as stated.

Hubby asked him why he always locked the doors and received a strange long look from the driver who asked Hubs why he asked. He being macho laughed it off and said no reason and the driver just answered that strange things happened at night around them parts - I wonder what he had experienced?

Hubby still gets a shiver when he thinks of that night and cannot explain it at all!!

If I see one I'm going to first take a picture of it, then send the picture to someone and go fight it. Whatever happens to me at least there's the picture.

If you think I'm joking, I may assure you that I am not. I fully intend to investigate their reality in the most immidiate and physical way possible.

DaVe7 said:
If I see one I'm going to first take a picture of it, then send the picture to someone and go fight it. Whatever happens to me at least there's the picture.

If you think I'm joking, I may assure you that I am not. I fully intend to investigate their reality in the most immidiate and physical way possible.

You are Buffy and I claim my £5.

DaVe7 said:

Im right there with you man.

I just found a reference to stick men in an old SF story:

BEACHHEAD
by Clifford D. Simak

[...] ‘What Waldron and I saw,’ and Dickson, ‘looked humanoid.’
Decker squinted at the biologist. ‘Sure of that ?’ he asked.
Dickson shook his head. ‘The seeing was poor. Could not be absolutely sure. Seemed to me there were two or three of them. Matchstick men.’
Waldron nodded. ‘Like a picture a kid would draw,’ he said. ‘One stroke for the body. Two strokes each for arms and legs. A circle for a head. Angular. Ungraceful. Skinny.’
‘Graceful enough in motion, though,’ said Dickson. ‘When they moved they went like cats. Flowed, sort of.’

[...]The native was humanoid, but he was not human. As Waldron and Dickson had said, he was a match-stick man, a flesh and blood extension of a drawing a four-year-old might make. He was black as the ace of spades and he wore no clothing, but the eyes that looked out of the pumpkin-shaped head at Decker were bright with a light that might have been intelligence.

[...]There was nothing in the thing he caught, nothing that could be put in words, but there was an alienness, as a smell is alien. There was a non-human connotation that set one’s teeth on edge.

I was immediately reminded of this thread.
Now where did he get that idea from?

HenryFort said:
DaVe7 said:

Im right there with you man.

Yeah. I bet these matchstick-b'stards are Commies...

theyithian said:
Yeah. I bet these matchstick-b'stards are Commies...

Commies? But the ones I've encountered keep handing me religious tracts and inviting me to services at "the Hive."

OldTimeRadio said:
Commies? But the ones I've encountered keep handing me religious tracts and inviting me to services at "the Hive."

Not those Jack Chickcomic book ones are they? :shock:

Back