• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Black Stick Man

Re: Stickmen in mediums' autobiographies?

Tangent7 said:
He seemed to be made out of the trees and stone walls and buildings and meadows.

Interesting...and I think I know what you mean....

A few years back at a party with some friends I was offered Salvia. Having never done it before, I was willing to give it a try. A couple seconds after inhaling, the strangest, most indescribably feeling overcame me. It felt like I was half in this world, half in another.

Anyways, when I looked at the wall some distance in front of me, all I could see was a giant man's head, somewhat 2D. The killer thing here is that he was "made" of the various objects on or near the wall (a stereo shelving unit, a poster, a lamp, etc.), but was very distinct; not like a mosaic, but like an actual head.

I can only describe it as my perspective being skewed in a way that is difficult to comprehend. As if in my normal reality my mind seperated this man's head into component parts, but in that distinct, alternate view, it really was a man's head, and the components were merely virtual.

Mercury Crest,
Can you elaborate on the whole "doing salvia" concept? My friend and I both have good sized patches of it growing in our yards and recently she received a warning from our city that it was a dangerous substance and that we should limit its spread. Do you smoke it?

it's salvia divinorum, not sage, they're talking about, i guess. sage tastes good with chicken and is legal. and doesn't give you a high, in normal doses
as for the reports from tangent7 and mercurycrest, and as a pareidolia paranoid myself, may i suggest the term "arcimboldo effect"?

http://nsm.uh.edu/~dgraur/Images/Arcimboldo.water.jpg

Well, I've smoked the concentrated stuff that you can buy at smoke shops. I've done it twice and both times were stranger than the strangest thing you can imagine. I don't recommend screwing with it for too long as I don't know the lasting effects.

One interesting thing is, when I smoked it, I couldn't shake this definitive feeling that I was leaning so far to the left that I was about to fall over. I was actually standing straight up.

As far as I know, there are different plants that fall into the salvia category, but aren't the kind you smoke. Not too sure on specifics, but Salvia Divinorum is what you buy in shops.

Ginoide-Not sure where "Sage" came from...did I miss a post? That picture is somewhat like what I meant, but objects lose their sense of distance and become a homogeneous whole, as opposed to a picture made out of other pictures. In your picture, I can easily distinguish both the entire picture and the elements making it up.

Now imagine those elements disappearing and only the face remains. Also, imagine that when the face disappears and the elements remain, they look nothing like the face. It's an either/or kind of thing.

Having just looked up "pareidolia", I guess that's similar. It's kinda hard to say.

mrpoultice said:
Tangent7 your story really does tally with the previous one. You wouldnt be able to give a very rough location of where this was would you?

I am going to see if I can chase down the other "Betty Shine or Doris Stokes" story and see if that gives a location as well.

Mr P

I was in upstate new york, USA, approximately 60 miles southwest of Albany near the small city Oneonta.

If you look at some ancient cave paintings, people are represented as stick figures. Perhaps these encounters with stick people in modern times are connected to ancestral memories of stick figure paintings or the ancient people that they represented?

Well, at least we now know what Stick Men do when they're not scaring the hell out of people! I suppose even they need to relax sometimes...

Black Stick Man

I was thinking about this thread last night and a vague memory came back to me.

I think there was an advert on TV in England, late 1980's, featuring a stick man painted on a wall which came to life and started walking down the high street. All I can remember was that it was very tall compared to everything else in the street and it walked from left to right on the screen. It lolloped along also (as described in previous posts), quite gangly but smooth and bendy at the knees. If I remember rightly the wall wasn't red bricks but brown.

I have no idea what the advert was for, nor if it was even real. I just seem to have a hazy memory of it. Anyone else remember it?

Now you've mentioned that ad on TV I too vaguely remember it....unfortunately, like you I can't remember what on earth it was for. That's bug me now....someone please remember! :?

I remember an ad like that. Didn't the stick man get on a bus at some point?

I saw something similar to a stick man about 3 years ago. It was late at night and I was on my own. It was too hot to sleep and I wasn't the least bit tired so I just pottered about with the front door wide open to let a breeze through the flat. As I went to walk into my hall I saw what I can only discribe as an outline of a person walking towards my bedroom - the outline looked like it was made up of white tape. This figure seemed to be not much taller than myself, so about 5ft 5. It really made me jump, and as I cried out it disappeared. My first thought was that someone had got into the flat through the open door, so I began to check room to room, which for a small flat didn't take long, nothing was found. It then dawned on me what I saw and no living person looks that way. It was as if I'd caught whatever it was taking a stroll through my flat.

It Happend to Me

:D Just last month I had an experience.It was Sat.,June 7th.I drove up Farm Road 3009 here in Schertz to my local Walmart to get a few things before I went to the San Antonio Botanical Gardens and the movies.
Well I bought my kitties their cat food and a few other things.To go home,I went down the Interstate 35 access road and crossed over the highway,and drove down Schertz Parkway. When I got near Weiderstein Road,I just happend to glance down the road and saw the strangest thing.It was this tall solid black humanoid figure,and crouching next to it was another black humanoid shape.It was as if the one figure was trying to catch it's breath,and the other was watching for any cars coming down the road.
This figures were solid black,no features,and reminded me of the figures they have on crosswalk signs saying walk.
I wasn't sure what I was seeing,and thought of turning around and going back to see if they were still there,but remembered i had some frozen tv dinners with me, so I just went home.
This was around 8:30 am or so.
Haven't seen it since. By the way, there are no houses on this stretch of Weiderstein Road. More towards where the road joins Farm to Market Road 1518,there are homes, but not in the area I saw the black figures.
There are deer,raccoons,skunks and other animals around there,and these were no animal.

I think I've found what may be the earliest mention of a stick figure on these boards here.

Not really first hand.....BUT, I have heard of two accounts, one from a friend, who have seen stick men at night. The person who was of pipe cleaner proportions, and only about 3 ft tall, was standing by a verge at night. Caught in the headlights briefly, the figure was startled and leaped into a hedge. My friend had a female companion with him who was quite affected be this. She will not talk about it till today. Either this is because she does not want to lie....or there IS a population of 'strangers' in our land !!

My god, what a lovely world !

KayeOttic said:
spillage1 said:
We see loads of stickmen around here but we just call them smack heads! :p

Oi.., I resemble that remark!
Okay, only partially.
I'm a smackhead and I'm fat.

off topic, but should you be telling people this? :confused:

Don't worry, this is the Internet we are all anonymous friends who will never meet! It's like a big Jeremy Kyle type family :D

Anywhoo back on topic... I am kicking myself as while exploring a dusty back avenue of the web a few weeks back I stumbled on a really early (internet wise) account of one of the "pipe cleaner" variants on a site.

I didn't link it here, as I was off doing other things and didn't have the time. I have since cleared my cache a week back and have lost where I saw the bloody thing…

When I first started going on the FT message board around 2003-ish (under the name of cat simon), this was one of the first IHTM stories I read, and its always remained one of my favourites. I've been away from the board for a while, and whats grabbed my attention that from reading the opening post, tomorrow is the 30th ANNIVERSARY of this event!
I wonder if its crossed the original poster's mind, and what, if anything, he'll be doing to comemorate it!

I've just discovered and read this thread and find it absolutely fascinating. The image I keep remembering is that of a character from Rupert Bear called (I think) Raggety who was a stick creature Rupert discovered in a tree. I remember finding it quite disturbing when I read it as a child.

rushfan62 said:
I've just discovered and read this thread and find it absolutely fascinating. The image I keep remembering is that of a character from Rupert Bear called (I think) Raggety who was a stick creature Rupert discovered in a tree. I remember finding it quite disturbing when I read it as a child.

Oh, I remember that. Raggety was a bit of a nuisance, if I remember correctly.

rushfan62 said:
Raggety who was a stick creature Rupert discovered in a tree. I remember finding it quite disturbing when I read it as a child.
I'm not surprised!...

Rupert.jpg

Yeah Ronson8 thats him, he was a tree troll apparently. Trolls are, as we all know, creatures from northern European folklore. If the stick creatures have been around for as long as has been suggested, did the artist who drew Raggety base his depiction on folklore at all? Are the stick people trolls?
Just a thought.

Dear all,
I have some apologies to make, for I think my significant other may be a/the "stick man" you speak of. Here's why.

-He's about 6 foot and unnaturally skinny.
-He's a filthy goth, and will only be seen in tight black gear
-Due to a condition, he walks with what can only be described as a "lolloping" motion, and "flails around" a bit more than usual.
-Gets awkward and behaves strangely when frightened.
-Not the most careful of people when crossing roads.
-Can run like the wind.
-Communicates using a series of grunts (!)
-Walks alone a lot, frequents roadsides and dark/wooded areas. In fact, we were there together just now preparing for a bonfire, collecting... sticks! This is, in fact, where I began to wonder about the similarities.

In fact, now that I think about it, a brief, nocturnal encounter with one of my my odder friends might be the cause of more than one report of paranormal activity...[/list]

The first one looks like stop motion, the second one is just weird!
Both look like the stick men we've been discussing on these pages but its a pity its always got to be viewed as UFO related.

Here comes gullible me...these are great!
However I find the first more convincing than the second. As if someone had seen the first one and tried the same "creature" in another setting.
I like it because its new. Even if its fake, it seems to get our mindset away from the boring old farty "greys"...
Stick men, excellent!
:wow:

I agree that the first one looked convincing - I have no idea what those creatures might be. It's such a shame they didn't present that video at all well. It was much too shaky and had pixellation.

The second video - I thought it might perhaps have been a large snake rearing up and then backing away from the people slowly. It was certainly strange, whatever it was.

Back