• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Black, Swirling Mass

Sounds like what I say on at least half a dozen occasions but wish there was an answer to what it is ?
it is odd isn't it? There was - if I remember rightly - another post a few years back about a similar swirling mass as well. I'll try and look it up if I can remember what the thread was called.

it is odd isn't it? There was - if I remember rightly - another post a few years back about a similar swirling mass as well. I'll try and look it up if I can remember what the thread was called.
Please do that be great as I have been trying to get to the bottom of it since 1990 and nothing no wiser and even tried to Hypnosis but that didn't work.

Hi, not wanting to discount your experience and I realise your girlfriend felt the object flick her hair, but do you get migraines? The picture you said resembles what you saw, and your description resembles the visual disturbances I have had when suffering migraines. Did you notice a headache of any sort after the experience?

Hi, not wanting to discount your experience and I realise your girlfriend felt the object flick her hair, but do you get migraines? The picture you said resembles what you saw, and your description resembles the visual disturbances I have had when suffering migraines. Did you notice a headache of any sort after the experience?
Only tools suffer migraines

Good Morning Mr Longfoot!

I do not suffer with migraines (except when hungover) :)

I loved this show as a kid and the start of the theme tune got you but if you jump to 11.00 its quite similar but smaller to what I saw.

I was perusing an old thread and came across this post, which seems somewhat similar to what is being discussed here... is this yet another example perchance?

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...thing-ever-to-happen-to-you.38959/post-911212

Yes, very similar to what I saw.

I note how she describes it as a moving tangle of black thread, with black lines radiating from it. Which is pretty much how I'd describe what I saw, only the lines were more swirly.

Yes, very similar to what I saw.

I note how she describes it as a moving tangle of black thread, with black lines radiating from it. Which is pretty much how I'd describe what I saw, only the lines were more swirly.
This reminds me of something that a good friend of mine experienced a few years back.
She woke up in the morning and sat up in bed, only to see a kind of black 'web' in front of her that dissipated very quickly into a small puff of black threads. It all happened so fast, she didn't have time to register what it was - but it was very close to her face.

Your friend's experience in turn reminds me of something that I've experienced, but it has a more prosaic explanation. I'm sharing it to help people discriminate between the ordinary and the truly Fortean.

In my 50s, I started waking up some mornings with shadowy, tentacled blobs in the middle of my visual field. It was a little alarming, as I didn't have health care at the time (I am American, after all), and I didn't know what they were. I entertained possibilities from the onset of macular degeneration to hovering astral parasites like the ones Michael Harner warns against in his book The Way of the Shaman. I couldn't figure out what they were. They usually faded away pretty quickly. They did NOT dissipate into puffs of threads, or even look like tangled threads, but faded gently, and looked like irregular blobs with straggly tentacles.

When I was finally able to talk to an optician about this, she told me it was a sign of my age, dehydration and dry eyes. Nowadays I drink plenty of water, and use eye drops when I wake up and when I go to bed. Problem solved.

A bat or a very disorientated small bird? I work nights and disorientated birds, (I'm guessing woken from sleep), tumble and flap about it a very peculiar fashion. The first time I saw it I thought it was like a mini version of the Grim Reaper from The Frighteners! Actually quite freaky, I think I posted about here way, way back.

Reading this has made me wonder about the experience I had a couple of days ago.

In the run up to paranormal activity I experience, which is usually relatively minor, I often get woken multiple times by voices right by my ear, often calling my name or a name of some sort. This happened on the preceding 3 nights and on the night in question I was getting tired out by it!

Then, I awoke suddenly and opened my eyes, allowing them to adjust. I then saw a fuzzy black-grey sphere, about 20cm across, slightly lighter than the back ground blackness in the room, sort of a dark grey colour but neither shiny nor matte, I suppose satin? it just stayed there at around 2ft from the floor. I moved my head around to check I wasn't imagining it and it stayed put. I then decided to kick my leg at it to make it go and I turned on my phone light - of course, nothing there!

I have tried to reproduce the conditions to see if I was interpreting something in my room but to no avail.

Not especially scary but just gave me a bit of a shock at the time. It was interesting to read similar accounts.

Reading this has made me wonder about the experience I had a couple of days ago.

In the run up to paranormal activity I experience, which is usually relatively minor, I often get woken multiple times by voices right by my ear, often calling my name or a name of some sort. This happened on the preceding 3 nights and on the night in question I was getting tired out by it!

Then, I awoke suddenly and opened my eyes, allowing them to adjust. I then saw a fuzzy black-grey sphere, about 20cm across, slightly lighter than the back ground blackness in the room, sort of a dark grey colour but neither shiny nor matte, I suppose satin? it just stayed there at around 2ft from the floor. I moved my head around to check I wasn't imagining it and it stayed put. I then decided to kick my leg at it to make it go and I turned on my phone light - of course, nothing there!

I have tried to reproduce the conditions to see if I was interpreting something in my room but to no avail.

Not especially scary but just gave me a bit of a shock at the time. It was interesting to read similar accounts.
Sounds like what I used to see but mine was swirling within.

Then, I awoke suddenly and opened my eyes, allowing them to adjust. ...

Composer:

Just so we're clear ... Did the voice(s) wake you on the occasion when you saw the sphere? I can read it to mean either they did as usual or they didn't.

Composer:

Just so we're clear ... Did the voice(s) wake you on the occasion when you saw the sphere? I can read it to mean either they did as usual or they didn't.

Hi, thanks for asking, no but they had been earlier the same evening but at this exact moment I just woke with a start.

Thanks

Great post and thanks for sharing your intriguing experience

Reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago when I was in the kitchen of a Backpackers’s hostel. It was late evening and I was alone when I felt something brush over my left shoulder and touch my hair as “it“ travelled from behind me to in front of me. There was nothing visual and can absolutely rule out birds, bats or large insects as the small kitchen doors were closed. I didn’t feel afraid, just thought it was a bit cheeky. and after my initial surprise and quick look around I was just amused

Last edited:
Welcome to the Board, Mr. Spagooter.

My guess would be that the UFO was a bat. l experienced one being trapped in my bedroom back in the early Nineties, and can testify to its speed and sudden, erratic changes of direction. lt could seem to vanish, based on how swiftly it altered course.

maximus otter

Edit to add a video giving some slight idea of the experience:

m.o.
I was thinking a bat too. My half brother screamed one night. We went up there there was a bat flapping about in the shadows. Step bro then put it in a dark place. We released it the following night.

I've done an image search on google for ball lightning and I found something that looks almost exactly like what I saw. What I saw was more 'tendril-y' but this is as close as i've found.

However what I saw was jet black, silent and had no odour. If this was indeed some form of localised lightning, surely it should have set my ex's head on fire as it touched her?! (I can dream :) )
Maybe a huntsman spider leaping

Back