• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Black, Swirling Mass

How far was your girlfriend's back from the wall visible behind her? In other words, how much open space was there between her (her back) and the wall?

Had the object already disappeared before your girlfriend showed any reaction (e.g., asked what had flicked her hair)? Or did she exhibit any sort of reaction during the brief time it was hovering / flying around her head?

Do you recall how she had her hair tied back into the ponytail? Was she using an elastic band, or something else (e.g., a hair tie; hair clip; barrette)?

Mr. Spagooter: Next line of questioning ...

This occurred in January, between 1800 and 2100 local time. This means it was almost or totally dark outside.

What light source / sources were in the bedroom, and where were they positioned relative to you and / or your girlfriend?

Were there any windows in the bedroom? If so - where were they located relative to you and / or your girlfriend?

The room was lit with a lamp I believe as I remember there being softer lighting than a usual ceiling light. Again, if my memory serves me correct, this would have been situated to my left on a bookcase against the wall (fairly high up). The only window in the room was to my right hand side. Curtains I'm assuming would have been drawn due to it being dark outside but I don't remember this detail exactly.

How far was your girlfriend's back from the wall visible behind her? In other words, how much open space was there between her (her back) and the wall?

Had the object already disappeared before your girlfriend showed any reaction (e.g., asked what had flicked her hair)? Or did she exhibit any sort of reaction during the brief time it was hovering / flying around her head?

Do you recall how she had her hair tied back into the ponytail? Was she using an elastic band, or something else (e.g., a hair tie; hair clip; barrette)?

There would have been a space of around maybe half a metre from her back to the wall? From memory, she didn't react to it at all until her ponytail moved. It would have been at best, on the edge of her peripheral vision where it appeared just off her right shoulder.

Her hair would have been tied with an elastic tie (weirdly enough I can remember this as she always used them as opposed to anything else).

It was very similar to the image top right. I would describe it as almost having a slight gaseous quality along with this - almost mini-planet like. When it materialised out of thin air, it was initially hovering, it jumped at high speed to the point at her ponytail and then above her head.

I remember seeing exactly this as (roughly) a five year old. I'd had a nightmare and got into my parents' bed and this 'swirl' hovered above me between me and the bedroom light above (which was on). It was terrifying and accompanied by a mumbling, insistent but indistinct vocalisation. It started to descend towards me and I became more scared and then I don't recall anything else other than a sense that my parents were trying to fend it off in some kind of psychic way. When I spoke to my mother about it in the morning she humoured me but clearly knew nothing about what I was on about.

This is a very interesting report/experience.
There was a somewhat similar report a LONG time ago on this forum of a black dancing blob that appeared and, I believe, got entangled in somebody’s hair. I seem to remember there being a buzzing as of angry bees also. I’ve been searching but haven’t found the post yet, but I will keep looking. Do any other old-timers remember this?

My guess is that there is an animal unknown to science, which you saw. A sort of "Airborne Jellyfish", but which is not a fish.
Wasn't this, on a perhaps grander scale, the subject of n FT article a few years ago hypothesising that UFOs are in fact come kind of living creatures that occupy the air as fish do the sea. I don't know if that idea was ever taken up but it intrigued me and keeps creeping back into my mind while watching that Unidentified tv series about the TicTac UFO incident.

More esoterically the Islamic notion of jinn (and fairies in the west I guess) is that they are very much of our world, sharing the same space as us, just somehow unseen as a rule though they can seemingly see and play mischief with us.

The sense of being physically touched by an unseen something is very common in presumed ghost encounters. I've had and reported it several times on here, though no squiggly balls of energy were seen. Perhaps if someone were standing watching me they'd have seen something floating behind me.

Last edited:
Wasn't this, on a perhaps grander scale, the subject of n FT article a few years ago hypothesising that UFOs are in fact come kind of living creatures that occupy the air as fish do the sea. I don't know if that idea was ever taken up but it intrigued me and keeps creeping back into my mind while watching that Unidentified tv series about the TicTac ufo incident.
This is the central thesis of The Cosmic Pulse of Life by Trevor James Constable, published in 1975.

See Also:
Trevor James Constable (Ethereal Sky Creatures; Living UFOs)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ble-ethereal-sky-creatures-living-ufos.68050/

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't this, on a perhaps grander scale, the subject of n FT article a few years ago hypothesising that UFOs are in fact come kind of living creatures that occupy the air as fish do the sea. I don't know if that idea was ever taken up but it intrigued me and keeps creeping back into my mind while watching that Unidentified tv series about the TicTac UFO incident.

More esoterically the Islamic notion of jinn (and fairies in the west I guess) is that they are very much of our world, sharing the same space as us, just somehow unseen as a rule though they can seemingly see and play mischief with us.

The sense of being physically touched by an unseen something is very common in presumed ghost encounters. I've had and reported it several times on here, though no squiggly balls of energy were seen. Perhaps if someone were standing watching me they'd have seen something floating behind me.
There have been one or two UFO reports of something that looked like a gigantic flying jellyfish.
Perhaps these are creatures that are lighter than air and can phase in and out of our reality.

On one of the spooky video type youtube channels there was a video of a young lady's hair being flicked by some unseen force. Though the video didn't have the black swirling mass OP describes, it reminded me of the OP's experience.

Shall I add my story to this or start a new topic ?

If it's a complete story that happened to you (as opposed to a comment on Mr Spagooter's story) it would be best to post it as a new thread here in the IHTM (It Happened To Me) section.

If it's a complete story that happened to you (as opposed to a comment on Mr Spagooter's story) it would be best to post it as a new thread here in the IHTM (It Happened To Me) section.
Will do and I try get in out tonight but if not tomorrow

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies and comments! Some great ideas and discussion!

The strangest thing for me about the whole scenario and the thing I've never been able to get my head around is that this 'happened'. . . You hear strange stories and you're never quite sure about the veracity of them (as I'm sure some of you might think regarding this very topic), and then something utterly unexplainable happens to YOU that doesn't fit into the squared off nature of our belief systems and it makes you question everything. I have the same feeling regarding a scenario involving a very clear and very obvious ABC I saw around Lechlade circa 2010 (thats for another topic).

I feel very privileged to have seen this/experienced it.

I think there was a short story by Arthur Conan Doyle that had creatures of this kind in it

I think there was a short story by Arthur Conan Doyle that had creatures of this kind in it

The Horror of the Heights. First published in 1913. One year I was invited to give a short presentation at our local skpetics in the pub group as part of their Christmas meeting. So in the tradition of ghost stories at Christmas I read them this. It's a found manuscript type of story. As I returned to my seat at the end one of the skeptics I passed harumphed and said "I don't believe it". Nope me neither, its a piece of fiction as was obvious by my introduction to it...

As I returned to my seat at the end one of the skeptics I passed harumphed and said "I don't believe it".
1581507831297.png

The Horror of the Heights. First published in 1913. One year I was invited to give a short presentation at our local skpetics in the pub group as part of their Christmas meeting. So in the tradition of ghost stories at Christmas I read them this. It's a found manuscript type of story. As I returned to my seat at the end one of the skeptics I passed harumphed and said "I don't believe it". Nope me neither, its a piece of fiction as was obvious by my introduction to it...

Must've been a barrel of laughs watching Ghostwatch or Blair Witch Project.

That's a great article.

One other thought, possible it was an animal like mentioned above.

But I wonder if it could have been a mass of dust and carpet hairs that moved because of an electrical charge....something akin to "static electricity?"

I appreciate that you weren't referring to it directly, but with specific regard to my previous post, the 'thing' had a definite feel of being something in and of itself. The whole experience had a very strong sense of being one step removed from reality as I knew it and I am certain it wasn't explicable via any normal frame of reference. It was either there or I was hallucinating. I should add that I've had a few short periods in my life (as an adult) when I've frequently had hypnopompic visual hallucinations and I often transiently visually misperceive things now, but I've never again seen (and heard, which is very important, I think, as I've never had an(other?) auditory hallucination) anything similar to what I described previously. Thank goodness!

I am reminded of an earlier dimly recalled thread about someone seeing something that looked like a ball of wool- greyish and mobile that suddenly disappeared.

Is it possible for insects to get stuck in a kind of swarm, like an insect "rat king"? I'm thinking long-legged insects specifically.

On one of the spooky video type youtube channels there was a video of a young lady's hair being flicked by some unseen force. Though the video didn't have the black swirling mass OP describes, it reminded me of the OP's experience.
I was able to find this video in a different compilation. (the video uses scary music) Beginning at the 7:50 mark.

I like that he suggests something off-screen creating the effect. He doesn't automatically play it up as supernatural.
I'm looking forward to Mr. Spagooter's feedback on how the visual compares to his own experience.

Excellent post. Similar to something I saw back in 2007 / 2008. Woke up and opened my eyes, and much to my surprise, saw a spherical shaped mass of black curling smoke - about the size of a football I thought at the time. The smoke seemed to pulse, and the thing rose up slowly, eventually vanishing - fading out slowly - just before it hit the ceiling. I had just woken up, so I put it down to some kind of hypnapompic hallucination / carry over from a dream type thing. If I'd have seen it when I had already been awake, I would have thought differently. I remember how surprised I was though - and how long it seemed the swirling mass thing took to eventually fade out.

Excellent post. Similar to something I saw back in 2007 / 2008. Woke up and opened my eyes, and much to my surprise, saw a spherical shaped mass of black curling smoke - about the size of a football I thought at the time. The smoke seemed to pulse, and the thing rose up slowly, eventually vanishing - fading out slowly - just before it hit the ceiling. I had just woken up, so I put it down to some kind of hypnapompic hallucination / carry over from a dream type thing. If I'd have seen it when I had already been awake, I would have thought differently. I remember how surprised I was though - and how long it seemed the swirling mass thing took to eventually fade out.
Sounds like what I say on at least half a dozen occasions but wish there was an answer to what it is ?

Back