• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blade Runner & Blade Runner 2049

Enjoy! I go to the cinema twice a week on average.
If I had friends to go with on a regular basis, I might go more often.
But it's more convenient and cheaper to sit at home watching a DVD.

Saw Blade Runner 2049 last night.

Twas awesome!

The three hours flew by. The visuals were amazing, best cinematography I've seem this year. The soundtrack was equally impressive, brutal and melancholic yet beautiful. I'd say you could almost call it an art-house movie, hypnotic and almost dreamlike.

Definitely seeing it again.

My enjoyment of the film wasn't even marred by the 20 German students in the middle row who wouldn't shut the flip up! Grrrrrrr!

im conflicted

close friend who saw it said it was extremely beautiful and dreamlike, on the other hand she gets a bit carried away with herself ... on the other other hand half the cast either look like theyre out of a boy band or actually are, and the whole thing has the cachet of a boy band music video

blade runner being a foundation stone of my growing up and still affected me in the same way, or maybe more, when rewatched a few weeks ago ... on those grounds do i really want to see it prometheused ?

Ridley's HOVIS director's cut .. :dhorse:

BreadRunner.jpg

"I can only make .. so many"

Bonus advert to flog electric bikes at the same location, Gold Hill .. :cool: although he looks like a replicant to me ..

Last edited:
that advert mustve had a lot of legs, im thinking it ran up to late 70s and into the 80s ...

Saw Blade Runner 2049.
A W E S O M E.
Visually and aurally stunning. Some fine acting too. I think it's right up there with the greats.

Harrison ford and Ryan Gosling giving a very serious, in-depth interview about the new Blade Runner movie

I can’t say I was overwhelmed. I found it overlong and halfway through I wished I was watching the original on the big screen.

Spoilers.......

To be positive, it did try to explore the nature of ai emotions but blew this with its treatment of women, gratuitously butchering or casually executing them.
For me, it all looked a bit murky and rather empty. I found myself visualising the busy rainy streets and the rich culture of the original. It probably didn't help I was watching the 3D here. The glasses darken the picture which was already gloomy but there was no sense of throb or any vibrance on the streets.
The music didn’t work for me either. I came out of the original with the theme still playing in my head. And this is pretty much my issue with the film. All the best things in it are from the original, this didn’t really add anything in terms of vision, creativity or style.

I guess fetishists who love the fantasy of giant women would really get a kick out of it but I just didn’t get the giant high heels in the desert scene. Gratuitous. That’s the word.

I did clock the origami sheep. A bit of a clumsy shoehorn though imo.

It isn’t a total Scott screwup but there again, it isn’t sci-fi masterpiece it wanted to be.
So, given the choice, I’d rather watch the original on the big screen than see this again.

Harrison ford and Ryan Gosling giving a very serious, in-depth interview about the new Blade Runner movie
after seeing the similarly touted hilarious interviews gosling and crowe gave for the nice guys, and being indifferent to them, and the movie, i am going to give the clip a miss

will probably see the film this evening however ... im sure to hate it ... my feelings for the original are at a zenith after watching it on the plane back from detroit, somehow was a perfect setting, transatlantic night flight, culmination of a great and intense stay, cancellation of my wedding !

I can’t say I was overwhelmed. I found it overlong and halfway through I wished I was watching the original on the big screen.

Spoilers.......

To be positive, it did try to explore the nature of ai emotions but blew this with its treatment of women, gratuitously butchering or casually executing them.
For me, it all looked a bit murky and rather empty. I found myself visualising the busy rainy streets and the rich culture of the original. It probably didn't help I was watching the 3D here. The glasses darken the picture which was already gloomy but there was no sense of throb or any vibrance on the streets.
The music didn’t work for me either. I came out of the original with the theme still playing in my head. And this is pretty much my issue with the film. All the best things in it are from the original, this didn’t really add anything in terms of vision, creativity or style.

I guess fetishists who love the fantasy of giant women would really get a kick out of it but I just didn’t get the giant high heels in the desert scene. Gratuitous. That’s the word.

I did clock the origami sheep. A bit of a clumsy shoehorn though imo.

It isn’t a total Scott screwup but there again, it isn’t sci-fi masterpiece it wanted to be.
So, given the choice, I’d rather watch the original on the big screen than see this again.
I still prefer the original too.
Yeah, the gratuitous violence towards women gives it a particularly dark outlook.
I'm wondering if Ridley Scott should have directed it himself, rather than let Villeneuve loose on it.
It's still a stunning film. All masterpieces have their flaws, I feel.

I still prefer the original too.
Yeah, the gratuitous violence towards women gives it a particularly dark outlook.
I'm wondering if Ridley Scott should have directed it himself, rather than let Villeneuve loose on it.
It's still a stunning film. All masterpieces have their flaws, I feel.

But a lot of that violence was by women against women.

I still haven't seen Blade Runner 2049 but here's one of those artificial vagina replicant birthing tubes from the trailer for real used as a fire escape system ..

I liked it. I thought the film was basically a souped up film noir, so the pace is against the type of films audiences expect from today's Hollywood. I thought it started strong, was a little slack in the middle (particularly a ridiculous fight in a hologram performance venue that was just wrong for the characters), but by the end I felt like it was a worthy successor to Blade Runner. The original is the best, don't get me wrong, but if it's four stars, this new one is three and a half.

More spoilery thoughts
This is a reverse of the original film, making a Roy Batty-style replicant into a hero of sorts. I thought the relationship with the hologram was interesting, and wasn't sure when the giant hologram at the end referred to Ryan G as Joe if that meant that what he thought was a relationship was just the programing of her computer, or if her conciousness had more to it than thought, giving further hints of the dreamlike nature of reality. I did not get the final twist in terms of lineage. The main villain replicant was very effective, and couldn't wait for her to get what was coming to her based on the carnage she left - though her crying at times made me wonder if the person within the programing was as horrified as the audience at the actions she was forced to take. Did anybody else wonder if the leader of the replicant resistance with the eye missing might have been a repaired Pris from the first film?

i found it sadly absent of any noir stylings, which is what sold me on the original ... no femme fatale, no oppressive mise en scene, it looked nice in a only god forgives way, but wasnt much more existential than i am robot ... too many wide open spaces for me, not enough light cutting through venetian blinds ... didnt jeopardise the original but wasnt worth the brou ha ha

Blade Runner 2049: Flying cars, lots of flying cars. Flying in formation; crashing through windows; crash-landing after being shot with an Emp enabled harpoon; involved in dogfights; sinking in the sea; providing an arena for fights to the death. Yes! The Flying Cars are here! If anything we have an even darker, gloomier setting for this sequel. There are snowstorms in LA, there are sandstorms. Traditional farming has largely collapsed, replaced by Synthetic Farms introduced by the Great Saviour Nilander Wallace (Jared Leto) who has also acquired the remains of Tyrell Corporation.

The film opens with Blade Runner K (Ryan Gosling) tracking down a replicant on a farm, a Nexus 8 model which has an open ended life span. The replicant has been hiding out there for 30 years. As he terminates the farmer we learn that K is himself a replicant. A new, obedient model which is subjected to regular loyalty tests. K faces prejudice from other police officers, at home he has a holographic wife, Joi (Ana de Armas). He also encounters a pleasure replicant, Mariette (MacKenzie Davis).

The remains of another long dead replicant are located on the farm and they point to a biological mystery which causes K's boss (Robin Wright) to send him on a quest. This will takes him from LA to a largely abandoned and ruinous San Diego and from there to a radioactive Las Vegas where her encounters Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford) and engages in a fistfight with him as holograms of Elvis and Liberace perform in the background. But Wallace's killer replicant Luv (Sylvia Hoeks) is on a similar quest.

An SF thriller which lives up to the magic of the original but leaves some question tantalisingly unanswered. 9/10.

i found it sadly absent of any noir stylings, which is what sold me on the original ... no femme fatale, no oppressive mise en scene, it looked nice in a only god forgives way, but wasnt much more existential than i am robot ... too many wide open spaces for me, not enough light cutting through venetian blinds ... didnt jeopardise the original but wasnt worth the brou ha ha

I guess we all get something different out of films, but while there isn't a ton of venetian blind action, there was plenty of noir characterizations: the weary cop who doggedly pursues a case regardless of personal loss, the aggravated police chief who is always ridiculously tough but who also seems to support the following through of the case, multiple clues leading to suspects keeping the "whodunnit" aspect in play, the faithful wife who tries to help as an amateur but who places themselves in jeopardy, the hooker with a heart of gold, the business leader (crime boss) who has their confederate (thug) keep the investigation going so they can take advantage of the results of the investigation.

An interesting range of reactions here.

Mine: I saw it by accident (had some time to kill, it happened to be showing) and went in knowing only who the director was (hadn't even seen a poster). For context I never really liked the original (which I find depressing/gloom inducing, plus I love the PKD book and wished the original had been more Dickian).

I thought Bladerunner 2049 was (mostly) intelligently done, I liked having a replicant as the lead, and I thought some of the technology was well thought out (I liked Joi's epiphany in the rain being interrupted by an incoming voice message, that felt Dickian). As I had time to kill I didn't mind the exceedingly leisurely/slow pace, though I think it's going to hurt its chances at the box office. Arrival (by the same director) was also contemplative but it felt much less lingering than this.

Atmospherically I thought this slid away from Noir to an odd sort of Gothic/Grimdark thing. Overall i was pleased it had the courage of its convictions and staked out some new territory (rather than being a 'more of the same' sequel) and it kept my attention, but I suspect I won't be returning to it until the dvd starts turning up cheap.

Back