• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blade Runner & Blade Runner 2049

Happy Birthday Roy
Somewhere, Blade Runner's Roy Batty Just Stepped Off the Assembly Line

Rob Bricken

Yesterday 9:25am
Filed to: BLADE RUNNER
xro7f8txckoahwfxpxdp.jpg

According to Ridley Scott’s 34-year-old (!!!) scifi classic Blade Runner, January 8th, 2016, is the day the replicant designated N6MAA10816 was first incepted. But you may know him better as Roy Batty, the philosophical, sociopathic antagonist played by Rutger Hauer in the film.

I’d wish Roy a happy birthday, but since he has a lifespan artificially limited to four years—and we know from the movie they’re not going to be a particularly happy four years—it seems kind of disingenuous. Hopefully, he’ll be able to take comfort in being able to see things we people wouldn’t believe.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/somewhere-blade-runners-roy-batty-just-stepped-off-the-1751786701

We still won’t actually believe this is happening until we’re sat in the cinema and the credits start rolling, but it looks like the Blade Runner sequel is continuing to take shape. With Harrison Ford confirmed to be returning and Ryan Gosling already cast, yet another name has been added in the form of Robin Wright. There’s absolutely no word yet on who she’s playing (or who any of them are playing, or what the film’s even about, for that matter), but hopefully we’ll hear more in due course.

In the meantime, we can celebrate the career renaissance that Wright is deservedly the recipient of. Previously best known for the likes of Forrest Gump and The Princess Bride, Wright gained a whole new audience as the Lady Macbeth-esque Claire Underwood in Netflix’s political drama House Of Cards, which she has followed up with a number of memorable roles, particularly Ari Folman’s hugely underrated The Congress. Of course, those of you who have been following the news this week will also recall that she will be showing up in Patty Jenkins’Wonder Woman movie as General Antiope, which she was seen looking especially formidable in the first official still from it. ...

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/blade-runner-2-adds-house-of-cards-star-to-cast/

Blade Runner sequel gets confirmed 2017 release date
Blade Runner
21 April 16 by K.G Orphanides
Alcon Entertainment has announced that its Blade Runner sequel will be released worldwide on 6 October 2017, three months earlier than previously planned.

Principle photography on the as-yet-untitled film is due to start in July, with British cinematographer Roger Deakins to join director Denis Villeneuve. The two have previously worked together on Prisoners and Sicario.

The cast includes Harrison Ford, set to return to the role of Rick Deckard, alongside Robin Wright (House of Cards, Everest), Ryan Gosling (The Notebook, Drive, The Ides of March) and wrestler-turned-actor Dave Bautista (Guardians of the Galaxy, Spectre).

Written by Hampton Fancher (Blade Runner, Blade Runner – the computer game) and Michael Green (Green Lantern), the sequel is set "several decades after the original", but no further details have been revealed. It follows on from Fancher and David Peoples' script to the original film, based on Philip K. Dick's classic sci-fi tale, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.

In a change from his previously reported role as the film's producer, original Blade Runner director Ridley Scott will serve as executive producer.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2016-04/21/blade-runner-sequel-set-for-2017

They got the original script writer...yay!

Apparently Ana de Armas has been cast in this sequel. I saw her in Knock Knock and thought there was somebody I'd rather see in something good, so here's hoping.

Trailer is out. So Deckard now wasn't a Replicant? Don't like Gosling as a lead for this type of film. Good actor but just doesn't look right.

I really wished out of any reboot that they'd just left Bladerunner alone.

Yeah, I don't like Gosling for this film. I really wanted somebody with real ability, that I liked.
All the roles I've seen him in have just screamed 'dickhead'.

Interesting, according to the reversed writing in Korean on the windows, the big abandoned building is/was a bank.

I see no definitive evidence that Dekard isn't a replicant in the trailer.

Crucially, we need to know whether Vangelis in on board.

Sounds very like he is.

Edit: Nope, it's Icelandic composer Jóhann Jóhannsson.

Didn't like Gosling much till I saw him in The Nice Guys this year, where he was excellent. I think he's maturing into an impressive actor, like Brad Pitt did once established as a heartthrob. But the big question is, will Ford take back all that badmouthing of the original Blade Runner he's done down the years?

I hope Deckard isn't a replicant, because that idea made a mockery of the anti-prejudice themes.

Didn't like Gosling much till I saw him in The Nice Guys this year, where he was excellent. I think he's maturing into an impressive actor, like Brad Pitt did once established as a heartthrob. But the big question is, will Ford take back all that badmouthing of the original Blade Runner he's done down the years?

I hope Deckard isn't a replicant, because that idea made a mockery of the anti-prejudice themes.

Deckard was a Replicant. The family photos, the hints left in origami. It all pointed to one thing.
I'd be interested to see if this links to the Alien franchise, seeing as they both are of the same universe.

Deckard was a Replicant. The family photos, the hints left in origami. It all pointed to one thing.
I'd be interested to see if this links to the Alien franchise, seeing as they both are of the same universe.
Good point - I wonder if we'll see any 'Weyland-Yutani' signs.

oh man, is that the giant prometheus 3000 year old stone head in the trailer ? all the cornerstones of my life are being dislodged one by one ...

Interesting, according to the reversed writing in Korean on the windows, the big abandoned building is/was a bank.

I see no definitive evidence that Dekard isn't a replicant in the trailer.

He's older. That would be lame if they have an aging replicant. Also Scott was pretty much the only person inolved in the project who wanted Deckard as a replicant

Last edited:
Dont remeber that. You dont mean JF Sebastian? He was human.
Yes...Sebastian had progeria. Premature ageing.
They used his DNA to make the replicants age and die young.

I never saw it as an aging process with the replicants. It's more like a rapid illness like a cancer or virus. If you see Roy's skin it's not aging it's blotchy like a disease.

It's more like a timebomb than aging. Roy doesn't suddenly become weak and feeble. His body is shutting down.

Also I can't see anything in the script that suggests they used any of Sebastian's DNA. He even says he can't help them to stop the aging process as he's not into biomechanics.

I also could never see why you would build a bladerunner replicant unit that ages. If the process is the same as humans then you're just going to get a weaker and it's less able to do it's job replicant.

Also people ain't going to want aging pleasure models or aging kick murder squad members either it doesn't make sense.

This is why the sequel worries me as they try and retrofit stuff onto the original.

Wonder if Rachel survived and returns, now in her 60s. Sean Young is not listed among the actors. I like the dystopic look and feel presented in the trailer. It seems they managed to copy the look of the first 1982 movie well.

Trailer is out. So Deckard now wasn't a Replicant? Don't like Gosling as a lead for this type of film. Good actor but just doesn't look right.

I really wished out of any reboot that they'd just left Bladerunner alone.
Got to agree. Deckard was so obviously a replicatant, it's senseless to change 'him' back and kind of undermines the film, if that's what they've done.

Got to agree. Deckard was so obviously a replicatant, it's senseless to change 'him' back and kind of undermines the film, if that's what they've done.
Perhaps he was given the same long life span as Rachel was(according to the Theatrical version). Perhaps they're the same generation Nexus.

but, but it isn't mentioned in the script?
It's kinda implied rather than mentioned outright. You just have to join the dots.
J.F. Sebastian is a genetic technician who works for the Tyrell Corporation, which created the replicants.
He created a whole load of odd 'friends' that lurk about at his home.
He has some kind of progeria.
The replicants have a kind of self-destruct mechanism built into their DNA, which limits their lives.
He says there's a bit of him in the replicants - which suggests that the DNA fault that causes his condition may have been used to limit the lives of the replicants.

I'm not entirely clear about 2 things - (1) why are blade runners needed if the replicants die young anyway - and (2) why hasn't ol' J.F. done some DNA retro-engineering to cure himself?

It's kinda implied rather than mentioned outright. You just have to join the dots.
J.F. Sebastian is a genetic technician who works for the Tyrell Corporation, which created the replicants.
He created a whole load of odd 'friends' that lurk about at his home.
He has some kind of progeria.
The replicants have a kind of self-destruct mechanism built into their DNA, which limits their lives.
He says there's a bit of him in the replicants - which suggests that the DNA fault that causes his condition may have been used to limit the lives of the replicants.

I'm not entirely clear about 2 things - (1) why are blade runners needed if the replicants die young anyway - and (2) why hasn't ol' J.F. done some DNA retro-engineering to cure himself?

That is a complete stretch and really weak. It would be far to Doctor Who/Star Trek to be the case.

As I said before JF clearly states to Roy and Pris that he has no idea how to stop or slow down their demise as its not his area of expertise.

Re: your other point, rogue replicants can still do a lot of damage in 4 years if they have decided to stop taking orders.

JF Sebastian has lived with his condition for years, look at his place, look at his toys, he was refused a place in an off-world colony. His skin is dry it isn't blotchy like the way Roy's goes.

What happens to Roy at the end, and he and Tyrell talk about it when they discuss cures, is like a time-bomb and akin to a virus. It's not accelerated aging. He doesn't get weak or feeble his body instead starts to rebel.

Sebastian is used to show the similarity between humans and replicants and also just how ruthless Batty can be in his pursuit of life and his contempt of his makers.

If any of the original writers come and and say they used Sebastian's DNA I will never watch the film again because it would be like watching Eastenders.

So...you're saying that Sebastian was simply a plot device (to be used and then cast aside), and not actually central to the origin of the replicants?
I find that surprising and I don't think it makes a lot of sense.

This might be an incredibly dumb question so, please excuse me if it is...

I understand "Bladerunner" was based on a K.Dick novel. Was Deckard a replicant in that?

Back