• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blade Runner & Blade Runner 2049

Incidentally, how impressive was the CGI Sean Young? After Rogue One I was unconvinced they could crack the uncanny valley, but the Rachael was an excellent item of effects and motion capture. Clever to get her to declaim the film in the press, to divert attention from the fact she was in it, too.
I think it was pretty convincing.

... how impressive was the CGI Sean Young ... the Rachael was an excellent item of effects and motion capture.
best performance of the movie and ultimately the sole reason for seeing the sequent

I agree it was realistic in that it looked like a real person - me and the wife both commented 'It's weird that they got someone who doesn't look like her though' :conf2:

Incidentally, how impressive was the CGI Sean Young? After Rogue One I was unconvinced they could crack the uncanny valley, but the Rachael was an excellent item of effects and motion capture. Clever to get her to declaim the film in the press, to divert attention from the fact she was in it, too.
I have to confess to only being about half way through watching BR2049 but I had to check this CG Rachael out just now on youtube, spoilers be dammed .. that's incredible, if I hadn't seen the original film or actress, I wouldn't have been able to tell that wasn't a real person .. I think they've finally cracked convincing CG humans.

You: You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?
Her: [pause] Wait, did you get that from Blade Runner?
I put that in as an icebreaker on some dating site or something, and got a few perplexed replies, and only a couple who got it.

Yeah, but I'm not good at the dating app thing. Or the dating thing. Or the whole having to interact with people thing.

Still haven't seen Blade Runner 2049, but I did hear a blast of the original soundtrack earlier this week, and was reminded just how brilliant it was.

I put that in as an icebreaker on some dating site or something, and got a few perplexed replies, and only a couple who got it.

Yeah, but I'm not good at the dating app thing. Or the dating thing. Or the whole having to interact with people thing.

Still haven't seen Blade Runner 2049, but I did hear a blast of the original soundtrack earlier this week, and was reminded just how brilliant it was.

It's one of my favourite pieces of music. I have the 4 CD compilation of the official version, the outtakes, the computer game soundtrack and the similar non-Blade Runner material he was working on at the same time. Back when I lived alone in a bedsit I would have them playing on loop wheneverI was at home--even a simple activity like making tea was infused with existential doubt.

The 'Esper Edition' is interesting:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_(soundtrack)#Esper_Edition

But the 'EMS Recombination' is the best:

http://www.vangelis-rarities.com/index.php?methode=methode1&id=191

Fellow anoraks may PM me for a listen.

Edit: perhaps it has been superseded. I've never listened to this version.

http://www.vangelis-rarities.com/index.php?methode=methode1&id=185

UNKLE out together an incredible mix of movie music a few years ago, I highly recommend having a listen. You might spot some Blade Runner bits...

download.jpg

Handily uploaded to Youtube!

I've finally got around to completely watching the sequel with no distractions and wow .. the only reason it loses a point to 9 out of ten is because I'm loyal to anything and anyone I love (the first Blade Runner) but I thought it was incredible .. I'm lost for words on just how good it was ..

Only a fellow Brummie could put laughs into a Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling interview .. and I want one of those glasses ..

Only a fellow Brummie could put laughs into a Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling interview .. and I want one of those glasses ..

Blade Runner shot glasses like that are handmade in Italy and cost £50 each.

I much prefer BR 2049 to the original, which I found mostly very dull.

How close did Blade Runner come to predicting 2019?
Blade Runner: How well did the film predict 2019's tech?
By Szu Ping ChanTechnology reporter
  • 8 hours ago
It's November 2019 and Los Angeles is in a state of urban decay. The population has dwindled, and humans face a new threat from manufactured biological robots gone rogue...
Back in 1982, this is how Blade Runner director Ridley Scott imagined the world would be.
Thirty-seven years after the film was released, how accurate were its predictions about how technology would play a bigger role in our lives?
etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50247479

Blade Runner took place in November 2019. I now live in a world where Blade Runner is no longer the future...
"Skin jobs. That's what he called them ..... in history books he was the kind of man who called black men niggers .."

I hope our future world is more polite to AI, one of our chefs at work decided to pause and say "ALEXA.. thank you" as we were all walking out of the door and going home. There was a brief pause before she answered "Anytime" .. treat people, and robots, as you'd want to be treated yourself.

May I just add a note to say that, despite the claims of recently exhumed meme, Carrie Fisher did not have a cameo in Blade Runner.

Although from this single angle (and not really others), one of the extras has a certain resemblance.

3e7zFxi.jpg

Back