• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blade Runner & Blade Runner 2049

Yeah, we are lagging a long way behind Blade Runner on most tech, but we are making good progress on the whole pollution issue.

Our video conferencing tech, mobile phones and photography are now better than predicted in Blade Runner.
We just need the flying cars.

We also need the dress sense.

I was at a conference in downtown LA in the 90's and realized that I had been walking for two days from the hotel to the conference to the occasional restaurant all on walkways above the street. The streets, if you leaned over and looked, were occupied by the folks who took the LA public transit and walked. Reminded me immediately of Blade Runner where the privileged never have to touch the ground.

Blade Runner, the game is now available from GOG.com, if you want to experience the Blade Runner universe. Originally released in 1997 it was a hog on the computer's resources. Should no longer be a problem.

Blade Runner, the game is now available from GOG.com, if you want to experience the Blade Runner universe. Originally released in 1997 it was a hog on the computer's resources. Should no longer be a problem.

I saw this and was in two minds to as to whether to buy it. I played it back in the day at my old housemate's place and it's good, but I have three other games that I bought and never got around to playing through.

If anybody needs a preview, this chap did a partial play-through a while back (probably NSFW language):

Graphics in it aren't the best, but at 9 dollars, it is good value.

Bought it to have something to get time going in the period between christmas eve and new years eve. I got it on CD Rom but it will be a problem to let it run on a portable which is without a CD Rom player. I'll take with me the original user manual though.

A recent pic of the magnificent atrium of the Bradbury Building, designed by Sumner Hunt and constructed by George Wyman in 1893 .. but J.F.Sebastian wasn't in this morning .. visiting the off world colonies probably?

abradbury.jpg

I remember my wife and I sitting in a theater in 1982 waiting for the film to start. A young couple walked in with a child, maybe 3 or 4 years old. I saw them smile at the child and say, "It's got Han Solo in it!" Five minutes into the film, they were gone. Guess there were no online reviews in 1982.

I remember my wife and I sitting in a theater in 1982 waiting for the film to start. A young couple walked in with a child, maybe 3 or 4 years old. I saw them smile at the child and say, "It's got Han Solo in it!" Five minutes into the film, they were gone. Guess there were no online reviews in 1982.
I bet it was at the bit when Deckard says the N word.

I saw this and was in two minds to as to whether to buy it. I played it back in the day at my old housemate's place and it's good, but I have three other games that I bought and never got around to playing through.

If anybody needs a preview, this chap did a partial play-through a while back (probably NSFW language):

I played the original too and it was years ahead graphically. The story was pretty good and nicely paced it was just too short.

Have you seen the Harrison Ford voice over version of Blade Runner? .. essentially we hear Deckard's thoughts film noir style throughout the film .. Captain Bryant is telling Deckard there's some 'skinjobs' walking the streets which in the Blade Runner world is a racists term for replicants .. we then hear Ford's voice over say "Skinjobs, what's what he called them .. in history books he was the kind of man who'd call black men n*****."

That was about five to ten minutes into the film.

Have you seen the Harrison Ford voice over version of Blade Runner? .. essentially we hear Deckard's thoughts film noir style throughout the film .. Captain Bryant is telling Deckard there's some 'skinjobs' walking the streets which in the Blade Runner world is a racists term for replicants .. we then hear Ford's voice over say "Skinjobs, what's what he called them .. in history books he was the kind of man who'd call black men n*****."

That was about five to ten minutes into the film.

Yep I remember now. I've not watched the voice over version in 20 odd years as it's rubbish compared to the Director's Cut and Final Cut.

Yep I remember now. I've not watched the voice over version in 20 odd years as it's rubbish compared to the Director's Cut and Final Cut.
It's definitely the worst edited version of the film but I had a soft spot for the film noir voice over, like those old black and white detective films: "The dame was hot but I had her sized up the second she walked into my office" kind of stuff ... plus it was the first version of Blade Runner I ever saw (on TV), I know Ridley Scott didn't like the voice over either.

It's definitely the worst edited version of the film but I had a soft spot for the film noir voice over, like those old black and white detective films: "The dame was hot but I had her sized up the second she walked into my office" kind of stuff ... plus it was the first version of Blade Runner I ever saw (on TV), I know Ridley Scott didn't like the voice over either.

It just doesn't make much sense when you watch the later versions.

Back