• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Bland' British Food Goes Indian

WhistlingJack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
'Bland' British food goes Indian

By Geeta Pandey

BBC News, Delhi

A celebrity British chef hopes to woo "over-spiced" Indian palates with her version of "bland" British food.

Manju Malhi is in the Indian capital, Delhi, to present a 40-part television series promoting British cuisine.

Curry has colonised Britain in the past few decades and thousands of Indian restaurants have been set up there.

India too has accepted Chinese, Italian and Japanese food, but British cuisine has failed to tempt Indian tastes. Ms Malhi says she will right that wrong.

"There is not one British restaurant in Delhi, whereas in Britain there are thousands of Indian restaurants, so why this imbalance? I'm trying to say British food is good if you know how to cook it properly," she says.

"Lights on. Cue," shouts the show director and as the cameras begin to roll, Ms Malhi smiles and starts talking. "When you cook with lots of love, the food tastes better," she says.

Ms Malhi has been brought to India by the Delhi-based NDTV channel to do the series for their yet-to-be-launched lifestyle channel.

"They wanted someone with British/European upbringing, but also someone who understood Indian sensibilities, so they thought I was the perfect candidate for them."

Ms Malhi says the reason why British food is not so popular here is because it has had a bad press.

"Many people say if it doesn't have chillies in it, it's not worth eating, but I don't believe in that. Sometimes if you eat spicy food all the time, you want something that's a little 'blander'," she says.

"I've made mango crumble, the crew here loved the shepherd's pie - they never knew a British dish could taste like that and they were amazed," she says.

"I've made bangers and mash [sausages and mashed potato], the bread and butter pudding has gone down very well too. But Welsh rarebit - they weren't too keen on, it's just cheese-on-toast, they say, even though there is a fine art to making it."

To make the food more palatable, Ms Malhi has been modifying her dishes.

So fish and chips is made with a pinch of turmeric and a hint of chilli powder to give it a bit of a kick. And an English version of spag bol (originally Italian spaghetti bolognese) is made for vegetarians.

"I have turned the whole process around - in Britain curry is diluted to make it less spicy for the British taste buds, here I'm adding spices to English dishes to make them more acceptable."

And if the proof of the pudding is in the eating, the crew have been eating out of her hand.

Ms Malhi, who learned cooking mostly by watching her mother prepare Indian food at home, won a BBC competition a few years ago by making coriander chutney.

She cooked her first meal as a teenager - not an Indian or English dish, but a version of pasta carbonara.

"My mum was pretty critical, saying the pasta's a bit soggy, and the sauce seems a bit salty. You know what mums are like? They are the biggest critics, hardest to please.

"Initially she would say it's not made like this, or we don't cook it like that, or we don't put mustard seeds in later, we put them in first.

"But when I started to create dishes, she tasted it and said, 'Wow it tastes good'.

"And then she tried to replicate one of my dishes, and she said it didn't taste the same! That's the best compliment I've ever got," Ms Malhi says.

Having won her mother's approval, she's now hoping to win over India too.

But India has had a long association with Britain and if Indians have not accepted British food so far, what makes her believe things will change now?

"Perhaps the Indians were upset with the British for other reasons," she says, making an indirect reference to British colonial rule.

"And they [Indian people] said we'll teach you a lesson, we will not eat your food. But now that was 60 years ago, I think we should all put our knives and forks down and settle down to a good meal."

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2007/06/14 10:21:17 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Has the british kitchen ever created anything other than Fish & Chips and Haggis?

Haggis with curry sauce - mm mmm tastes good!

Oh, sorry, Haggis is Scottish? You're left with Fish & Chips then.

Nowt wrong with the great British roast - leg of lamb, veg, Yorkshire pud, gravy and mint sauce. Mmmm. Much nicer than that insipid French food (you know, 'veiled in a thick creamy sauce', yecch).

:D

However, I don't think it would be too popular in India, as they're mostly vegetarians.

SameOldVardoger said:
Has the british kitchen ever created anything other than Fish & Chips and Haggis?

Traditional1.jpg

<SMUG>

I think I rest my case!

EDIT - Video evidence

Frobush said:
SameOldVardoger said:

Traditional1.jpg

<SMUG>

I think I rest my case!

EDIT - Video evidence

Wow! Forgot about casserole.
That makes two! Or three... if the Scots want to be part of GB that is.

At least you got some entertaining TV chefs and cooks, like the lovely Nigella Lawson, the naked chef Jamie Oliver who likes to go around naked all the time :lol: and that filthy mouthed Gordon Ramsay.

It was the first thing that sprung to mind for me, too.

That and the fact that Chicken Tikka Marsala is a British invention, that had to be exported to India due to demand among British tourists or something. (I think the details were in The Book of General Ignorance, I'd have to check.)

And a vindaloo in Britain is somewhat different to a vindaloo in India, I understand.

That'll be masala, a mix of spices ... marsala is a (mostly) fortified wine. Indian food in the UK mostly bears no resemblance to anything you'd get served in India, it seems to me, and is largely not prepared by people from an Indian background.

Vindaloo is another, older 'Indianisation' of a European dish, from the southern Portugese colonies, and while it is pretty hot that's not it's main characteristic out there as it is over here .... the name means meat with potatoes/garlic/vinegar (depending on whose etymology you believe) and is a distinctly Christian dish as it is often made with pork (and very nice it is too).

A large proportion of people in India are vegetarian and/or have other strict dietry restrictions on religious grounds and vast teeming millions of them don't really have much choice about what they eat at all.

The big problem with recreating traditional British food in India as far as I'm concerned would be getting your hands on enough meat - even in fancy restaurants you just don't get the huge solid chunks of flesh you'd associate with 'traditional' British cooking.
I'm also not convinced there's quite the colonial hangover going on that that article suggests .... a faintly comical, somewhat outdated and over-formal English is still the prestige language of India and the advertising over there pretty uniformly represents some bizarre pale skinned, western dressed aspirational mix of yuppidom and Jane Austin .... if ever there was a country still in love with its oppressors I'd say that was it.

So, to be honest it strikes me as an odd story all round, this, but good luck to 'em :)

Having known many from the Subcontinent I would agree that they certainly have a rather victorian language.

And yes, they do seem to be in two minds about us.

Back