• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blocking A User

I think I was pissed off by the asymmetry of the situation, that I don't have to look at this rantings but he can see mine, which is a shame as I wanted to contribute to the Flight 19 discussion.
Basically, I recounted a story that I'd spent weeks researching and because he couldn't initially find it, he called it a load of bullshit. Then he ate humble pie and admitted that he could corroborate it. Then, to get his own back, he basically said that my conclusions were crap because I'd used the inquest into people's death rather than a Government report. Then he had a go at the locals round here because the commonly known name of the incident isn't what he wanted it to be called, or what was in the Government report.
People sometimes project their own failings and insecurity on to others as looking into a mirror reflects something they don't like to face.

I think I was pissed off by the asymmetry of the situation, that I don't have to look at this rantings but he can see mine, which is a shame as I wanted to contribute to the Flight 19 discussion.
Basically, I recounted a story that I'd spent weeks researching and because he couldn't initially find it, he called it a load of bullshit. Then he ate humble pie and admitted that he could corroborate it. Then, to get his own back, he basically said that my conclusions were crap because I'd used the inquest into people's death rather than a Government report. Then he had a go at the locals round here because the commonly known name of the incident isn't what he wanted it to be called, or what was in the Government report.
I saw most of that before I tuned it out. I agree it was lame and I wondered if maybe somebody peed in his coffee that morning or something. He's not a bad fellow, and I think most of us could sort out what was going on.

Please do contribute to the Flight 19 discussion. It's an interesting case, no matter what really happened.

I hope you do post your research, Paul, I'd be very interested in reading it.

There's always the 'Micky Mouse voice' technique. If someone is winding you up /being an rsole just re read their posts applying the said voice (other silly cartoon voices are available).

Amazing how trolls back down or disappear when they get jumped on by other users. A tiny proportion keep at it though, going as far as arguing with mods, as we saw recently here. Ignoring them completely usually works. As I said above usually quite pathetic individuals.

There is a flip side to all this sort of thing though. A couple of forums I visit occasionally don't allow any dissention whatsoever, and even dry humour is frowned on. Results in only nicey nicey posts being allowed and the most boring forums on the planet. Sheer belligerent rudeness should be stamped on, although some forums seem to allow it anyway. All comes down to attitudes to forums, mine being not to take them as earth shatteringly important.

Dr Paul, you are worrying far too much about an exchange in an internet forum.

You published your research. Great, that is one of the things this forum is for. I am always grateful for anyone who takes the time to post something that is knowledgeable and carefully considered.

Someone reacted badly and called it bullsh. Bad, but that happens on the internet.

The person went away, checked their facts, and admitted their error. Wow! If only that were more common, the world would be a better place.

The person disputed your conclusions. If that could be done constructively, then that is surely one of the purposes of this forum, and one of the reasons for publishing your research: to see what others think.

Using the inquest rather than the government report? Surely this is a valid point for discussion. In an ideal world, a researcher would have access to both so they could compare and contrast.

The name of the incident? There is a valid concern that the "official" name is likely to be helpful if others are searching for information.

I didn't see the exchange and cannot comment on the tone or language used. However, given that a huge proportion of people are poor at expressing themselves, and equally poor at dealing with disagreement, and that many people on the internet are shooting from the hip while typing on their phone as they sit on the toilet, we need to make reasonable allowances.

Please keep posting interesting stuff, and worry a bit less about other people's negative reactions. :)

Well yes, but you can find out a lot about the incident if the "unofficial" name was used. The respondent didn't and because he couldn't find it, he called it crap.

I am very careful with my research and conclusions and it hurts when people cast wrongful assertions. If this was just a debate, I'd accept it and happily join in. This bordered on someone, having found out that he was wrong once, wanted to get his own back by having a go at me.

Surely if you can't see someone's assinine responses to your posts, you can still see the reactions of other members of the forum to someone as they can still see all the posts. Sometimes it's quite nice to sit back and watch someone being annihilated by everyone else*, whilst you can't even see what they said...

*this has never happened to me on this forum. I am talking about elsewhere.

Just ignoring a person won't help you. Then the person can hurl abuse at you and you can't read it, but the rest of the forum will, and you won't be able to report it either.

I don't ignore anyone, at least not with the forum functions. In my mind is another thing.

At the moment I'm in a dreadfully low state and I can't bear to see any insults hurled at me. Better to just pretend that they don't exist.
I'm very sorry to hear that, Paul. For what it's worth, I value your contributions to this site, and I would be sad if they stopped. That said, please do what's best for your well-being right now.

Just ignoring a person won't help you. Then the person can hurl abuse at you and you can't read it, but the rest of the forum will, and you won't be able to report it either.

I don't ignore anyone, at least not with the forum functions. In my mind is another thing.
Surely if the rest of the forum (and certainly the Mods) can read it, it would be stopped by them and the person would be dealt with?

'Ad Hominem' abuse/criticism/attacks are not welcome.
Such actions are AFAIK are issued with a warning and a request to rewrite/withdraw such comments.
Perhaps one of the mods could validate my assumption on that?

'Ad Hominem' abuse/criticism/attacks are not welcome.
Such actions are AFAIK are issued with a warning and a request to rewrite/withdraw such comments.
Perhaps one of the mods could validate my assumption on that?

This is correct.

Although consultation is a courtesy; if you've been an utter ****, your post will be removed immediately and no conversation will precede the warning.

At the moment I'm in a dreadfully low state and I can't bear to see any insults hurled at me. Better to just pretend that they don't exist.
Take a break. You should be off'ere by now and knee-deep in that rich morass of industrial unearthliness to which I directed you. :wink2:

Thanks Escargot, yes it's a mine field of great data. I need something to distract me, as my other project has derailed (pun might be intended)

Well, if this thread proves anything, it's that @DrPaulLee is a valued member of our community. I didn't see the particular thread which prompted this one, but don't let negative comments from one, or even a few, stop you contributing for the benefit of the many.

You have to remember that there are small minded people, or people who make small minded comments, without realising the effect they have on others.

I was once insulted on a Forum because I mentioned that friend of mine had received a certain professional qualification which is not rare, but not common either. Perhaps 500 - 700 people in the UK hold this qualification.

A user claimed this could not possibly be true, and that I was inventing it to "impress other Forum users."

The absurdity of his comment was manifest: I had never posted on that Forum under my own name, and had never met any of the other posters.
My comment was relevant to a discussion about how useful that professional qualification was.

But that poster somehow felt that as he had posted on that Forum longer than I had, and "knew" other posters, I was somehow being uppity.

Plain triffling!

And you have to remember that by their very nature, internet Forums attract people with Apsergers.
I am one of them.

Some of us can really be pedantic to the point of perfection.

This has use in some professions..we make quite effective fact-checkers, researchers, lexicographers etc.

But it can certainly come across as rude and overbearing on an internet Forum when read by one who is not on the spectrum.

Please take a deep breath, remember that your research is important. But like all research, is a work in progress, subject to suggestions, the uncovering of new data, the new interpretations of existing data, and the inclusion of differing opinions...i.e. the name of something ...which can exist concurrently without problem.

Your posts are very welcome here, please continue to post and enjoy the sometimes amazing nature of what is posted here and the good will of so many who regularly post here.

I've linked to some of your posts as research material for our active paranormal group in the past. I'm not just cheering you up, it's the truth dude. Keep going boss. ( and tell the cunts to fuck off )

Here's what Dame Helen Mirren says on the subject.

Helen Mirren.jpg

Gosh, I love that woman. :loveu:

Back